I know that I will get killed for writing this today but

We loss five games and counting in year three and the reqruciting class has headed to the border trying to get INTO Mexico. I don’t know about the rest of you, but my yard is full of pieces of the sky and the lake is flooding over from even more. No chickens in sight. I think this might be the real thing.

Doc Rivers.gif

Advertisement
The last decade of Richt's tenure at Georgia when he won 10+ games 6 times and was 1 play away from getting to the National Championship against an inferior Notre Dame team he would have beaten? People will criticize Richt for the games he hasn't won and there's fair criticism there, how many coaches have gotten that close with that kind of sustained success?

All I'm saying is I'm not going to proclaim next season a disaster before a single down is played. I'll rely on Richt's history of winning games coupled with the class of 2018 beginning to take over the starting spots across the field and see how that shakes out.

What you’re failing to realize is, he won a majority of those games with a shadow booster network that paid recruits, a state that was loaded with talent year in and year out with no real in-state threat to compete with, overall more resources. Nobody did less with more than Richt. Those 15 years at UGA took up the prime of Richt’s coaching life. I grew up in Albany, Ga. witnessed it first hand, so unless he makes a conscious decision to adapt to 2018 offensive college football, the guy’s shelf life is done. We’ve seen who he is.

Richt lost 3 or more games 9 times in his last 10 seasons. At uga those losses came despite having elite talent. Richts history of winning games really occurred in a different era. 2012 he did well, to be sure.

Look at who he loses to and get back to me.
And he's still coaching like it's 2012

What you’re failing to realize is, he won a majority of those games with a shadow booster network that paid recruits, a state that was loaded with talent year in and year out with no real in-state threat to compete with, overall more resources. Nobody did less with more than Richt. Those 15 years at UGA took up the prime of Richt’s coaching life. I grew up in Albany, Ga. witnessed it first hand, so unless he makes a conscious decision to adapt to 2018 offensive college football, the guy’s shelf life is done. We’ve seen who he is.

Because Georgia was the only program running a shadow booster network that paid recruits or was the only state loaded with talent year in and year out? No in-state competition that no other program elsewhere tried to recruit? Everything you said sounds like the same tired, unoriginal, repeated talking points without a sense of thinking for yourself. Most coaches can't win the big game. Most coaches can't even get to the big games. Here's a fact. There were only 4 active head coaches this season who've won a title. 4.

Again, you can criticize Richt, there's fair criticism to be levied upon him for how he's had great talent and not been able to beat Saban and others, but let's not act like him not winning a title yet is exclusive to him. And yes, we have seen who he is. He took a team last year that had no business winning 10 games and got them to the ACC title game where they were without their 3 best offensive players against one of the premier teams in the country. They were a year early last year and weren't ready this year because they were hamstrung by a QB that didn't progress and actually got worse and his backup who didn't feel like midweek preparation was a big deal.

I choose to not bash the guy. If you want, you go ahead, but relying on his track record isn't "failing to realize" anything. I'm not going to declare next season a failure before a single down is played. All we have is his track record of being one of the game's better coaches and his track record says he's a 10+ win coach more often than he's a 7 win coach.

Advertisement
Because Georgia was the only program running a shadow booster network that paid recruits or was the only state loaded with talent year in and year out? No in-state competition that no other program elsewhere tried to recruit? Everything you said sounds like the same tired, unoriginal, repeated talking points without a sense of thinking for yourself. Most coaches can't win the big game. Most coaches can't even get to the big games. Here's a fact. There were only 4 active head coaches this season who've won a title. 4.

Again, you can criticize Richt, there's fair criticism to be levied upon him for how he's had great talent and not been able to beat Saban and others, but let's not act like him not winning a title yet is exclusive to him. And yes, we have seen who he is. He took a team last year that had no business winning 10 games and got them to the ACC title game where they were without their 3 best offensive players against one of the premier teams in the country. They were a year early last year and weren't ready this year because they were hamstrung by a QB that didn't progress and actually got worse and his backup who didn't feel like midweek preparation was a big deal.

I choose to not bash the guy. If you want, you go ahead, but relying on his track record isn't "failing to realize" anything. I'm not going to declare next season a failure before a single down is played. All we have is his track record of being one of the game's better coaches and his track record says he's a 10+ win coach more often than he's a 7 win coach.
Wait a second.... last years team had no business winning 10 games? How so? Who on that schedule had more talent than he did?Lasts years results should be the floor for UM, there’s no reason not to blow thru his division. Beating the teams he out talents is not overachieving, it’s the bare minimum.

If richt was playing top 10-15 teams every week then it would be only fair to excuse Losses. He does not play that schedule.

Wait a second.... last years team had no business winning 10 games? How so? Who on that schedule had more talent than he did?Lasts years results should be the floor for UM, there’s no reason not to blow thru his division. Beating the teams he out talents is not overachieving, it’s the bare minimum.

If richt was playing top 10-15 teams every week then it would be only fair to excuse Losses. He does not play that schedule.

There's a difference in what you want the team to be and what they were last year. They were lucky with the number of turnovers they got, but when you look at all the stats, they should have lost at least 2, maybe 3 additional games last year. The turnovers were huge for them. Shortening the field, keeping the ball away from the other offense, etc...

They weren't lining up and pushing teams off the ball. They weren't blowing teams out. They had close games with bad teams. That's what I mean that they had no business winning that many, but they did, and salute to them for that.

There's a difference in what you want the team to be and what they were last year. They were lucky with the number of turnovers they got, but when you look at all the stats, they should have lost at least 2, maybe 3 additional games last year. The turnovers were huge for them. Shortening the field, keeping the ball away from the other offense, etc...

They weren't lining up and pushing teams off the ball. They weren't blowing teams out. They had close games with bad teams. That's what I mean that they had no business winning that many, but they did, and salute to them for that.
Ok ok I see you’re point... which kinda dovetails with mine, that with such a talent advantage, they should’ve never been in a position to need last minute comebacks against those teams.

Last edited:

Well done, sir. I could not have said it better myself. Very articulate and well thought response. And before anyone says we are both homers for having this viewpoint, please re-read what is written above because it's not homer ism when it's the truth. We could be wrong on Richt but so far he has overachieved in 2017 and underachieved in 2018...Let's see what he does in 2019 before we declare that this team and it's coach are going nowhere.

Advertisement

And like most of you like to point out on here over the last two years, Malik is not a average college QB. He was and is an below average QB who had no business being a QB at the U. I don't agree with that view point but you can't say that Richt didn't overachieve to win 10 games and then say in the same breath that Malik is a below average QB who should not be playing one down for Miami. Just saying.....

Name another state that puts out the quality of football talent that Georgia does that one school dominates. I’ll wait. The closest u will find is Louisiana. Also you keep pointing to his track record. Like I said, unless Mark does a complete overhaul of his offensive beliefs, football principles, and reinvents himself with energy, vigor and zest, his best coaching days for BIG TIME college football are over.

PS: it’s not bashing a guy if you are stating FACTS. Richt is who he is. We got 15 years of film on the guy.

Advertisement
Name another state that puts out the quality of football talent that Georgia does that one school dominates. I’ll wait. The closest u will find is Louisiana. Also you keep pointing to his track record. Like I said, unless Mark does a complete overhaul of his offensive beliefs, football principles, and reinvents himself with energy, vigor and zest, his best coaching days for BIG TIME college football are over.

PS: it’s not bashing a guy if you are stating FACTS. Richt is who he is. We got 15 years of film on the guy.

15 years of film in the SEC. Averaged 10 wins a year. Yep, you're right, that's plenty of film that tells me he knows how to win against the toughest competition year in and year out. Yeah, he had bad years. This year was a bad year. Nobody's disputing that. But you're suggesting he just forgot how to coach? That he can't win in the ACC anymore because you want to believe he's too old? Hey, know what else his 15 years of film says? That he only failed to win 10+ games in consecutive seasons once. That means, to me, playing the odds, that we should expect 10+ wins next season. Is that a guarantee? No, I'm just a fan.

"Name another state that puts out the quality of football talent that Georgia does that one school dominates." What exactly is the point here, that Georgia high schools produce good players and Richt should have found a way to sign 50 Georgia kids a year, scholarship limits be damned? You can have great kids in your area, but if they don't fit your scheme or the scheme you want to run, are you supposed to squeeze round pegs into square holes just to appease internet message board fans?

We're not even at spring practice and you're already convinced he won't change a thing. Let it play out. Let's see what he changes when the roster turns over in January. He's done it before, I trust he's a smart guy and knows he has to do something.

USC has dominated California recruiting for the last 15 years, Texas has also dominated since before the BCS era. Also, virtually no blue chipper leaves Ohio, they all play for the Buckeyes.

USC has dominated California recruiting for the last 15 years, Texas has also dominated since before the BCS era. Also, virtually no blue chipper leaves Ohio, they all play for the Buckeyes.

I will give you USC and Ohio State but wrong in Texas - the best talent in the State ends up at Oklahoma, than probably A&M,,, only then Texas

Advertisement
3 four game losing streaks in 3 years.
Cancers in the locker room.
Quarterback controversy
Lazy recruiting. (3rd year in a row we miss out on several layups) with only 2 offensive players in the class.
Very predictable offensive game planning
Poor player development at quarterback, offensive line, and receiver.
Questionable recruiting decisions at linebacker, defensive tackle, and safety.

Things are not fine.

Coaches blaming players
Our defense losing the best d line man and db we have had in years
Opening next year with Florida is a likely disaster so our season will once again start on the wrong foot

Never said they were but the future is not as bad as some are making it out to be. Everything you said is true but not one thing on your list can't be corrected. The team winning the last two games vs VT and Pitt shows that they haven't quit on this coaching staff. We need real changes in the coaching staff to take us to the next level but here is a fact that no one can refute.

2017- We went 10-1 in the regular season because we won the turnover margin in most every game and we did not kill ourselves in the punting game.

2018- We went 7-5 with all 5 losses having multiple turnovers being committed by us. We also were terrible at flipping field position with our punting game.

These two teams were not that far away from each other. One did not turn over the ball and the other did. We correct that and with the schedule (and talent) that I stated in my first post, we go back to 11-1, 10-2, 12-0.
I just want to ammend that the things that have already happened, can't in fact be corrected. Because you can't go back in time and right those wrongs, no matter the desire to. You can learn from it sure, but can't fix it after the fact. Simply adjust, which 3 decades of evidence suggests the direction that's headed.

Advertisement
Back