I know that I will get killed for writing this today but

I stopped reading at "backup plan". This staff doesn't even have a good enough plan to score 20 points a game. To **** with any other kind of plans. Nothing they plan works, but let's just have blind faith that one day they will.

Advertisement
Miami went 7-5 with a stupidly easy schedule. Next year the schedule lays out with all the hard games on the road. You can't mention what other teams will lose without addressing what Miami loses. Seems like you're glossing over a lot to say things will be better next year. The team is going backwards and bad recruiting classes wont help. Newton's first law, things will keep going in the same direction without an external force to change it. If Richt doesn't make changes I expect things to keep going bad.

Richt lost 3 or more games 9 times in his last 10 seasons. At uga those losses came despite having elite talent. Richts history of winning games really occurred in a different era. 2012 he did well, to be sure.

Look at who he loses to and get back to me.

Lost one game on the flukiest Hail Mary I've ever seen. Lost to Alabama in the SEC title game because his QB had a brain cramp. If you want to look at his tenure with myopic lens in order to fit your narrative around it, such is your prerogative. Like I said, sure, he had bad losses. You know who else has bad losses with superior talent on their record, literally every other coach in football including Nick Saban, unless you think any of the losses Alabama's had in the past decade has been due to the other team having better talent.

I have acknowledged Richt has improvements to make. You don't make it 15 years in the SEC and all the years at FSU before that without knowing how to evolve. He's done it and I have faith he'll do it again. If he doesn't, then he won't be here for long and I won't have to worry about it for much longer.

Never said they were but the future is not as bad as some are making it out to be. Everything you said is true but not one thing on your list can't be corrected. The team winning the last two games vs VT and Pitt shows that they haven't quit on this coaching staff. We need real changes in the coaching staff to take us to the next level
The problem with your argument is that it all hinges on a coaching change,which isn’t happening.

[QUOTE
You forgot one huge issue... special teams. Something needs to be done.[/QUOTE]

This ONLY Special Teams issue was punting and we have a commit. Everyone on this board thinks Hartley is not good but the man is ST Stud. He runs complicated schemes that most do not notice. Punt return guys were at one point Top 3 this season! Fumble at GT hurt but we had more returned for TDs and huge gains so we very well may have made it back up there. Let's give our new Aussie a chance and let Hartley continue to put the best dudes on the field for us.

Focus on the offensives issues we CLEARLY have.... Go Canes

Advertisement
Oh man another Richt slurper.. this team is not getting better and thereal effects will be seen in 2020 and beyond by the disaster of this recruiting class. Depth will be a joke

Read what I said before you go around calling people a slurper, hater. You can't refute what I'm saying in my original post so you go to the only two plays you have (like Richt does with his playbook)....Calling me a slurper and citing that depth is a joke. Just goes to show that hate leads to ignorance and your a classic example of that.

Lost one game on the flukiest Hail Mary I've ever seen. Lost to Alabama in the SEC title game because his QB had a brain cramp. If you want to look at his tenure with myopic lens in order to fit your narrative around it, such is your prerogative. Like I said, sure, he had bad losses. You know who else has bad losses with superior talent on their record, literally every other coach in football including Nick Saban, unless you think any of the losses Alabama's had in the past decade has been due to the other team having better talent.

I have acknowledged Richt has improvements to make. You don't make it 15 years in the SEC and all the years at FSU before that without knowing how to evolve. He's done it and I have faith he'll do it again. If he doesn't, then he won't be here for long and I won't have to worry about it for much longer.

I acknowledged 2012 was a good year. But relative to his talent, his teams did not perform up to par. Same situation now.

Richts teams won on the strength of their D. His offenses have been under achieving for a decade. So.. I’m not sure how he’s evolved? He absolutely has not. It’s a Shame too because with the talent he’s had, he shouid be a lot more accomplished.

[QUOTE
You forgot one huge issue... special teams. Something needs to be done.

This ONLY Special Teams issue was punting and we have a commit. Everyone on this board thinks Hartley is not good but the man is ST Stud. He runs complicated schemes that most do not notice. Punt return guys were at one point Top 3 this season! Fumble at GT hurt but we had more returned for TDs and huge gains so we very well may have made it back up there. Let's give our new Aussie a chance and let Hartley continue to put the best dudes on the field for us.

Focus on the offensives issues we CLEARLY have.... Go Canes[/QUOTE]
Coverage teams weren’t good.

First off good post, this program is in great shape with coach richt at the helm. This roster will be more talented from top to bottom and we get the players that want to be here. A player like neal knows and see's the opportunity here as well as the other players who believe in their talent. You lost me when you started talking class rankings, means nothing, all that matters is if we get productive players on the field at the same time. And also star rankings are trash, either a guy can play or he cant. If any player sets foot on campus and somehow thinks his star ranking means something, he dont belong here, those are the guys who become the future crybabies. Did anyone hear of edge, james jackson, portis, gore or mcgahee crying, nope, they enjoyed the competition and knew they were good enuff and forced each other to get better. And all ended of being great here.

Lastly, the "coach richt needs to hire an oc" mantra needs to stop, the plays he calls worl with better qb preparation & play and better widereceiver execution. If he was running a garbage offense, i'd be one of the main ones saying its garbage. But nope, the offensive players have been playing like garbage and half azzing and pouting. Next year is put up or shut up time, the pouter's will be in the back of the line!

I agree with most of your post especially regarding recruiting rankings but I included those national class rankings for the people who are complaining about our recruiting this year and calling Richt a horrible recruiter. One year does not constitute a coach sucking at recruiting and he and his staff are not even done yet for 2019.

However, I do disagree with you on the O.C. thing. I say this for two reasons. Number one, I have never been a fan of a head coach being the OC also. It can work but it also can lead to in game mistakes because your trying to call plays and manage the game at the same time. The 2nd reason is that he has not shown that he is learning from his past mistakes. He continues to try and fit a round peg in a square hole. First down, it's a zone read/dive., 2nd down it's a screen or read/dive, third down it's all verticals except for a RB in the flat and a curl in by a receiver. 4th down is give it to the full back on a dive 90% of the year. Our O-line was below average and proved that time and again. If that's the case, help them by playing to their strengths and not their weaknesses. It got so bad that our fans were calling out our plays and were right 90% of the time. And one of the most infuriating things he would do is find something that works (running the ball or passing the ball) and use that method of play until he got past the 50 yard line then he would go away from the thing that worked.

It's mind boggling why he did the things he did this year and I think some of it is because he has too much on his plate. Hire an O.C. and manage the program.

Advertisement

Focus on the offensives issues we CLEARLY have.... Go Canes
Coverage teams weren’t good.[/QUOTE]

And Baxa got better as the year went on. Only missed 3 FG early in the year and was doing a nice job in the kick off game as well. Kid is only going to get better.

2017- We went 10-1 in the regular season because we won the turnover margin in most every game and we did not kill ourselves in the punting game.

2018- We went 7-5 with all 5 losses having multiple turnovers being committed by us. We also were terrible at flipping field position with our punting game.

Bigger than that is the quarterback play. We all know that Rosier was not a great qb last year, but he won 10 games. No one last year would have thought he could be this bad. You have to admit that the coaching staff did a good job masking his deficiencies, but they could only do that for so long. At some point someone would figure it out and they did. We had our hopes that Perry would step up. So far he hasn't. He's admitted that he was not studying film earlier in the year. Let's hope he matures.

But the sky is not falling and the Miami football program as a whole is in pretty good shape. Lets break this down into two parts. This years recruiting (and future years) and next years schedule and roster. (sorry for the length of the post but I'm so tired of reading that the sky is falling because it's not!)

Recruiting:

There is no way to spin this...We have taken our lumps in this years recruiting class and it's because our Coaching staff and team did not perform well against a really average schedule. Our verbal commits noticed that and were quick to abandon ship. However, we still have 14 commits and while the majority of them are defensive commits, the staff is out trying to recover from the defections that have happened. I absolutely love how some of you are so quick to question why the staff did not have a back up plan in place for all these de-commitments. It's not that easy. These targets they had were all hurricanes (and were saying all the right things) until the last couple of months. If we go out and offer kids while we have other kids (who were still verbally committed to us) that were still in play it will have negative factors in both scholarship limits and it pretty much tells those verbal commitments that we don't think your coming. Did that happen? Yes but the staff is out trying to recover from those defections. ESD is nice but it's not the tell all of recruiting and I firmly believe (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one) that the staff will salvage this class. Richt and his staff are experienced and are working their butts off trying to make up for what has happened. Unless we sign everyone that we think we will, we won't get in the top 15 but we can finish in the top 25 which isn't bad considering a 7-5 record and how stupid we looked on offense the whole year.

So we finish in the top 25 and with our last two classes (12th nationally in 2017 and 8th nationally in 2018) we will still be able to put one **** of a product on the field in 2019. And Surge 2020 recruiting class is still intact and with a schedule that sets up nicely for us in 2019, Richt and his staff could close that class out in the top 10 which will be big in helping us to recover in key skill positions going forward.

So why will we be "better" in 2019? There are several reasons but I will stick to the top ones

1. Our offense will be better because we will have a "true" QB and not a running back acting like a QB. No matter if it's Perry or Williams, they will be an upgrade because they both "look" like QB's. We saw at the end of the year that Perry (while not great) made enough plays with his legs and arms to win games. The critical thing is that he did not turn over the ball. If we don't turn the ball over teams that we play in the ACC don't have a great shot to beat us. Look at the games in which we lost and turnovers were a major reason why. ****, Perry can go 6-20 and not turn the ball over and we still beat Pitt by 20 points.

2. Lingard, Davis and Dallas are the real deal. All we need is the threat of a passer to be our QB and it allows these running backs to be more effective. We had success running the ball against teams at the end of the year and some of it was because spread defenses out. But I also surmise that the offense was better because teams had to respect Perry's arm. He may not always make the right read (and has cold streaks that last for way too long) but he has legitimate arm strength and is pretty accurate. Defenses have to account for that.

3. I like the idea of a OL with a nasty edge. While I thought the line improved in the last two games I truly expect that a OL line made up of Scaife, Donaldson, Gaynor, Reed has a ton of potential going into next year and attitude to boot. We need to see who our LT is but it's not like Darling was great. He was average with some of you calling him a turnstile. Let's see who we get but I'm confident in that front four being able to handle the DL's of any ACC coastal team.

4. Jordan, Mallory are true impact TE who gained a ton of experience this year and will have a full off season to really bulk up/condition. With Irvins and Polendy back (and at least 1 TE we should get in recruiting) we will have depth for next year. The possibility of putting both those guys out at the same time is a nightmare for D coordinators to have to deal with. Combine that with a receiving core that also will have an offseason to bulk up/condition and the possibility is there for a dynamic offense.

5. Last but not least, the defense led by Manny Diaz is going to make life a living **** on ACC teams. Miami's D even if it takes a slight step back will still be able to handle the the offenses that UNC, Pitt, Duke, GT, etc. throw at it. Again, the offense just needs to not turn over the ball and no team that we face next year will be favored to beat us.

Richt needs to hire an O.C. Will he do it is the question. However, even if he doesn't a record of 9-1 or even 10-0 in the regular season is very realistic. UNC, Louisville and GT all have new coaching staffs and will need to rebuild/retool. Pitt can't throw the ball period. Duke loses Jones and a ton of Sr on their defense. Virginia loses 3/4 of their experience secondary and can't throw the ball either. Our only real challenges next year are Florida and Fla St. and if that's the case, I have to give us the edge even if we are running "30 year old plays" from a 6 play playbook.

Do me a favor, if you do down vote me please tell me what you don't agree with. I'm truly interested in where I'm off base with what I wrote.

GO CANES!!!!

So good to hear that not everyone's hair is on fire.

The doom and gloom rooting for our opponents gang has been out of control and practically wants anyone who disagrees with them muzzled.

While we're ALL disappointed with the season, not everyone wants to overreact. Almost every thread now is a fire CMR thread.

Some of us are still grounded in reality and think that while changes and improvements do need to be made, this program is far from dead.

GO CANES!!

Bigger than that is the quarterback play. We all know that Rosier was not a great qb last year, but he won 10 games. No one last year would have thought he could be this bad. You have to admit that the coaching staff did a good job masking his deficiencies, but they could only do that for so long. At some point someone would figure it out and they did. We had our hopes that Perry would step up. So far he hasn't. He's admitted that he was not studying film earlier in the year. Let's hope he matures.

I don't disagree except for Perry. I think he stepped up his level of play. In G.T. he played well enough to win. At V.T. he did just fine. Against Pitt, he really did not have his A game but I think he impressed me the most in this game because he ran the ball when he needed to and he got first downs that were critical by throwing/running whatever he needed to do.

He still has a ways to go and J. Williams could beat him out but I would be fine with him leading our offense next year if he plays like he did at V.T. and against Pitt. Generate first downs and DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER.

Advertisement
1. Our offense will be better because we will have a "true" QB and not a running back acting like a QB. No matter if it's Perry or Williams, they will be an upgrade because they both "look" like QB's. We saw at the end of the year that Perry (while not great) made enough plays with his legs and arms to win games. The critical thing is that he did not turn over the ball. If we don't turn the ball over teams that we play in the ACC don't have a great shot to beat us. Look at the games in which we lost and turnovers were a major reason why. ****, Perry can go 6-20 and not turn the ball over and we still beat Pitt by 20 points.

Richt needs to hire an O.C. Will he do it is the question. However, even if he doesn't a record of 9-1 or even 10-0 in the regular season is very realistic.

Not going to down vote because I rarely do it. However, if you think that we are going 10-0 without a complete offensive overhaul and a legitimate OC then I can't help you. The schedule this year was an absolute joke. I don't see it being easier next year. Look at Richt's yards per play when he called plays at Georgia and after. There is a reason they made him hire an OC at Georgia and there is a reason that we are demanding one now. He's not good enough to call plays and it's that simple. There needs to be major changes on the staff (OC, ST coach, and OL coach) or you are looking at another season like this year. In addition, they need to hire a bunch of offensive analysts and metric guys to help carve out more edges in the game plans. To put it nicely, this staff is weak on the offensive side of the ball and it's understaffed. Staff positions are filled with too many guys that aren't Xs and Os guys. That needs to be addressed and changed immediately.

The talent is in place for a successful 2019 season if the players don't mutiny.

QB - open competition between Perry and Williams will add excitement
RB - heated competition for carries among Homer, Dallas, Davis, Lingard
WR - unit will be much better prepared to absorb the loss of Richards, Thomas
TE - Jordan and Mallory were both coming on strong before injury
OL - stashed away Gaynor, Reed, Campbell, Hillery, Herbert in 2017
DL - Much depends on J. Jackson but reason to be excited with Garvin, Silvera, Rousseau, Ford
LB - most experienced unit on the team
DB - Bandy, Carter, Smith, Ivey, Blades, Hall, Frierson is a good, young nucleus
K/P - nowhere to go but up

Last edited:
The OP provides a well written "glass half full" perspective that does have a lot of valid points.

I think his biggest reach (even moreso than having faith in our QB situation) is his extreme optimistic outlook on the o-line situation. It seems more based on the potential we saw in Donaldson, etc. during their recruitment than anything we actually saw last year against the beyond horrible defenses of the ACC.

****ty o-line play would be an even bigger detriment to this team than ****ty playcalling as it absolutely stunts the development of Perry/Williams/Weldon more than Rick's playbook from 1992.

Advertisement
3 four game losing streaks in 3 years.
Cancers in the locker room.
Quarterback controversy
Lazy recruiting. (3rd year in a row we miss out on several layups) with only 2 offensive players in the class.
Very predictable offensive game planning
Poor player development at quarterback, offensive line, and receiver.
Questionable recruiting decisions at linebacker, defensive tackle, and safety.

Things are not fine.
there are going to be some real surprised people who think the D will be just as good next year ... NEWSFLASH it won't !

I acknowledged 2012 was a good year. But relative to his talent, his teams did not perform up to par. Same situation now.

Richts teams won on the strength of their D. His offenses have been under achieving for a decade. So.. I’m not sure how he’s evolved? He absolutely has not. It’s a Shame too because with the talent he’s had, he shouid be a lot more accomplished.

You've seen it in his Miami tenure. Tried to run the RPO with Kaaya which everyone knows was a mistake, then switched to his strengths late in 2016 and the offense picked up. Centered the offense around Malik's strength last year and we won 10 games. Yeah, the defense created opportunities, but our best success, on offense, was with Malik being an effective runner as another player the defense had to account for. Once teams began to spy him and press our receivers, Malik had nothing else as a QB and we struggled.

This year was an unmitigated disaster in how he managed the QB play. No excuses. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And only he knows how and why he managed the position, and by extension, the entire offense, so poorly. I expect he'll gear the offense to play off of Perry's strengths next season and if Perry flops, then we'll see Jarren. In either case, I expect the offense will be better.

Miami went 7-5 with a stupidly easy schedule. Next year the schedule lays out with all the hard games on the road. You can't mention what other teams will lose without addressing what Miami loses. Seems like you're glossing over a lot to say things will be better next year. The team is going backwards and bad recruiting classes wont help. Newton's first law, things will keep going in the same direction without an external force to change it. If Richt doesn't make changes I expect things to keep going bad.

Agree to disagree. The worst games are on the road? Let's see. Florida is a n
Not going to down vote because I rarely do it. However, if you think that we are going 10-0 without a complete offensive overhaul and a legitimate OC then I can't help you. The schedule this year was an absolute joke. I don't see it being easier next year. Look at Richt's yards per play when he called plays at Georgia and after. There is a reason they made him hire an OC at Georgia and there is a reason that we are demanding one now. He's not good enough to call plays and it's that simple. There needs to be major changes on the staff (OC, ST coach, and OL coach) or you are looking at another season like this year. In addition, they need to hire a bunch of offensive analysts and metric guys to help carve out more edges in the game plans. To put it nicely, this staff is weak on the offensive side of the ball and it's understaffed. Staff positions are filled with too many guys that aren't Xs and Os guys. That needs to be addressed and changed immediately.

Not saying that an O.C. is not needed but against the 2019 schedule that is on tap, It's quite manageable. This years schedule was manageable as well but we kept turning the ball over multiple times in our losses. 2017 squad that went 10-1 in the regular season did so because they did not turn the ball over and could flip field position. This years squad could not stop shooting themselves in the foot starting with VA all the way until G.T. We had 2 or more turnovers in each game we lost this year and we barely lost those games. Imagine if we just played ball without mistakes this year...if we had a punter who could average 40+ yards per attempt. Do you think we still lose 5 games or is it more like 2 games at the most?

My point is simple. We go out next year and play turnover free football like we did vs V.T. and Pitt and the schedule sets up nicely for a 11-1 season or even 12-0.

You've seen it in his Miami tenure. Tried to run the RPO with Kaaya which everyone knows was a mistake, then switched to his strengths late in 2016 and the offense picked up. Centered the offense around Malik's strength last year and we won 10 games. Yeah, the defense created opportunities, but our best success, on offense, was with Malik being an effective runner as another player the defense had to account for. Once teams began to spy him and press our receivers, Malik had nothing else as a QB and we struggled.

This year was an unmitigated disaster in how he managed the QB play. No excuses. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And only he knows how and why he managed the position, and by extension, the entire offense, so poorly. I expect he'll gear the offense to play off of Perry's strengths next season and if Perry flops, then we'll see Jarren. In either case, I expect the offense will be better.

Brother, your post is absolutely the best in evaluating the offenses in past years under Richt. It's short and straight to the point. Richt really screwed the pooch with his management of the offense and the QB's but I agree that he will gear the offense toward who the QB who wins the battle in the off season.

Advertisement
Back