"I Need Ya' Supervisor!!!"

Advertisement
Advertisement
And, McDowell, also showed “restraint”; he could’ve hurt him, but he didn’t. Even saying at one point, “I’m not going to let you shoot me again”.

The officer showed a lot of unprofessionalism with that “restraint”. He had back up on the way, and he wasn’t a threat in the store. He should’ve just arrested him when he came out the store. That said, if McDowell stays in the car, it never goes there.

That’s part of the problem.
Seems to me the problem was the big guy not doing what he was told.

Advertisement
Man thats one big guy. Pretty sure he was a Dlineman at Michigan State. A good one too. Good job by that officer who was giving up some serious height and weight.

That was just a ****ty situation for all involved. Both sides showed restraint until the situation was escalated and ultimately, it doesn't look good for either party.

It was a simple roadside stop. Those should never get to the point it just did and its a breakdown by all involved, including the current culture (police culture, too) we are in.

Malik McDowell being told he was going to be shot by a white police officer, who at any time, could have justified shooting him with lethal intent...yeah, I am not sure many of you in the same situation wouldn't have tried to fight for your life. I'll agree in part with @Tetragrammaton Cane that one of the main issues is that an officer is the "boss" or has the mentality of one in that situation. How difficult was it to simply have a conversation with the man. It starts as a very confrontational situation and an officer expects people to remain cool and compliant with the constant worry or an officer escalating the situation. If you're Malik McDowell...a 6-foot-6 black man...why wouldn't you walk in the store? You know the store has cameras. Many other cops wouldn't have had their body cam or dash cam on - conveniently - in a situation like that.

idk guys...just a ****ty situation for both guys that likely could have been handled by both, in a different manner.

Roadside stops...should be as simple as...here is your citation, if you have an issue, see you in court. No signature needed. Hand it to the guy and be gone. Would wager that curbs a lot of roadside police issues.

Advertisement
Advertisement
And, McDowell, also showed “restraint”; he could’ve hurt him, but he didn’t. Even saying at one point, “I’m not going to let you shoot me again”.

The officer showed a lot of unprofessionalism with that “restraint”. He had back up on the way, and he wasn’t a threat in the store. He should’ve just arrested him when he came out the store. That said, if McDowell stays in the car, it never goes there.

That’s part of the problem.

You’re nuts.

That cop showed tremendous restraint.

McDowell didn’t show any restraint? What the fūck are you even going on about. He assaulted the cop and was lucky the cop didn’t think he was going for his gun.

Whenever I’ve been stopped by cops, and it happened several times when I was younger, I complied with their commands. That’s how easy it is. Problem solved.

That was just a ****ty situation for all involved. Both sides showed restraint until the situation was escalated and ultimately, it doesn't look good for either party.

It was a simple roadside stop. Those should never get to the point it just did and its a breakdown by all involved, including the current culture (police culture, too) we are in.

Malik McDowell being told he was going to be shot by a white police officer, who at any time, could have justified shooting him with lethal intent...yeah, I am not sure many of you in the same situation wouldn't have tried to fight for your life. I'll agree in part with @Tetragrammaton Cane that one of the main issues is that an officer is the "boss" or has the mentality of one in that situation. How difficult was it to simply have a conversation with the man. It starts as a very confrontational situation and an officer expects people to remain cool and compliant with the constant worry or an officer escalating the situation. If you're Malik McDowell...a 6-foot-6 black man...why wouldn't you walk in the store? You know the store has cameras. Many other cops wouldn't have had their body cam or dash cam on - conveniently - in a situation like that.

idk guys...just a ****ty situation for both guys that likely could have been handled by both, in a different manner.

Roadside stops...should be as simple as...here is your citation, if you have an issue, see you in court. No signature needed. Hand it to the guy and be gone. Would wager that curbs a lot of roadside police issues.

I guess the cop should’ve asked for license and registration fourty times instead of twenty. That probably would’ve worked out better.

Or.......just hand him the **** paper work like every other sane person on the planet.

There was only one person here with the issue. McDowell was being an *** and confrontational from the jump.

guy was formally detained (traffic stop) . . . evolved into an arrest (threatened to use cuffs; active restraint by officer) , , , all rights to walk away or resist in any manner have ended with the exception that you may resist excessive force (death or serious bodily injury) if arrest was unlawful (it wasn't) . . .
any increasing resistance is lawfully met with increasing force until there is no further resistance . . . Period. Like falling off a cliff - that is how it always works . . . "attitude" is irrelevant . . . "smart" is irrelevant . . . "discretion" is irrelevant . . .

Advertisement
Back