I hope this is the one, because ...

Advertisement
The reason I am optimistic about the Mario hire is because I believe we will open the bank for his staff. I'll wait and see what he brings in, because that is what will make or break him here. We're willing to pay, now get the pieces in place. Do that and he'll win big here. Don't do that and we've made an expensive mistake.

wedding crashers comedy GIF

Shannon was really given the short end of the stick here. While everyone was putting money and resources into sports Shalala was feeding everything else. She ran the program into the ground.
Shannon and Golden both. Golden's staff might have been the cheapest staff in history. Both of those men were dealing with penny pinchers. It's like your grandma sending you to the store with a two page shopping list, and $2.35 to spend. Now imagine Shalala being your grandma.

No one was happy when Coker took over for Davis, we hated to see Davis leave and we were right. But then an alum and great defensive coach took the team, Randy Shannon and we were glad, except he made things even worse. Our new hero was Golden and golden except he sucked and fortunately he got canned and a very experienced coach joined the U. Another alum with great credentials and he was loyal to his son and under pressure quit. His DC was hired away and in a desperate move the U brought Manny Diaz back. He was a Miami guy and MOST expected better than what THEY got. But NOW we have another alum, our hero has arrived to rescue the mess the previous coaches could not. Ignore the Utah 76 Oregon 17 debacle he coached against Utah TWICE, he is the knight on a green and orange horse (sorry to refer to horses per the nolies). Not one to denigrate the new hire just want to walk into this with open eyes and recognize the previous 5 were also greeted with enthusiasm. I am rather burned out on change for change sake and as most know I believe Manny deserved one more year except the pressure to fire him neutered his recruiting.

Now the positives. Mario is a solid if not great coach. He has access to more assistants via the found money for the u. It looks like some of his Oregon recruits could come here. Diaz left him a sound foundation at many positions, especially QB. I am sad for Manny but happy for the U and thank Herbie for his pressure to get the U to invest more into our programs. I am anxious to see how the team responds and how the administration plays out as far as football AND baseball. The future looks bright and I am as excited as other fans yet pray that Manny finds a good position as he is a good man, just unlucky in close games, those 4th and longs killed him.

Oh, I enjoyed my vacation and when banned you cannot even read the board so got some real R&R, now lets all agree that we have a new regime and pray they gather some great recruits and win, win, win! IT'S GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE!

TLDR

Advertisement
Who was happy Shannon was hired, or Diaz? Both with zero HC experience. I had buyers regret on Golden following the Maryland game.

Mario has been a HC for a while now, at a P5 conference. Which he's won.

You're absolutely wrong right out of the gate. Everyone wanted Coker except a rare few and the alternative (Alvarez) was making everyone freaking out worried "we'll be a boring Big X team."
Unfortunately my opinion was based on my close friends not the internet back then so your associates misread Coker, and those friends of mine (including one that was actively very engaged with the U, feared Alvarez as Shalala's baby.

Unfortunately my opinion was based on my close friends not the internet back then so your associates misread Coker, and those friends of mine (including one that was actively very engaged with the U, feared Alvarez as Shalala's baby.
I can't tell if you're contradicting me or...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Who was happy Shannon was hired, or Diaz? Both with zero HC experience. I had buyers regret on Golden following the Maryland game.

Mario has been a HC for a while now, at a P5 conference. Which he's won.
As I recall Manny was recognized for his defenses, and seemed an ideal person to slide into the HC slot...unfortunately the league figured out his defense and he didn't adjust plus his hire of Enos drew accolades, what a mess that became but you must admit Lashlee was a quick and successful change. I am encouraged with the squad Mario is inheriting and he should succeed right away with the current talent and a few defensive recruits or portals. Believe me, no one wants Mario to succeed more than I do. I've still enjoyed watching our players but the losses (and not the blow outs but the close ones have been painful.

Advertisement
No one was happy when Coker took over for Davis, we hated to see Davis leave and we were right. But then an alum and great defensive coach took the team, Randy Shannon and we were glad, except he made things even worse. Our new hero was Golden and golden except he sucked and fortunately he got canned and a very experienced coach joined the U. Another alum with great credentials and he was loyal to his son and under pressure quit. His DC was hired away and in a desperate move the U brought Manny Diaz back. He was a Miami guy and MOST expected better than what THEY got. But NOW we have another alum, our hero has arrived to rescue the mess the previous coaches could not. Ignore the Utah 76 Oregon 17 debacle he coached against Utah TWICE, he is the knight on a green and orange horse (sorry to refer to horses per the nolies). Not one to denigrate the new hire just want to walk into this with open eyes and recognize the previous 5 were also greeted with enthusiasm. I am rather burned out on change for change sake and as most know I believe Manny deserved one more year except the pressure to fire him neutered his recruiting.

Now the positives. Mario is a solid if not great coach. He has access to more assistants via the found money for the u. It looks like some of his Oregon recruits could come here. Diaz left him a sound foundation at many positions, especially QB. I am sad for Manny but happy for the U and thank Herbie for his pressure to get the U to invest more into our programs. I am anxious to see how the team responds and how the administration plays out as far as football AND baseball. The future looks bright and I am as excited as other fans yet pray that Manny finds a good position as he is a good man, just unlucky in close games, those 4th and longs killed him.

Oh, I enjoyed my vacation and when banned you cannot even read the board so got some real R&R, now lets all agree that we have a new regime and pray they gather some great recruits and win, win, win! IT'S GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE!

Feels like some real revisionist history here.

No one was happy when Butch left—and we were satisfied when Coker took over, as it was a national championship-caliber team and no one wanted the boat rocked ... but most were well-aware Larry was no Butch and there were questions if he could maintain what had been built; especially as a recruiter.

When Shannon was hired, I recall most trying to find the good in a former player getting his shot—but the majority still wanted the search firm to come with a bigger name and better option; Greg Schiano the closest to a "somebody" and him supposedly turning down $2M annually to stay at Rutgers as his wife didn't want to come back to South Florida.

Mark Richt was the right guy at the wrong time; Miami needed him in 2006, not 2016—one foot out the door and ready to retire—and it led to Manny Diaz being a half Shannon / half Golden type hire; knew the brand and was tabbed as some up and comer, but was all smoke and mirrors.

I'm not sad for Manny Diaz. He was paid handsomely for three years of average work and leaves with an $8M severance. He had his dream shot and stubborn, egotistical ways did him in—naming himself defensive coordinator this time last year, as well as blocking Alonzo Highsmith's involvement (and pushing away other former players) at a time when Miami didn't have deep pockets and needed help.

Side note; Manny was also lucky in close games as much as he was unlucky—Central Michigan, Virginia and Pittsburgh in 2019. Virginia, North Carolina State and Virginia Tech in 2020. Appalachian State, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech in 2021. That represents just about about half of the 21 games he won.

Bounces went both ways for the guy—let's not take a page from his farewell-to-the-troops letter about his effort, unlucky breaks, injuries and other excuses that define his tenure. He is what his record says he is—and he went 7-5 in an abysmal year of ACC football where the conference was wide open for the taking and the Canes happened to eke out a win over the eventual champ. Sad.

You and Mario getting the Welcome backs today. A couple things that jump right out at that first paragraph: None of those hires mentioned were coming off a season and had a signature win beating a Top 3 team and a team that finished in the previous year's Top 4 (this era's playoffs), oh yeah and beat them on the road. Nor, as I recall were any of them coming off playing in three-straight conference title games and winning two. Nomsayin? I do still get a shiver down my spine recalling Shannon's "Deer in the Headlights" expression on the sideline.

**** you’re fragile af

Guy won 2 pac 12 championships back to back, lost what be the 3rd in a row (pretty obvious staff and players were effected by rumors and Mario not assuring anyone)
He had more 10 wins in a few season than we’ve had once in over a decade + almost two decades now

This is the best hire Miami has done since Butch but his recruiting prowess will get us kids we haven’t gotten in long time. Should be able to pull southern ca kids with his pipeline he created at Oregon n prevent sec continued dominance by stopping bama and Georgia from coming here n raping us in our backyard

He’s getting assistant to money to bring elite coordinators in. He will be given everything to compete with bama money on assistants.

Advertisement
Back