I spoke with a current player.

Advertisement
every bum can win 9 games here. the talent that we recruit allows for that (golden, Manny, Shannon all did that). they were all trash coaches. no one is talking about not being a fan lol. we can criticize a failure in a persons coaching ability and still be fans. Mario failed as a coach. he passed w flying colors as a recruiter. he had a chance to give himself a pass by making quick changes to the staff after what was an abortion of a season. we still have zero staff changes and form everything coming out publicly, it doesn't sound like were getting changes
Every bum can't win 9+ games here. As you stated, we've had trash coaches and we haven't won 9+ games in the last 5 seasons, only 4 times in the last 17 seasons and 7 times in the last 20 seasons (which was the end of our elite years).

The guys from Footballville also mentioned last night that a player described the new environment as military-like.
I’m okay with that right now to be honest. He doesn‘t know the kids, haven’t built a relationship with them and its been well known the culture was not good before he came in. Military style is exactly what is needed and helped weed out kids who probably weren‘t a good fit to begin with.

But as he gets more of his guys in, I’d expect that to change. I don’t think he had to deal with a lot of outgoing transfers when he was at Oregon, and that’s usually telling towards buy in and loyalty from the kids he brings in.

Lying Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

Advertisement
Dear Players,

Here are your coaching choices:

A) Guy who lost to FIU
B) Guy who was fired by FIU
C) Transfer

Love, the UM Admin

"Oh, yes, Darrell, you raised your hand...."

Coaches job is to teach. Players not understanding= bad coaching
This is a horrendous take. This is supposed to be the highest level of amateur football. You shouldn’t have to teach the basics.

Kirby Smart isn’t teaching the fundamentals of a playbook. Dudes are expected to know that stuff the day they walk in. But that’s the crap we were dealing with.

Notice how few players we are taking from one of the worst school districts in America, right in our own back yard.

This is a horrendous take. This is supposed to be the highest level of amateur football. You shouldn’t have to teach the basics.

Kirby Smart isn’t teaching the fundamentals of a playbook. Dudes are expected to know that stuff the day they walk in. But that’s the **** we were dealing with.

Notice how few players we are taking from one of the worst school districts in America, right in our own back yard.
The top programs have the benefit of selecting the best players and they tend be further along than others but nearly all players are going to need development and coaching/teaching.

Thousands of kids are joining college every year and you cannot expect all of them to be ready to go. There is so much they don't learn in high school as many get by on athletics alone.

Nick and Kirby absolutely ensure their players are taught the fundamentals. It doesn't matter if it is a 3 point stance or advanced concepts. It's called player development and if you are expecting to rely on high school coaches to make sure all your players are good to go then you are going to lose or miss out on a lot of potential.

Fundamentals are taught and worked on at every level otherwise coaches would be unnecessary.

Advertisement
The top programs have the benefit of selecting the best players and they tend be further along than others but nearly all players are going to need development and coaching/teaching.

Thousands of kids are joining college every year and you cannot expect all of them to be ready to go. There is so much they don't learn in high school as many get by on athletics alone.

Nick and Kirby absolutely ensure their players are taught the fundamentals. It doesn't matter if it is a 3 point stance or advanced concepts. It's called player development and if you are expecting to rely on high school coaches to make sure all your players are good to go then you are going to lose or miss out on a lot of potential.

Fundamentals are taught and worked on at every level otherwise coaches would be unnecessary.

There are different levels of coaching. I’ll use baseball since I’ve only coached for 30 years.

One kid needs to be taught how to stand on the rubber. How to pitch from the stretch. What it means to pitch to locations. Another kid needs a coach to help him increase his spin rate and add arm-side run to his circle change.

We’ve been getting that first get. Georgia gets the second kid. It’s two different kinds of teaching and coaching.

Kirby Smart isn’t teaching the fundamentals of a playbook. Dudes are expected to know that stuff the day they walk in. But that’s the **** we were dealing with.

You’re a fool if you don’t think college coaches should teach basic fundamentals. If a coach can’t explain what he wants his players to do then guess what, the coach will never have success with that team.

When you’re a freshman in college there’s a reason universities make students take college algebra or you have to test out. I was a d1 athlete. Great coaches always start with fundamentals and build off of them.

You’re a fool if you don’t think college coaches should teach basic fundamentals. If a coach can’t explain what he wants his players to do then guess what, the coach will never have success with that team.

When you’re a freshman in college there’s a reason universities make students take college algebra or you have to test out. I was a d1 athlete. Great coaches always start with fundamentals and build off of them.
So clueless.

Coaches at the highest levels don’t waste time on kids who need to be taught the basics. There are too many kids to choose from who are ready for advanced coaching. That’s why our recruiting focus has changed. Let Toledo come get the fast kid who doesn’t understand routes. We will go find the fast kid who already has a strong grasp of the concept.

Advertisement
So clueless.

Coaches at the highest levels don’t waste time on kids who need to be taught the basics. There are too many kids to choose from who are ready for advanced coaching. That’s why our recruiting focus has changed. Let Toledo come get the fast kid who doesn’t understand routes. We will go find the fast kid who already has a strong grasp of the concept.
So, for example, Cormani doesn’t need to be taught the basics of how to defend a route tree; someone at his skill set level is expected to know off the bat? It’s all just the Staff refining his skills and familiarizing him with our system?

So, for example, Cormani doesn’t need to be taught the basics of how to defend a route tree; someone at his skill set level is expected to know off the bat? It’s all just the Staff refining his skills and familiarizing him with our system?
The basics? No. Advanced concepts? Yes. I know every coach at Lakeland and Lake Gibson. Cormani understands the position.

Read the OP. We weren’t brining in guys who even knew the basics. We just brought in “talent”.

Example: I have a Junior who is committed to Vanderbilt for baseball. Vanderbilt can see the kid’s talent. They don’t need help with that. But what they wanted to know when they called me was the kid’s understanding of the game. They have too many kids on their radar to bring in a player who doesn’t know how to hit a cutoff man or how to round 3rd base.

Advertisement
Example: I have a Junior who is committed to Vanderbilt for baseball. Vanderbilt can see the kid’s talent. They don’t need help with that. But what they wanted to know when they called me was the kid’s understanding of the game. They have too many kids on their radar to bring in a player who doesn’t know how to hit a cutoff man or how to round 3rd base.
I think Mario is so eager to recruit McClain because of the time and coaching that Cormani will save him, all of which is implied in what you wrote. We just weren’t bringing in those kind of “Bama/UGA” kind of players, even under Richt, whose heart was in the right place, but who didn’t really have the Administration’s backing.

All your points are well taken, though.

The basics? No. Advanced concepts? Yes. I know every coach at Lakeland and Lake Gibson. Cormani understands the position.

Read the OP. We weren’t brining in guys who even knew the basics. We just brought in “talent”.
Tackling is very basic and not at all an advance concept and yet....at every level you see it done poorly.

Maybe you are referring to something specific but 1000s of high school players are just not all ready to go and need to be taught if you want to maximize their potential.

Tackling is very basic and not at all an advance concept and yet....at every level you see it done poorly.

Maybe you are referring to something specific but 1000s of high school players are just not all ready to go and need to be taught if you want to maximize their potential.
I think you’re missing just how mentally unprepared our roster was. To expect a new coach to just come in and “teach them” just isn’t a realistic point of view. Especially if guys weren’t interested in learning.

I think you’re missing just how mentally unprepared our roster was. To expect a new coach to just come in and “teach them” just isn’t a realistic point of view. Especially if guys weren’t interested in learning.
We are talking about different things if you are referring to our roster.

But on this subject, I would expect a lot more than we got. The entire staff did poorly preparing these players to play. This is not even up for debate.

It almost seems the coaches expected the players to be all Americans and gave up coaching when they found out they weren't. It could also be argued the players became uninterested because the coaches seemed uninterested in teaching them or couldn'tteach them...at least some of them.

Advertisement
Back