I re-watched the film.

ChosenOne

Band
Banned
I know I'll get negged into Oblivion.
BENCH MCCLOUD PLEASE..... I re-watched the UVa game and I'm still seeing from him what I've been seeing ALL YEAR. He CAN NOT continue to play because of the hype or rating he came in with.

NOT tying to steal CanesVision thing. This is just the plays of McCloud.
I'll do stills just to show you how he just deflates our defense and why we need to either find a replacement or run a 4-2-5 defense.

"What about McClouds forced fumble?" McCloud had nothing to do with it. WR tries to tuck away the ball and he punches it out himself.
[video]https://i.gyazo.com/3004e00a4689c5490ae7ae92ebab2580.mp4[/video]

2nd & 13. We run a zone and McCloud is in position make a tackle. Misses the tackle and they pick up the first down on what should of been 3rd & 5.
823ad37f444b4f61de80d8601b560e27.png

2nd & 7. They throw to the flats. McCloud takes a poor angle and overruns it. What should of been a 3rd & 4 is a TD for UVa.
7a47efe8ddd5cdb3b132dc5aeb2d36bf.png

ca4c9933bc92d2aeb887512d20a6813c.png

UVa runs a simple reverse and everyone but McCloud see the ball. McCloud wasn't even blocked. He actually bumped into the O-lineman running the wrong way when the runner took a good 4-5 steps going the other way.
7d9c57f740a0ec2998a192308e13a25f.png

Punt time. This ball is WELL KICKED before McCloud even sees the punter. Crashes into him and draws a flag.
15e59bfa57d52c6f6413336dea9a4ada.png

2nd & 16. Ball not even completely caught yet and he already off balance. What should of been a 5 yard gain turns into a 13 yard gain.
618ffbb6840af6f9f9cb03d0d35ed87d.png

3dc4467b495bbd537c90104b5f265b8e.png

Zach McCloud = Tyrone Cornelius. BENCH HIM. This isn't a one game thing either. He murders our defense.

Advertisement
As much as I think you’re a horrible poster, tough to argue. I thought some of it was Diaz going with a 4-3 in light of them going 4-5 wide and not matching up with dbs.

I don’t have an issue with what you’ve said. He performed ok at best. He truly only flashed last year. And he’s struggled to even do that this year. Maybe he doesn’t know the defense as well as he should? Or maybe he’s not a good fit for this position in the defense? Maybe switch him and Pinckney that cat will find a way to make plays anywhere! Or just move to a nickel look and put Amari Carter there. He’s strong enough to help in run support but obviously would be much bettter in coverage.

I agree with OP. Zach’s play yesterday jumped off the screen. I think one day we’ll look back at this thread and laugh but for now, if I’m in OC I’m looking at film and running offense to get that guy in exposed situations. Misdirections, hitting backs and tight ends in the flat, etc.

Advertisement
We are undefeated and heading for our 6th NC. Let's relax and enjoy the ride some rather than act like it is the last 15 years when we actually did not more about football than the coaching staffs. Each play or player is not perfect but the record is; lets not mess with perfect too much.

Zach doesn't seem to be a very instinctive player, not a very high 'FBI' if you will. Not the end of the world, not the first guy in history for this to be an issue. Coming into the season I thought his best attribute was being a punishing tackler but his tackling has been inadequate this year. He needs to go back in the lab and improve this summer, it doesn't make us bad fans by pointing out the obvious.

Wilder played a lot yesterday. There isn't much depth there, so good or bad, McCloud is going to play a bunch. If he doesn't grow, the coaches have shown they will play freshman and sophomore players over upperclassmen, so it is what it is.

I'm not saying he's beyond saving because he's not. He played pretty well against Notre Dame. But he's looked lost for a majority of the year and lacks awareness. Yesterday he was a complete liability. The roughing play was inexcusable

Advertisement
We are undefeated and heading for our 6th NC. Let's relax and enjoy the ride some rather than act like it is the last 15 years when we actually did not more about football than the coaching staffs. Each play or player is not perfect but the record is; lets not mess with perfect too much.

A lot of teams are "heading" towards a national champion. This is precisely the time where you tighten things up and find weak links that need fixing.

Get through Pittsburgh and it's Clemson—with two wins needed over the likes of an Alabama, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Auburn, Georgia, et al. Not going to get away with what the Canes have gotten away with against mid-tier ACC foes when lining up against the nation's best.

I'm not saying he's beyond saving because he's not. He played pretty well against Notre Dame. But he's looked lost for a majority of the year and lacks awareness. Yesterday he was a complete liability. The roughing play was inexcusable

No player is beyond saving but you need one **** of a coach (ie: Coach Kool) to fix these types of problems and honestly Manny Diaz isn't on the level of coach Kool in terms of coaching up a position.

This is why we need to recruit fast, agile LBs who are excellent in space because our LBs are almost always in situations like this because of Manny's zone blitzing habit.

I understand this but that doesn't mean ignore problems and liabilities until it loses you a game.

I hate to single out a player like this. But these mistakes are glaring and continue to happen. Fact, #53 really struggles in space and is guilty of trying to do too much out there. The TD to #4 was troubling because that should have been a modest 4-5 yard gain. The good teams are going to find him and test him repeatedly moving forward. Just hoping he can turn it up and around quickly.

Advertisement
Every time there is a thread like this the players being criticized come back and contribute to a win.

I expect him to have a couple of pick sixes and a fumble return now against both Pitt and Clemson.

I have seen this movie before.

Every time there is a thread like this the players being criticized come back and contribute to a win.

I expect him to have a couple of pick sixes and a fumble return now against both Pitt and Clemson.

I have seen this movie before.

We would all welcome that. Trust me!

McCloud isn't good in space, but he is pretty good at blitzing and run support downhill. It is what it is, hopefully he improves.

Advertisement
I agree he didn't play well yesterday, but who would you replace him with? Wilder shows promise, but he's young; Owens is okay, but it's evident that knee injury changed him as a player. I just don't see who we would use instead of him.

Actually, the one name who, in my opinion, we really miss right now is Jamie Gordinier. By all accounts, he was practicing well and ready to take the next step before the injuries derailed his last two seasons. I feel like, if healthy, he could have been the "Trent Harris" of the linebacking core — not incredibly athletic, but a reliable workhorse.

Have to figure the coaches see this and will do what they think is best to win games. Manny isn't going to play the guy based on hype or measurables. He's trying to put the best defense possible out on the field and he wants to dominate.

The 1st touchdown and the punt penalty were potentially game changing mistakes. He’s not Knowles bad, but shouldn’t be a starter. I can’t imagine the backups being worse.

Advertisement
Back