I present the billboard

Advertisement
Amazing how so many Grammar ***** are now coming out of the closet, and they're all SLURPERS. Coincidence?
Take names and correct every time they ***** up to/too/two, there/their/they're and your/you're.

You might want to take vacation day though because you'll be busy. Hold them to their own standards.

Amazing how so many Grammar ***** are now coming out of the closet, and they're all SLURPERS. Coincidence?

I'm no slurper.

From the original, somewhat blurry, pictures, it seemed like the message board was digital, thus easily fixable. If it is a printed billboard, and cannot be easily changed, then so be it. I politely asked 305 Separatist to correct the grammar. I just wanted to help out 305 Separatist before this thing went viral.

I am always available for grammar consultations, for future reference. I support the general message, even if I would have worded things a bit differently. Hats off to 305 Separatist for spending the time and effort to see this through.

I do find it amusing that so many people who did not contribute a dime are so invested in criticizing every aspect of this process, and are calling 305 Separatist every name in the book. In addition to suddenly becoming experts on every form of outdoor advertising.

Keep up the good work, 305, I hope we never need to do this again. If Manny succeeds, great. If Manny fails, replace him.

Either way, we still need to fire Blake James.

And the BOT could use a collective membership *****.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Literally, every single thing that you said is wrong.

Acting (I) - OSCARS - Brando (Actor, won); Caan, Duvall, Pacino (Supporting Actor, all nominated)
Acting (II) - OSCARS - Pacino (Actor, won); DeNiro, Strasberg, Gazzo (Supporting Actor, all nominated, DeNiro won)
Acting (GF) - OSCARS - Pesci (Supporting Actor, won); Bracco (Supporting Actress, nominated)

Next, The Godfather (novel and movies) is absolutely based on real life events, and it took 2 movies because the story was told over multiple generations of the Corleone family, from the early 1900s up through the 1960s. In The Godfather, all of the names have been changed and "fictionalized" because at the time the book was published (1969), the code of Omerta (silence) had only recently been broken in 1963 by Joe Valachi, so there were very few first-hand accounts of mob activity and anyone who wrote about it and used real names would have been subject to reprisal. On the other hand, Henry Hill was such a talkative rat in the 1980s that he would go on the Howard Stern Show, so, sure, it was easier for his accounts to use the real names (though the movie DID change the names of most characters, such as Paul Vario being called Paul Cicero). But don't misunderstand, The Godfather is just as equally based on real people, such as Frank Sinatra being called "Johnny Fontaine".

The Godfather had comic relief, which was appropriate to the time and style of the story.

The Godfather ties together and you aren't left asking questions. The Godfather ends in the 1960s. The book was written in 1969. The first movie came out in 1972. At that point, the Mafia was still incredibly strong. I'm not sure what "questions" you had left to ask.

And, again, don't misunderstand. Godfather III was a money-grab. It is not based on the book, nor was it ever supposed to be contemplated based on either the books or the first two movies. Don't act like its existence undermines the monumental achievements of the book or the first two movies. III never should have happened. The full story IS told in the book and the first 2 movies, that is all. The rise of the Mafia in America, based on Italian immigrants, when they DID have a (relatively) moral code and the change through the 1950s and 1960s culminating in the breaking of Omerta and the more modern (and paranoid) Mafia, which was not as easy for people to embrace.

I and II don't get "hype" because they were "first", they are the best because they are the best. Period, full stop. You can jabber about what was depicted in I and II as "the furthest thing from the truth", but you are clueless. Actual real-life mobsters ALL spoke about I and II with reverence (and you can even see that in The Sopranos) because I and II told the true story of the evolution of the mob over 60 years, and did so in an incredibly truthful and authentic way. While Goodfellas ranks incredibly high in the Mafia movie pantheon, at its core, it is the story of a lower-level ratfvck who was never even a made man. Goodfellas is incredibly well-done, but Henry Hill is a very minor operative in the grand scheme of the Mafia, and his own personal story plays out over about 20 years.

Again...Godfather (book) and the 2 movies - early 1900s to mid-1960s.
Wiseguy (book) and Goodfellas movie - predominantly mid-1960s to 1970s.

Completely different time periods of the Mafia. For YOU to compare Goodfellas to I and II, and then to claim that I and II are inaccurate or idealistic (compared to what YOU think is the "accurate" depiction) is just ridiculous. Different time periods.

Goodfellas is great, it's a Top 5 Mafia movie. But the 2 best Mafia movies are, and will always be, I and II.

As for III, you can forget about it.
God father stands a top in ppls minds because it was the first of its kind in cinematic history. It was groundbreaking. That type of gritty story had NEVER been depicted on the big screen. Before that those type of movies weren’t even allowed. And please don’t get me started on everything wrong with Hollywood awards lol. Just because real life ppl spoke in reverence of the movie doesn’t mean it’s based on actual events. The characters, that lifestyle was glorified in The Godfather. As though those involved had some sort of moral compass about them. That’s the furthest thing from the truth. For the most part they where psychopaths, sociopathic, back stabbing murderer criminals..Thr Godfather did a great job of romanticizing the characters. And I’m sure to a sociopathic criminal they’d loved to be depicted that way.

next, inspiration is not the same as based on real life events. I could write a book about a black Christian activist who went around preaching for civil rights but that doesn’t mean I’m basing the character from MLK but yes I can be inspired by his life. ..The book, It’s not based on real life events. It was inspired by real life ppl. That’s like saying the color purple novel was based on real life events. It wasn’t but the story grew inspiration from similar things that did happen. The Godfather movies were based on the novel that was inspired by real life stories. If u read the the character break down you will see that yes, a lot of the characters developed and created grew inspiration from real life ppl but the way the characters stories are told using are not based upon real life...the movies itself, the characters, the events in the movie were not based on anything that happened in real life but INSPIRED BY EVENTS.

the Goodfellas is a true story. That heist is still to this day biggest cash grab on US soak in history. Some of the Names of those involved had to be switched around but the events are first had accounts of what went down. Billy bats was really killed in a fit of rage by joe pesci character. Rober Di Neros character really did have those involved in the heist killed off to keep the money. Pescis character really was killed in retaliation for a lot of things including the killing of billy bats. That setup for the killing really did happen. And of course Henry Hill was a real person along with his wife, the kids that had to go under government protection. Paul viaro (Cicero in the movies ) was a real made man who was put in prison through Hills testimony.

God Father was the first of its kind and groundbreaking. It grew inspiration from the story of the Italian American mob. A story that had never been told before on the big screen in Hollywood. That alone makes it a great movie and story. But if you think it’s based solely on true events and characters and their actual lives I’m sorry to be the one to tell you a Santa is not real. But if enough critics say a movie in Hollywood is the greatest of all time for its genre then ppl will go on to believe it as true. It’s why a Movie grossly overrated as Citizen Kane to this day is held in such great acclaim lol..but The Godfather 1&2 is a great movie..but head to head Goodfellas is better

No. You're missing the point. There was a "moral code", you were loyal to the "family" even if you were family, that's why Fredo got wacked. Goodfellas is a great movie but it is second, no way a movie about a half breed rat rises above the original.
Lol u seem to have a problem with hill because he ratted which is fine..but you sure do seem to hold this romantic appeal towards the early mob..as tho they weren’t snitch too👀..it happened then too. they just didn’t make a movie about

I’m pretty sure that Judge bAndrew got him. I think he comes back April 11th. I’m happy to fight him again if he wants to start with me again.
Oh yay, the chronic RVA dumbvoter @John77 is back. What’s up Jizz77- you’ve been absent - were you out drinking with the boys again???

9EF3C47C-CFC8-4657-A336-CC4ED778C752.gif

Advertisement
God father stands a top in ppls minds because it was the first of its kind in cinematic history. It was groundbreaking. That type of gritty story had NEVER been depicted on the big screen. Before that those type of movies weren’t even allowed. And please don’t get me started on everything wrong with Hollywood awards lol. Just because real life ppl spoke in reverence of the movie doesn’t mean it’s based on actual events. The characters, that lifestyle was glorified in The Godfather. As though those involved had some sort of moral compass about them. That’s the furthest thing from the truth. For the most part they where psychopaths, sociopathic, back stabbing murderer criminals..Thr Godfather did a great job of romanticizing the characters. And I’m sure to a sociopathic criminal they’d loved to be depicted that way.

next, inspiration is not the same as based on real life events. I could write a book about a black Christian activist who went around preaching for civil rights but that doesn’t mean I’m basing the character from MLK but yes I can be inspired by his life. ..The book, It’s not based on real life events. It was inspired by real life ppl. That’s like saying the color purple novel was based on real life events. It wasn’t but the story grew inspiration from similar things that did happen. The Godfather movies were based on the novel that was inspired by real life stories. If u read the the character break down you will see that yes, a lot of the characters developed and created grew inspiration from real life ppl but the way the characters stories are told using are not based upon real life...the movies itself, the characters, the events in the movie were not based on anything that happened in real life but INSPIRED BY EVENTS.

the Goodfellas is a true story. That heist is still to this day biggest cash grab on US soak in history. Some of the Names of those involved had to be switched around but the events are first had accounts of what went down. Billy bats was really killed in a fit of rage by joe pesci character. Rober Di Neros character really did have those involved in the heist killed off to keep the money. Pescis character really was killed in retaliation for a lot of things including the killing of billy bats. That setup for the killing really did happen. And of course Henry Hill was a real person along with his wife, the kids that had to go under government protection. Paul viaro (Cicero in the movies ) was a real made man who was put in prison through Hills testimony.

God Father was the first of its kind and groundbreaking. It grew inspiration from the story of the Italian American mob. A story that had never been told before on the big screen in Hollywood. That alone makes it a great movie and story. But if you think it’s based solely on true events and characters and their actual lives I’m sorry to be the one to tell you a Santa is not real. But if enough critics say a movie in Hollywood is the greatest of all time for its genre then ppl will go on to believe it as true. It’s why a Movie grossly overrated as Citizen Kane to this day is held in such great acclaim lol..but The Godfather 1&2 is a great movie..but head to head Goodfellas is better

Again, you don't get it. You are analyzing everything from your 2020 perspective, and acting as if one book/movie from a low-level operative is the bible of the Mafia.

Gritty stories about the mob have been depicted in movies for quite some time, you can go back to The Public Enemy (1931) or Scarface (1932) to see shocking (for the times) and gritty (for the times) depictions of mob activity. You would even be happy to see that the mobsters are portrayed as violent and "not romanticized".

As for your misunderstanding of what the depiction of real events means, you are still wrong. The Godfather is not "inspired by" real events, it actually uses multiple actual events. Not just a character. All the characters are based on real people and all of the plot is based on real events. Yes, in 1969, Mario Puzo could not state, from personal experience, that he witnessed all of the events, but his plot involves real events. And, yes, 20 years later, Henry Hill was able to tell his story with more certainty as to people and places because, by that time, the Mafia had become soft about punishing those who broke Omerta.

I'm not sure what you don't get. Dozens and dozens of individuals, since 1969, have verified the correlations between the events in Mario Puzo's book and the real-life events. When you say "the events in the movie were not based on anything that happened in real life" you are wrong. And don't try to split hairs. Godfather I and II are based on the book. Coppola didn't invent any extra plot for the movie that wasn't already in the book.

It's hilarious to watch you try to defend Goodfellas' factual authenticity for certain events THAT HENRY HILL DID NOT EVEN WITNESS. Look, maybe Goodfellas is 100% correct, and maybe it's not, but YOU certainly don't know. Henry Hill was KNOWN for lying, he was KNOWN for exaggerating, so let's not pretend like the killing of Pesci's character is "completely accurate". It's about the same as what Scorsese did in The Irishman. Is that really how Hoffa was killed and disposed? Who knows, but at least The Irishman is based on an account of a person WHO ACTUALLY CLAIMS TO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN THE MURDER. That is absolutely NOT the case with Henry Hill, who was NOT present when Tommy DeSimone was killed.

The bottom line is that Scorsese AS A FILMMAKER invented a number of depicted events in Goodfellas, just as he did in The Irishman. You can try to blame Coppola for the same thing, but he was much more faithful to Mario Puzo's book than Scorsese was to Nicholas Pileggi's book (****, Scorsese even changed the title from Wiseguy to Goodfellas). That's just basic truth.

If you want to "like" Goodfellas more than Godfather I and II, that's your right, but don't claim victory based on falsehoods, such as "Goodfellas is more factually accurate". If you found it more entertaining, that's up to you, but stop falsely claiming that I and II are overrated or based on hype or based on being "first of their kind" or any other garbage 2020 revisionist complaint.

Lol u seem to have a problem with hill because he ratted which is fine..but you sure do seem to hold this romantic appeal towards the early mob..as tho they weren’t snitch too👀..it happened then too. they just didn’t make a movie about
I don't know why this us so hard for you to understand.

It's like the saying, It's a Cane thing...if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

Likewise, you can't call a movie the greatest mafia movie ever, if that movies main character isn't fully Italian and is a rat to boot. If you don't get this, you'll never understand.

Advertisement
I don't know why this us so hard for you to understand.

It's like the saying, It's a Cane thing...if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

Likewise, you can't call a movie the greatest mafia movie ever, if that movies main character isn't fully Italian and is a rat to boot. If you don't get this, you'll never understand.
But..you do realize The Godfather is fictional right?? Lord I hope u do lmao..and what does him being half Italian have to do with it? It’s a actual true story..100% “pure blood” iltalian mobsters we’re snitch too

But..you do realize The Godfather is fictional right?? Lord I hope u do lmao..and what does him being half Italian have to do with it? It’s a actual true story..100% “pure blood” iltalian mobsters we’re snitch too

You do realize Mario Puzo's The Godfather is NOT fictional in its recounting of actual events, right? It was written at a time when Mario Puzo could NOT use the real names, out of fear of reprisal, but those events actually happened, just not to the "Corleone family".

While all that is true, from a cinematic point of view.

The big problem with Goodfellas from a purist point of view is the main character Henry Hill wasn't full Italian, even if it was based on reality. And he was a rat. And rats shouldn't get to go on Howard Stern and have movies made about their life.

The Godfather, even though it was fictional, the story was about true paisanos. And rats got wacked, you never go against the family. La Cosa Nostra.
What in the fugg are you talking about cartels and the mob(mafia) are two different subset of organized crime syndicates.

Advertisement
Back