I have a feeling Enos is Whipple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to say that I don't get the comparison, but whatever.

I swear though, some of you do realize this is the Canes we're talking about? I know, we've been down for a while and we've gotta start somewhere, but some of the comments on this thread are disturbing or just an attempt to deflect that it was a somewhat uninspiring hire.

I don't just want an average OC. I don't want someone who is just going to get us to 10 wins. I want a return to greatness. I want a top 10 offense. We are smack dab in the middle of the richest talent producing area for offensive players in the entire country.

I will give him time, but there is no reason him or anyone else shouldn't be able to produce some serious results. Our expectations should never be as low as they are for some apparently.

Advertisement
Look, I WANT to believe....I truly do. I’m a hopeful, I’m probably the biggest homer on the board, and I’m as irrational of fan as anyone when it comes to my fandom but what exactly has Enos shown to be looked upon as the God-King Xerxes of offensive playcalling

One year as OC at Arkansas and 1 year as QB coach at Alabama is a small sample size at this level, and it’s not as if his offense at Arkansas was some juggernaut. I think he could be Mark Whipple at best. That’s not awful, but it ain’t special.

Prove me wrong, Enos. I beg you.
This is a pointless thread and you should delete it!!!! There is no point speculating about coach Enos. You have less than 90 days before you can pass judgment based on the product on the field. Even then I wouldn't make any judgments until halfway through the season.

You could say the same thing about couch Diaz or any other coach. I don't know if he's ready to be a head coach at a major program. I don't know if the other coaches can recruit well.

Of course you don't know!!! They just got here. Let's wait for some results before we start throwing out speculation.

Thank you.

Look, I WANT to believe....I truly do. I’m a hopeful, I’m probably the biggest homer on the board, and I’m as irrational of fan as anyone when it comes to my fandom but what exactly has Enos shown to be looked upon as the God-King Xerxes of offensive playcalling

One year as OC at Arkansas and 1 year as QB coach at Alabama is a small sample size at this level, and it’s not as if his offense at Arkansas was some juggernaut. I think he could be Mark Whipple at best. That’s not awful, but it ain’t special.

So not only is it that he's Whipple, but Whipple "at best". So you yourself note that there's not a big sample size to make an opinion from, but then decide to relegate him to being "at best" a very mediocre OC? Your view is as irrational as the view of any fan that thinks Enos will be the greatest OC ever.

Enos, and other coaches, must work within the confines of teams they coach for.

Alabama had an offense designed to GRIND. SEC power football. Arkansas didn't have a whole lot of top talent - certainly nothing like UM has.

A coach has to coach within the parameters in place in terms of personnel, type of offense, conference type, and freedom of action.

Now, Enos has different personnel - faster, very talented - as OC - he will determine the type of offense as Manny has given him his ideas - our conference - the ACC - is more about quickness and speed, as we saw come into play in the NC game.

And as OC, Enos will have lots of freedom of action he's not had previously.

Let's trot them out this fall - and see what happens. Think about Mullins - he has NO idea what to expect from UM - but we have an idea what his offense and defense will look like.

I've been watching UM since they hired Schnellenberger, and there's one constant in UM football - we win games that we didn't have a snowball's chance in **** of winning. Dropped some easy ones too - but we cut our teeth on knocking off the big boys.

So I'm gonna wait and see. This is UM - and the kids normally rise well above their coaching.

Mark Whipple? Any name you could've pulled out of thin air and you go with Whipple? Some outlier dude who wanted to throw 98% of the time and didn't know how to manage the talent he had—namely Jacory Harris, who had an average arm yet Whipple wanted him to huck it down field a dozen times a game? Some old curmudgeon who bounced between NFL assistant gigs and head coaching opps at small schools like UMass, Brown and New Haven, so he could be some big fish in a little pond with autonomous control? How is any of that like Dan Enos' career to date?

No one is calling Enos any god of anything—and everyone knows his one-year stint at Alabama was a co-gig with Mike Locksley. The only extra praise people have praised on him was the fact Saban was looking to retain him and he chose Miami and Diaz instead. Outside of that, his resume isn't much—three years at Arkansas as a coordinator and aching quarterback and a five-year run as head coach at Central Michigan.

No one is saying the guy is a proven guru—they're simply happy Mark Richt and his son aren't running an anemic offense anymore. At minimum, Enos is addition by subtraction—with Team Richt gone—which based on some of the talent on that side of the ball, is welcomed news.
That was one of the best posts I’ve ever read here.

@The Svengali go take your post and bring it back to your moms basement

Advertisement
He was at Arkansas three seasons, and that wasn't his first OC gig. It was his 5th, and he'd also already been a HC.

We've also seen way, way worse than the Whiplash.
Dang! Should have locked the thread on this alone.
BRCane1 nailed it.

Enos’s Heavy play action game will work wonders for us.

The multiple formations will keep defenses guessing.

There will be jet sweeps and reverses.

He will attack the entire field and use the tight end mismatch to the fullest.

The qb will almost always have an easy throw to go to when things get hairy. Won’t be much 4 certain with no checkdown.

He will throw to the backs.

He will move the pocket.I don’t believe Enos will hang the o line out to dry.

One thing that impressed me most was he scored 30 on #1 Bama while his offense was COMPLETELY DOMINATED at the line of scrimmage. Bama DESTROYED his offensive line physically, but his playcalling and qb development got them yards and points even though they were wholly overmatched.

The offense WILL be respectable this year. You can bet your bottom dollar on that. By the end of the year, I think we will be explosive.

Advertisement

I stopped reading after, '...I'm probably the biggest homer on the board...'

Lol. Get a massage bro

Sabans conversation with himself:

Saban: This Enos Guy, he kinda sucks. I think I should make him my next OC.

Saban: Yes. That will work. Now let’s go bbq orphans, I’m getting hungry.

Saban: But we have thst Hitler youth rally you have to attend. You’re the keynote speaker.

Saban: Dont you tell me what to do.

Advertisement

Good news, worst case scenario is that he is going to be a huge improvement over Mark Richt as an OC and an even bigger improvement as an QB over Jon Richt!!! The offense will definitely be much improved over last year!!!

Lol if we had Whipple last year with the defense we had.. 10 wins is the floor..

Noodle arm Rosier would have seen the bench and Perry would have become Jacory 2.0 slinging the rock deep.... Perry has very good touch down field

I think manny Diaz is the best Bill belichik....goes that ? I can also pull dumb , baseless comparisons out of my buttocks.

Advertisement
Lmao.

Let me know when Whipple impresses Saban enough to give him a job on his Bama staff.

Saban isn’t known for his Offense’s. Not sure why you would use him as your argument. Now, his Defense? That’s another story.

The truth is, we won't know untill mid season how our co ordinators and head coach are. People were screaming bloody murder when Richt hired Mullen's DC because the guy "sucked at Texas." Now Manny Diaz must prove himself again. Over time.

Saban isn’t known for his Offense’s. Not sure why you would use him as your argument. Now, his Defense? That’s another story.

Don’t get it twisted , Saban knows O **** near as much as D. Just like belichik, they’re great because of that . Those guys knowledge of the entire game is second to none. They’re obsessive. Same with st’s.

I actually heard an interview where Brady actually said BB knows just as much or more about o as any oc he’s had. Both of them are cut from the same cloth.

So if Saban signs off on a oc it’s very high praise.

We will find out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back