I love me some Frank Gore

Frank Gore has played 11 seasons and is 15th all time in rushing with 12,040 yards. 12/14 players in front of him are in the HOF. 2/14 are Edge and LT who will both be in the HOF. 8/14 of the players above played in more seasons than Gore. 4/14 have played the same amount of seasons as Gore. Gore has made 5 pro-bowls and played on some truly awful niners teams. He has 70 Rushing TDs which puts him 30th all time. Today, I think he gets in because he hit 12,000+ rushing yards and due to the NFL's track record at that number.

If Gore plays this season and has 700 rushing yards, that would put him 8th all time. Gore is 206 rushing yards away from being in the top 10.

Advertisement
Frank Gore has played 11 seasons and is 15th all time in rushing with 12,040 yards. 12/14 players in front of him are in the HOF. 2/14 are Edge and LT who will both be in the HOF. 8/14 of the players above played in more seasons than Gore. 4/14 have played the same amount of seasons as Gore. Gore has made 5 pro-bowls and played on some truly awful niners teams. He has 70 Rushing TDs which puts him 30th all time. Today, I think he gets in because he hit 12,000+ rushing yards and due to the NFL's track record at that number.

If Gore plays this season and has 700 rushing yards, that would put him 8th all time. Gore is 206 rushing yards away from being in the top 10.
Gore is the Don Sutton of RBs. He might eventually get in on longevity and consistency. But that shouldn't be the standard for the HOF.

I think a guy like Sean Taylor is far more deserving because he was a transcendent player even though he didn't play very long.

Gore is the Don Sutton of RBs. He might eventually get in on longevity and consistency. But that shouldn't be the standard for the HOF.

I think a guy like Ed Reed is far more deserving because he was a transcendent player

Man, **** noll. Fify

I think a guy like Sean Taylor is far more deserving because he was a transcendent player even though he didn't play very long.

Sean Taylor is to DBs as Gayle Sayers was to RBs. Sayers played less than 60 games (5 seasons in that era), all on bad Bears teams, and was a transcendent player whose career was marred by knee injuries. He was still inducted into the HOF.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Are you serious? Taylor is more deserving? Yikes.

Idk about more deserving but I definitely see Franchise's point. Good word for Sean is transcendent. Coaches were recruiting every big, athletic kid at safety they saw, hoping to find the next Sean. High school kids for years and to this day still say he's their favorite player and they couldn't have been much past elementary school when he last played. He's the reason I fell in love with Miami. Idk if he gets in for obvious reasons but I think he's deserving, would have been a lock if able to play out his career. And yea I think Gore will ultimately get in.

I don't see Frank as a HOF player. He never truly dominated even at his peak. Had a great career though.

As much as I like Gore( and think he'll get consideration) IMO, Edgerrin James had better years during his prime and put up some great numbers himself

James had a pair 1,500+ yard seasons after an injury but Gore was a key player in the 49ers successful run with Harbaugh. He was the best player they had on offense. Colin Kaepernick flashed ability but only had one good full season.

Both players have the same problem. No Super Bowl rings.

Other than Adrian Peterson has any RB in the last decade 'dominated' for most of their career?

Advertisement

Are you serious? Taylor is more deserving? Yikes.

I wouldn't expect someone like you to get it. All a dope sees is stats. A dope doesn't understand the HOF standard and what it should be.

I don't see Frank as a HOF player. He never truly dominated even at his peak. Had a great career though.

As much as I like Gore( and think he'll get consideration) IMO, Edgerrin James had better years during his prime and put up some great numbers himself
EJ was much more impactful.

Agreed, but playing with Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, and Reggie Wayne didn't hurt EJ's career.

Playing with great players doesn't lessen EJ's greatness any more than it would lessen Manning's.

First, I do admit that Frank Gore was never the standard or the best in the league. He was a constant very good back on a bad team.

Second, a strict statistical analysis. Don Sutton was a tremendous compiler and I don't think the analogy to Don Sutton is fair though. Of the players listed on the all time rushing list, 8/14 have played more seasons than Gore. Going on a game by game basis, Frank Gore has played in 164 games. Of the 5 people in front of him, only Edge (148) has played in less games. Thurman Thomas (182), Franco Harris (173), Marcus Allen (222) and Marshall Faulk (176) have played in more games than Gore. The leader of these five (Faulk) has only 205 more rushing yards and played in 12 more games. Gore, last season, still finished 9th in the league in rushing. The guy is still putting up good numbers and is finishing in the top 10 in the league.

Sutton, after 1982 when he had his last season in the top 10 in wins, played 6 more seasons. Those extra 6 seasons were nothing like the previous ones before it, yet he relied on those seasons to make his way into the HOF. He needed those 60+ wins to get him into the 300 win club. I don't think this applies to Gore. Gore already has the 12,000 rushing yards and he did it in less games than 4/5 above him.

Third, I get what you're saying about Taylor but it doesn't really matter here. It isn't either Gore gets in or Taylor.

Advertisement

EJ was much more impactful.

Agreed, but playing with Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, and Reggie Wayne didn't hurt EJ's career.

Playing with great players doesn't lessen EJ's greatness any more than it would lessen Manning's.

True. Emmitt Smith was great, even though his stats may have been less has he not played on a dynasty. He also was a key contributor to that dynasty.

I'm on the fence with Gore and HOF. The Cane fan part of me wants him in, of course. His injuries in college never let us see how great Gore truely was, and what a career he could have had in college and in the NFL.

First, I do admit that Frank Gore was never the standard or the best in the league. He was a constant very good back on a bad team.

Second, a strict statistical analysis. Don Sutton was a tremendous compiler and I don't think the analogy to Don Sutton is fair though. Of the players listed on the all time rushing list, 8/14 have played more seasons than Gore. Going on a game by game basis, Frank Gore has played in 164 games. Of the 5 people in front of him, only Edge (148) has played in less games. Thurman Thomas (182), Franco Harris (173), Marcus Allen (222) and Marshall Faulk (176) have played in more games than Gore. The leader of these five (Faulk) has only 205 more rushing yards and played in 12 more games. Gore, last season, still finished 9th in the league in rushing. The guy is still putting up good numbers and is finishing in the top 10 in the league.

Sutton, after 1982 when he had his last season in the top 10 in wins, played 6 more seasons. Those extra 6 seasons were nothing like the previous ones before it, yet he relied on those seasons to make his way into the HOF. He needed those 60+ wins to get him into the 300 win club. I don't think this applies to Gore. Gore already has the 12,000 rushing yards and he did it in less games than 4/5 above him.

Third, I get what you're saying about Taylor but it doesn't really matter here. It isn't either Gore gets in or Taylor.

Saludo, paesan!

I'm a bit confused when you say of the 5 in front of Gore. What do you mean there because there are 14 in front of him aren't there?

Several of the guys you mentioned in front of Gore (most notably EJ, Faulk and Thurman) were incredible pass catchers. That's why simply looking at rushing totals doesn't do it. A guy like Faulk was absolutely dominant as an offensive weapon and changed the game. Gore might wind up with more rush yards, but there's no comparison between the two from an impact/difference-maker standpoint.

I don't think the HOF should be an endurance benchmark. Sure, durability and reliability are great things. To me, they're just not HOF things.

Dudes should have to dominate and/or be transcendent to get a bronze bust. Plenty of guys haven't been and still got in though, so you might wind up being right. I think I'm probably arguing more toward what I think the HOF should be about.

Saludo, paesan!

I'm a bit confused when you say of the 5 in front of Gore. What do you mean there because there are 14 in front of him aren't there?

Several of the guys you mentioned in front of Gore (most notably EJ, Faulk and Thurman) were incredible pass catchers. That's why simply looking at rushing totals doesn't do it. A guy like Faulk was absolutely dominant as an offensive weapon and changed the game. Gore might wind up with more rush yards, but there's no comparison between the two from an impact/difference-maker standpoint.

I don't think the HOF should be an endurance benchmark. Sure, durability and reliability are great things. To me, they're just not HOF things.

Dudes should have to dominate and/or be transcendent to get a bronze bust. Plenty of guys haven't been and still got in though, so you might wind up being right. I think I'm probably arguing more toward what I think the HOF should be about.

When discussing all-around impact, you have to factor in Gore's blocking. He was the best in the game for most of his career. And he would've caught many more passes if he played with a QB like Jim Kelly or Kurt Warner.

Advertisement
Probably my favorite 'Cane of all time. I loved when he was running between the tackles, instead of hesitating or slowing at the LOS, he picked a hole and blasted through it. And get 5, and get 7, etc. Had plenty of dash.

Had he not gotten injured here, I think he would be in the same breath as Emmitt Smith, Eric ****erson, and Walter Peyton.

That being said, hope he gets his 1000 yard season and retires. For a RB that had two ACL injuries, he had a fairly long career in the NFL.

Saludo, paesan!

Yo dude!

I meant the 5 guys immediately in front of him. I won't claim that Gore had a better career over Edge or Faulk. In fact Faulk was an incredibly amazing offensive threat and did change the game. I was only pointing out that in less games they have pretty much identical rushing careers. Edge did play in less games but the others did not. We all know there is more to be a RB then rushing the ball...

Pass Catching: As for those 3 guys and their pass catching skills, they were better at catching the ball. No doubt about it.

Blocking: The other thing about Gore, which doesn't show up on the stat sheets, is his blocking abilities. Now this is something that makes Gore stand out or makes him unique. Again this won't show up on a stat sheet but it is something that makes Gore stand out.

In the end, I just don't think that Gore is a compiler like Sutton. He still is putting up top 10 numbers and hit those milestones while putting up top 10 numbers. The HOF needs to have a cut off and there needs to be barriers to entry. I just don't think Gore is the guy where I would make the cut.

Last edited:

Saludo, paesan!

Hey everyone, we are not going by the NFL HOF standards we are going by Franchise's HOF standard. Okay, now your argument finally makes sense.

Also, you know your argument is bad when you have to resort to ad hominem attacks.

Gore needs 1 more year as Consigliere alluded to. 1 year of 700 yds rushing makes him a lock. I also think Edge makes it in sooner than later. He was a semi finalist last year. I would think for the 2017 induction he'll be there.

How amazing is our run on the pro football hall of fame about to be. USC is the leader at 13 players in. We have 6.
We also have Ray, Ed, Reggie, Edge all shoo ins. Then you have Andre, Vince, Frank all very likely. Then a guy like Devin Hester who probably should make it. He was the best all time up to this point at what he did. That's 8 guys. ******* crazy.

Advertisement
Back