I know that I will get killed for writing this today but

Advertisement
But the sky is not falling and the Miami football program as a whole is in pretty good shape. Lets break this down into two parts. This years recruiting (and future years) and next years schedule and roster. (sorry for the length of the post but I'm so tired of reading that the sky is falling because it's not!)

Recruiting:

There is no way to spin this...We have taken our lumps in this years recruiting class and it's because our Coaching staff and team did not perform well against a really average schedule. Our verbal commits noticed that and were quick to abandon ship. However, we still have 14 commits and while the majority of them are defensive commits, the staff is out trying to recover from the defections that have happened. I absolutely love how some of you are so quick to question why the staff did not have a back up plan in place for all these de-commitments. It's not that easy. These targets they had were all hurricanes (and were saying all the right things) until the last couple of months. If we go out and offer kids while we have other kids (who were still verbally committed to us) that were still in play it will have negative factors in both scholarship limits and it pretty much tells those verbal commitments that we don't think your coming. Did that happen? Yes but the staff is out trying to recover from those defections. ESD is nice but it's not the tell all of recruiting and I firmly believe (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one) that the staff will salvage this class. Richt and his staff are experienced and are working their butts off trying to make up for what has happened. Unless we sign everyone that we think we will, we won't get in the top 15 but we can finish in the top 25 which isn't bad considering a 7-5 record and how stupid we looked on offense the whole year.

So we finish in the top 25 and with our last two classes (12th nationally in 2017 and 8th nationally in 2018) we will still be able to put one **** of a product on the field in 2019. And Surge 2020 recruiting class is still intact and with a schedule that sets up nicely for us in 2019, Richt and his staff could close that class out in the top 10 which will be big in helping us to recover in key skill positions going forward.

So why will we be "better" in 2019? There are several reasons but I will stick to the top ones

1. Our offense will be better because we will have a "true" QB and not a running back acting like a QB. No matter if it's Perry or Williams, they will be an upgrade because they both "look" like QB's. We saw at the end of the year that Perry (while not great) made enough plays with his legs and arms to win games. The critical thing is that he did not turn over the ball. If we don't turn the ball over teams that we play in the ACC don't have a great shot to beat us. Look at the games in which we lost and turnovers were a major reason why. ****, Perry can go 6-20 and not turn the ball over and we still beat Pitt by 20 points.

2. Lingard, Davis and Dallas are the real deal. All we need is the threat of a passer to be our QB and it allows these running backs to be more effective. We had success running the ball against teams at the end of the year and some of it was because spread defenses out. But I also surmise that the offense was better because teams had to respect Perry's arm. He may not always make the right read (and has cold streaks that last for way too long) but he has legitimate arm strength and is pretty accurate. Defenses have to account for that.

3. I like the idea of a OL with a nasty edge. While I thought the line improved in the last two games I truly expect that a OL line made up of Scaife, Donaldson, Gaynor, Reed has a ton of potential going into next year and attitude to boot. We need to see who our LT is but it's not like Darling was great. He was average with some of you calling him a turnstile. Let's see who we get but I'm confident in that front four being able to handle the DL's of any ACC coastal team.

4. Jordan, Mallory are true impact TE who gained a ton of experience this year and will have a full off season to really bulk up/condition. With Irvins and Polendy back (and at least 1 TE we should get in recruiting) we will have depth for next year. The possibility of putting both those guys out at the same time is a nightmare for D coordinators to have to deal with. Combine that with a receiving core that also will have an offseason to bulk up/condition and the possibility is there for a dynamic offense.

5. Last but not least, the defense led by Manny Diaz is going to make life a living **** on ACC teams. Miami's D even if it takes a slight step back will still be able to handle the the offenses that UNC, Pitt, Duke, GT, etc. throw at it. Again, the offense just needs to not turn over the ball and no team that we face next year will be favored to beat us.

Richt needs to hire an O.C. Will he do it is the question. However, even if he doesn't a record of 9-1 or even 10-0 in the regular season is very realistic. UNC, Louisville and GT all have new coaching staffs and will need to rebuild/retool. Pitt can't throw the ball period. Duke loses Jones and a ton of Sr on their defense. Virginia loses 3/4 of their experience secondary and can't throw the ball either. Our only real challenges next year are Florida and Fla St. and if that's the case, I have to give us the edge even if we are running "30 year old plays" from a 6 play playbook.

Do me a favor, if you do down vote me please tell me what you don't agree with. I'm truly interested in where I'm off base with what I wrote.

GO CANES!!!!
Now I know who the BeeKeeper is :)

Advertisement
Funny thing is a good performance in this bowl game and a win against Wisconsin will change a lot of attitudes..

Miami went 7-5 with a stupidly easy schedule. Next year the schedule lays out with all the hard games on the road. You can't mention what other teams will lose without addressing what Miami loses. Seems like you're glossing over a lot to say things will be better next year. The team is going backwards and bad recruiting classes wont help. Newton's first law, things will keep going in the same direction without an external force to change it. If Richt doesn't make changes I expect things to keep going bad.

Agree to disagree. The worst games are on the road? Let's see. Florida is a neutral site in Orlando Fl. The away games are Duke without Jones and Rehming, Florida State, UNC and Pitt? Really those are our hard away games? We have GT, Louisville, VA and VT at home. I actually think that the schedule is a joke all around. We should run circles around these programs and would if we had a real O.C. but since we don't we probably win each game by 20 like we did at V.T. and Pitt this year.

I'm not holding my breath for an OC because I just don't see Richt giving it up. Searles absolutely has to be shown the door though. I just hope Richt saw the success we started having the last few games when he was forced to spread out the offense and expands on that in the bowl game then more so into next season. Like OP said with the stable of rbs we have next year there really shouldn't be a reason we don't average 40 points a game.

You've seen it in his Miami tenure. Tried to run the RPO with Kaaya which everyone knows was a mistake, then switched to his strengths late in 2016 and the offense picked up. Centered the offense around Malik's strength last year and we won 10 games. Yeah, the defense created opportunities, but our best success, on offense, was with Malik being an effective runner as another player the defense had to account for. Once teams began to spy him and press our receivers, Malik had nothing else as a QB and we struggled.

This year was an unmitigated disaster in how he managed the QB play. No excuses. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And only he knows how and why he managed the position, and by extension, the entire offense, so poorly. I expect he'll gear the offense to play off of Perry's strengths next season and if Perry flops, then we'll see Jarren. In either case, I expect the offense will be better.
I don’t think they did nearly enough fkr malik last year. They could’ve helped the guy out w motions and all the other stuff that’s been said 10000 times. By the end of the year D knew what was coming pre snap, and that carried into this year

Advertisement
I don’t think they did nearly enough fkr malik last year. They could’ve helped the guy out w motions and all the other stuff that’s been said 10000 times. By the end of the year D knew what was coming pre snap, and that carried into this year

A completely fair assessment. And you're right, more could have been done, but how much more when you have a QB that throws bubble screens 2 yards behind receivers or jump balls 3 yards out of bounds? Malik was a bad QB. He gave everything he had for this program, but at the end of the day, was a bad QB.

Marginal improvements at QB and OL next year coupled with receivers who don't drop easy passes will make this entire offense look much better and then we won't be here lambasting it for an entire offseason. It won't be The Greatest Show on Turf, but it doesn't have to be with Manny's defense. Now, if we get substantial improvement at QB, then we're talking about being a contender. No more excuses next year for Richt, he's got a talented guy in Perry and his guy in Williams. Make it work with one of them.

Agree to disagree. The worst games are on the road? Let's see. Florida is a neutral site in Orlando Fl. The away games are Duke without Jones and Rehming, Florida State, UNC and Pitt? Really those are our hard away games? We have GT, Louisville, VA and VT at home. I actually think that the schedule is a joke all around. We should run circles around these programs and would if we had a real O.C. but since we don't we probably win each game by 20 like we did at V.T. and Pitt this year.
Good points.
Seems that with FSU, VT, N.C, and GT with a new Coach (and who knows what kind of play they will entertain this coming year) these teams are as unsettled as our Canes. Let us be realistic.
With changes, we will be in a **** of a better shape than these 4, and Duke, Va and Pitt will be nothing to write home about
This opens the door to win the ACC coastal again...Serious changes, will bring serious wins, and the season can be used as part of the rebuild again to keep our 4 and 5 stars home at the U.

But the sky is not falling and the Miami football program as a whole is in pretty good shape. Lets break this down into two parts. This years recruiting (and future years) and next years schedule and roster. (sorry for the length of the post but I'm so tired of reading that the sky is falling because it's not!)

Recruiting:

There is no way to spin this...We have taken our lumps in this years recruiting class and it's because our Coaching staff and team did not perform well against a really average schedule. Our verbal commits noticed that and were quick to abandon ship. However, we still have 14 commits and while the majority of them are defensive commits, the staff is out trying to recover from the defections that have happened. I absolutely love how some of you are so quick to question why the staff did not have a back up plan in place for all these de-commitments. It's not that easy. These targets they had were all hurricanes (and were saying all the right things) until the last couple of months. If we go out and offer kids while we have other kids (who were still verbally committed to us) that were still in play it will have negative factors in both scholarship limits and it pretty much tells those verbal commitments that we don't think your coming. Did that happen? Yes but the staff is out trying to recover from those defections. ESD is nice but it's not the tell all of recruiting and I firmly believe (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one) that the staff will salvage this class. Richt and his staff are experienced and are working their butts off trying to make up for what has happened. Unless we sign everyone that we think we will, we won't get in the top 15 but we can finish in the top 25 which isn't bad considering a 7-5 record and how stupid we looked on offense the whole year.

So we finish in the top 25 and with our last two classes (12th nationally in 2017 and 8th nationally in 2018) we will still be able to put one **** of a product on the field in 2019. And Surge 2020 recruiting class is still intact and with a schedule that sets up nicely for us in 2019, Richt and his staff could close that class out in the top 10 which will be big in helping us to recover in key skill positions going forward.

So why will we be "better" in 2019? There are several reasons but I will stick to the top ones

1. Our offense will be better because we will have a "true" QB and not a running back acting like a QB. No matter if it's Perry or Williams, they will be an upgrade because they both "look" like QB's. We saw at the end of the year that Perry (while not great) made enough plays with his legs and arms to win games. The critical thing is that he did not turn over the ball. If we don't turn the ball over teams that we play in the ACC don't have a great shot to beat us. Look at the games in which we lost and turnovers were a major reason why. ****, Perry can go 6-20 and not turn the ball over and we still beat Pitt by 20 points.

2. Lingard, Davis and Dallas are the real deal. All we need is the threat of a passer to be our QB and it allows these running backs to be more effective. We had success running the ball against teams at the end of the year and some of it was because spread defenses out. But I also surmise that the offense was better because teams had to respect Perry's arm. He may not always make the right read (and has cold streaks that last for way too long) but he has legitimate arm strength and is pretty accurate. Defenses have to account for that.

3. I like the idea of a OL with a nasty edge. While I thought the line improved in the last two games I truly expect that a OL line made up of Scaife, Donaldson, Gaynor, Reed has a ton of potential going into next year and attitude to boot. We need to see who our LT is but it's not like Darling was great. He was average with some of you calling him a turnstile. Let's see who we get but I'm confident in that front four being able to handle the DL's of any ACC coastal team.

4. Jordan, Mallory are true impact TE who gained a ton of experience this year and will have a full off season to really bulk up/condition. With Irvins and Polendy back (and at least 1 TE we should get in recruiting) we will have depth for next year. The possibility of putting both those guys out at the same time is a nightmare for D coordinators to have to deal with. Combine that with a receiving core that also will have an offseason to bulk up/condition and the possibility is there for a dynamic offense.

5. Last but not least, the defense led by Manny Diaz is going to make life a living **** on ACC teams. Miami's D even if it takes a slight step back will still be able to handle the the offenses that UNC, Pitt, Duke, GT, etc. throw at it. Again, the offense just needs to not turn over the ball and no team that we face next year will be favored to beat us.

Richt needs to hire an O.C. Will he do it is the question. However, even if he doesn't a record of 9-1 or even 10-0 in the regular season is very realistic. UNC, Louisville and GT all have new coaching staffs and will need to rebuild/retool. Pitt can't throw the ball period. Duke loses Jones and a ton of Sr on their defense. Virginia loses 3/4 of their experience secondary and can't throw the ball either. Our only real challenges next year are Florida and Fla St. and if that's the case, I have to give us the edge even if we are running "30 year old plays" from a 6 play playbook.

Do me a favor, if you do down vote me please tell me what you don't agree with. I'm truly interested in where I'm off base with what I wrote.

GO CANES!!!!

Advertisement
I posted a similar thought after LSU, and I believed it.

Then UVa happened and I knew I'd been duped. Then we tanked 3 more games in a gutless, character -less manner. And some are hyping the win vs Pitt as some sort of " turn around".

PITT? At home , in a meaningless game for them? With Clemson the next week? Are you kidding me?

We get stomped by Wisconsin, sign a bunch of North Eastern JAGS, and finish with a class ranking of #25-35.

I love the optimism, I really do, but we ARE in bad bad shape. Not if we are comparing ourselves to Indiana, NC State, San Jose State, Cincinnati, etc but yes if we are comparing to elite programs.

I think we've seen, for a while, our best days.

Wake me up in 2022.

The QB flip flopping
The complete lack of a 2minute offense and any clock awareness
The JT4 situation
Hiring your grossly under qualified son
OL underperforming based on talent
ST stinking for almost the whole year

Recruiting:
Completely ******** up OL recruiting
Ignoring DJ Williams until the very last minute
QB recruiting, 1000% dumpster fire for this cycle

All signs that Richt is not remotely close to leading this team to the playoffs

Everyone but LSU, FSU and BC we should won by 14+

Yes, it’s hard to get much worse for next year, but if Richt didn’t have a giant buyout not a single person on this board would be pushing to keep Richt and this current staff intact for 2019

Let's see how you feel after signing day. Richt needs to increase the talent. Howell & Neal are big needs for competition and roster growth. If
Richt recruits well and plugs a lot of holes I suppose many of your ilk will be more optimistic, but if we continue to trend negatively I'm sure you'll be more entrenched..

Recruiting:

GO CANES!!!!

Appreciate the optimism. Have to agree on Darling. He really disappeared this season. Mainly because he wasn’t on the team. Unless darling is your nickname for St. Louis? Which if that’s the case, is pretty weird.

Advertisement
Strong close with Croots in December
Bowl win with signs of life on offense and us playing with swag
Weight room
Strong close with Croots in February
Firey spring practice, off-season and fall camp.
Win Coastal with O and ST doing their parts.
If these 🙄 things happen, Rickets gets another year. If not, fire him. Next step if he's still here has to be an ACC title then playoffs. This is the muffer fluckin University of Miami. It can be done again here.
Note that ideally, we need an OC with big balls and some free reign like Manny has on D, but it doesn't look like Flake and Morcus are going this route.
I'll hang up now

It seems if we get a 4 or 5 star commit, you can bet he’ll be a Gaturd eventually, We’ve never been able to compete with UF or, (even in most years), FSU. Florida kids want to go to state schools, and now, I doubt we can compete with UCF, either. Somehow, we always come off as an outsider or a mediocre midmajor to these local kids. Only when we were the best team in the country did they consider us, and we are far, far away from those days now. I can see offering some of these S. Florida kids, but I’d try to find good players at other areas to back up any offer to some diva who clearly views us as a safety school.

imo if it's not at home, it's on the road so floriduh is a road game. GT will probably get a whole new offense so I don't expect much out of them. Louisville is terrible and getting a new coach, not much there either. VA shouldn't be a problem.. but they might so that's a toss up. VT is not good right now, maybe the injuries have held them back the last two years but they seem to be in decline. Compared to the home games, the gauntlet (lol) of Duke, FSU, UNC, and Pitt should be the harder games. We definitely agree that we need a new OC. Do you agree that we need a new OL coach?

The mental gymnastics that the human mind is capable of in rough times is truly amazing. Truly.

As I always say, OP (like all of the other shills) will be proven wrong, he will delete his account (or go inactive) at some point next year, and then sign up under a different name.

I am, however, book-marking this thread as we speak so I can bump it next year when OP inevitably ghosts.

Advertisement
Back