I have a feeling Enos is Whipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Svengali

Sophomore
Look, I WANT to believe....I truly do. I’m a hopeful, I’m probably the biggest homer on the board, and I’m as irrational of fan as anyone when it comes to my fandom but what exactly has Enos shown to be looked upon as the God-King Xerxes of offensive playcalling

One year as OC at Arkansas and 1 year as QB coach at Alabama is a small sample size at this level, and it’s not as if his offense at Arkansas was some juggernaut. I think he could be Mark Whipple at best. That’s not awful, but it ain’t special.

Prove me wrong, Enos. I beg you.

Advertisement
Advertisement
With our defense we just need an offense that is above average and can sustain drives. That would be light years better than last year.

Exactly! No ones asking for a top 10 offense. We just need to be slightly above average and capitalize on the opportunities the defense will create.

If our offense and punt team are competent we’ll win 10+ games.

Look, I WANT to believe....I truly do. I’m a hopeful, I’m probably the biggest homer on the board, and I’m as irrational of fan as anyone when it comes to my fandom but what exactly has Enos shown to be looked upon as the God-King Xerxes of offensive playcalling

One year as OC at Arkansas and 1 year as QB coach at Alabama is a small sample size at this level, and it’s not as if his offense at Arkansas was some juggernaut. I think he could be Mark Whipple at best. That’s not awful, but it ain’t special.

So your whole headline draws a comparison to a failed OC of the past yet your thread doesn’t give one example of how they are comparable.

Great job.

Advertisement

Mark Whipple? Any name you could've pulled out of thin air and you go with Whipple? Some outlier dude who wanted to throw 98% of the time and didn't know how to manage the talent he had—namely Jacory Harris, who had an average arm yet Whipple wanted him to huck it down field a dozen times a game? Some old curmudgeon who bounced between NFL assistant gigs and head coaching opps at small schools like UMass, Brown and New Haven, so he could be some big fish in a little pond with autonomous control? How is any of that like Dan Enos' career to date?

No one is calling Enos any god of anything—and everyone knows his one-year stint at Alabama was a co-gig with Mike Locksley. The only extra praise people have praised on him was the fact Saban was looking to retain him and he chose Miami and Diaz instead. Outside of that, his resume isn't much—three years at Arkansas as a coordinator and aching quarterback and a five-year run as head coach at Central Michigan.

No one is saying the guy is a proven guru—they're simply happy Mark Richt and his son aren't running an anemic offense anymore. At minimum, Enos is addition by subtraction—with Team Richt gone—which based on some of the talent on that side of the ball, is welcomed news.

Advertisement
I don’t think anyone is looking at Enos as the Messiah, all we’re asking for is a competent OC, one who develops the QB’s if also the QBC (which he is) and design an offense that caters to the strengths of the South Florida kids - namely speed. All early indications are that he will, and do so with their speed completely at the fore front of his play calling. Give the man the benefit of the doubt, at the very least initially; he gets us a Top 35-50 we’re skull ******* this schedule and watch what we do versus big boy Clemson too

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back