I have 100% confidence in our run D this season

Advertisement
Uchamps, you already know i was straight when we got coach richt, he got goon in em man, competitor to the core. Plus he back home now and for real, he was gone so long once he got back here, he instantly remembered why championships were won here. He knows you dont have instill configence at UM, you just have to put it in the right system, get out the wzy and watch us do our thang thang. Before richt got here tho, i was hype once julio frenk got the job, cause i knew real quick under him, the moron regime was running on fumes. Reminded me of this scene right here, starts at the 4:01mark but especially @4:19, that's how julio got at the last regime once he tried fake like it wasnt him.

Coach richt not faking or scared to play anybody, and he has alot to prove too, for starters, he never won a national championship as a headcoach, than you got people feeling like he not a national championship headcoach. In alot of ways, he not trying to see kirby smart win a national championship before he does, he'd be happy for the players he recruited but as a competitor come on. Than he knows the Blue print is here, but it's nothing like being a national championship headcoach at UM, cause itll place him where he belongs and to be respected among the grearts. I luv how he got tired of standing their watching tool box and the rest of the d-linemen keep getting yoked out against wisconsin and he went off, and told the other fella's get off me, lol! Than it still bothers him that he didnt beat out jim kelly for the starting job, lol.

We in good hands, coach richt dont like soft teams, you see how he handled the gerald willis situation, real beautiful, thats why he still here cause he understands he with real family now. The jersey shore ***--gots would've been done crucified that man and ruined his career. So yeah man, no more weight gain talk, and trust the process bs, only real coach talk. Like when he said when he got here, "we dont have any receivers that can blow by people" i know stacy coley thinking, hold on, let me step my game up, but that got fixed real quick. You already coach rumph and coach dugans are goons, the 2yrs, our receivers have been putting on a blocking clinic. I get hype how i use to when soldinger use to coach the runningbacks and how they blocked, that's how i get watching our receivers. You wanna get hype, go back and watch that play where Ahmon scored that touchdown on west virginia in the bowl game, you get hyped just seeing mark walton and coley show up in the frame cause you know what they coming to, but to see coley block that man all the way out of bounds after richard was already in the endzone, comical! Coach dugans got them boys understanding that blocking is fun but a main key in the running game. We already know the work coach rumph doing. Coach searels, still in wait and see mode, but we should start seeing signs and by next year, if healthy, we should be well on our way with a strong o-line.

But yeah man if wilder connects, anthony gone have problems, but if ant stays in the pocket, he'll be able to avoid alot of em, we'll see how it pays out, but both guys get tired quick though. Honestly, although wilder be winning, im not impressed by his boxing style, he would've gotten ate-n-up not to long ago, he coming along at the right time in boxing, holyfield would've had a field day with him cause he would've just stayed on the inside in his chest!

Yeah, this entire post sums up my sentiments as well. I see more of the Mark Richt that told his players to celebrate in the Endzone against the gators than I do the Rev. that man is on a mission and to see what he was able to do with the Goldens leftovers was pretty remarkable, imo.

Now as far as Holyfield and Wilder goes... I DEFINITELY agree with you there. Wilder does have the luxury of what seems to be "weaker" competition.

Two big country hosses going at it. Itd be fun to watch but id def put the check on holyfield.

Cant blame Wilder for that tho.

I don't see what changed (or what will change) from last year as far as the defensive scheme goes.

Gap integrity is not our strong suit. If you want to have a disruptive defensive line, then you are going to sacrifice gap integrity, and that is going to lead to chunk yardage plays - both run and pass, but I am referring more so to run. That's one of the reasons JJ led the team in tackles. When a big OL comes unblocked at our MLB, most times our guy isn't going to be able to make that tackle and its gonna fall to the safetys to clean it up.

If anything, I think it can be fixed on the back end. More pre-snap confusion, better personnel groupings on 3rd down, picking our spots to be aggressive and not 100% relying on it, maybe covering the slot receiver once in a while lol.. all these things are fixable. However, I think we will remain susceptible to accurate QBs, especially those that can throw on the run and those that can make the proper pre-snap read and get the ball out quickly.

I think Manny is who Manny is. Many of us have been in agreement that we would rather err on the side of aggression. I know I would.

I would argue that gap integrity wasn't about scheme as much as it was about guys being aggressive. Look at the runs fsu had...I don't think the D was drawn up so that the front 7 all converged on the ball leaving the outside open. That probably doesn't cover all of our gap issues, but it's what I noticed.

And not to be a dck, but everybody struggles with QBs who are accurate, can throw on the run, and make proper pre-snap reads.

Advertisement
I would argue that gap integrity wasn't about scheme as much as it was about guys being aggressive. Look at the runs fsu had...I don't think the D was drawn up so that the front 7 all converged on the ball leaving the outside open. That probably doesn't cover all of our gap issues, but it's what I noticed.

And not to be a dck, but everybody struggles with QBs who are accurate, can throw on the run, and make proper pre-snap reads.
Isn’t a large part of our scheme our DL being disruptive and shooting gaps? McIntosh in particular seemed to be in the backfield faster than the snap was - exactly like a 3-tech with 1-gap responsibility should do. If you don’t make that play in the backfield, there’s a big hole to run through.

Conversely, if you have Your DTs essentially clog space and/or take up 2 blockers, you should theoretically free up space for your LBs to make plays. But you sacrifice those tackles for loss that we all love so much.

This plays right in to what I was saying about the QBs. Did you notice how deep our safetys lined up? Aggressive DL getting upfield, deep secondary = open intermediate routes all day if the pressure doesn’t get home. (But you make a valid point that everyone struggles against good accurate QBs). We didn’t give up many big plays, but we got nickel and dimed to death. We always hated D’No’s bend but don’t break. To me, to a certain extent Manny’s defense is bend but don’t break as well, but incorporates aggression and pressure. Play the safetys deep over the top to stop the big play, and hope you get a splash play before those intermediate routes break you.

In the Shaq thread I mentioned how I’d like to see him play a little better in pass coverage bc he was exposed there a litte last year, but that the scheme didn’t do him any favors. You can connect the dots and see what the LBs are forced to do coverage-wise (hence, the striker). Only late in the year did we start to see DEs dropping back into coverage. I’m thinking we will see that diverse play calling earlier this season as manny matures as a play caller and learns his personnel more.

Zone Blitzes, when your LBers weakness as a whole is pass coverage is scary af....Too many times the middle of the field was wide open last yr....Love Diaz's intensity, but he gets too Blitz happy....Needs to disguise them alot better...

.Love Diaz's intensity, but he gets too Blitz happy....Needs to disguise them alot better...

I’m 100% with you here. Others (possibly @coachmacho ?) have said that disguising isn’t used much at the collegiate level, and that because most QBs we face are 1 read type guys, disguising isn’t necessary/effective. (Im paraphrasing and not trying to speak for anyone else)

To me, we have a defense full of smart upperclassmen. If you are going to blitz, then you need to confuse and disguise a lot more than we do.

Advertisement
Isn’t a large part of our scheme our DL being disruptive and shooting gaps? McIntosh in particular seemed to be in the backfield faster than the snap was - exactly like a 3-tech with 1-gap responsibility should do. If you don’t make that play in the backfield, there’s a big hole to run through.

Conversely, if you have Your DTs essentially clog space and/or take up 2 blockers, you should theoretically free up space for your LBs to make plays. But you sacrifice those tackles for loss that we all love so much.

This plays right in to what I was saying about the QBs. Did you notice how deep our safetys lined up? Aggressive DL getting upfield, deep secondary = open intermediate routes all day if the pressure doesn’t get home. (But you make a valid point that everyone struggles against good accurate QBs). We didn’t give up many big plays, but we got nickel and dimed to death. We always hated D’No’s bend but don’t break. To me, to a certain extent Manny’s defense is bend but don’t break as well, but incorporates aggression and pressure. Play the safetys deep over the top to stop the big play, and hope you get a splash play before those intermediate routes break you.

In the Shaq thread I mentioned how I’d like to see him play a little better in pass coverage bc he was exposed there a litte last year, but that the scheme didn’t do him any favors. You can connect the dots and see what the LBs are forced to do coverage-wise (hence, the striker). Only late in the year did we start to see DEs dropping back into coverage. I’m thinking we will see that diverse play calling earlier this season as manny matures as a play caller and learns his personnel more.

My view is that scheme-wise, it's on the LBs to fill those holes left by the DL getting upfield and at times they didn't maintain their gaps. To me that looks like guys over pursuing rather than a flaw in the scheme. I'll be the first to admit that I'm going on how I think the scheme is meant to work and how I think the players are executing so I could be totally off.

My view is that scheme-wise, it's on the LBs to fill those holes left by the DL getting upfield and at times they didn't maintain their gaps. To me that looks like guys over pursuing rather than a flaw in the scheme. I'll be the first to admit that I'm going on how I think the scheme is meant to work and how I think the players are executing so I could be totally off.
Believe me, i can be totally off as well. Just trying to get through the long off-season.

If it was on the LBs to absorb and shed OL and make plays, wouldn’t we be recruiting big, bama type backers? Instead, we are getting smaller and, hopefully, faster (i.e., shaq), and implementing the striker.

I just think you’re asking a lot out of your LBs with the type of scheme you mentioned.

Believe me, i can be totally off as well. Just trying to get through the long off-season.

If it was on the LBs to absorb and shed OL and make plays, wouldn’t we be recruiting big, bama type backers? Instead, we are getting smaller and, hopefully, faster (i.e., shaq), and implementing the striker.

I just think you’re asking a lot out of your LBs with the type of scheme you mentioned.
In a 3-4 where it's imperative to have a Gifted Nosetackle....To run a 3-4 and have your DLmen only engage the OL...and let LBers clean up isn't and never was UMs forte....
Used to anger me to no end with Donuts trying to run a 3-4 with Good..but small LBers....

In a 3-4 where it's imperative to have a Gifted Nosetackle....To run a 3-4 and have your DLmen only engage the OL...and let LBers clean up isn't and never was UMs forte....
Used to anger me to no end with Donuts trying to run a 3-4 with Good..but small LBers....
Well, the scheme he mentioned basically put the same responsibilities on a LB as a traditional 3-4 would, does it not? Either that or just leave yourself completely exposed to play action, misdirection, and open TEs.

Advertisement
Last year, for a solid portion, we only had 2 DBs with experience in the defensive scheme, and the physicality to both cover and tackle.

When you're faced with the decision between putting someone out there who is both a coverage liability, and suspect tackler, your only option is to stay in your base and have the SAM trying to cover the slot in space. You know he's going to get beat in coverage over the middle, but he'll at least tackle the guy when he catches it.

This season, we have an infusion of talent coming in at DB, and we have enough players with the experience and ability to allow us to match personnel with the spread offenses we'll face and attack it with Nickel and 4-2-5.

We'll be fine. Manny's defense won't look near as risky once we have capable guys covering the back end, and this will have the added benefit of allowing our rush more time to get to the QB.

I expect the D to really make the transition from good to one of the league's best this season.

Not a football guru by any means so just asking. Isn’t the 4-2-5 essentially nickle ? 4 linemen, 2 backers and 5 db’s ?

Advertisement
Olivadotti ran a 4-2-5 in 83 at times under Shnelly....Tony Fitzpatrick told me it was called "Monster" back then....

Advertisement
Back