I cannot believe I am seeing BS about Poff get #2 over Emory. WTF?

I'm putting whoever is the second best QB on the #2 spot. I would base that decision on what have you done for me lately, the spring, and nothing else. It's a real simple concept.
Can I Get An Amen Ludacris GIF by VH1

Advertisement
Look, I like Emory as much as anyone here, I absolutely love the way he plays the game, but people need to stop with this, “He beat Clemson and may have beat FSU” stuff. Against Clemson, he had 151 yards passing and averaged 4.6 per pass which means a whole lot of dinkin’ and dunkin’. Against FSU, he had a 35% completion percentage. One thing I believe we all can agree on: We need to make it through the season without Cam getting hurt.

There was nothing in the Clemson or FSU game that screamed P5 starter from Emory. Both those games were run heavy to take the ball out of Emory's hands.

Against Clemson we had 2 TDs with one an 80yd George run and the other we ran 9 of 11 plays. In FSU, the first TD we ran 8 out of 11 plays. The second was a 1 play 80yd TD that FSU misplayed. People saying he was driving us in the last series seem to forget it was 4th and 2 from our own 20 when he got hurt. The replay review could have gone FSUs way because it was not clear if he made the line.

I like Emory's heart but if he is #2 and Ward were to go down for more than a game, this season would be over. Poff didn't stand out in the spring game but he has a lot of starting experience with good stats.

Last edited:
You gotta understand the strategy in this. It's a reps thing. A #2qb gets limited reps in practice meaning his exposure is minimal. Now if you take a QB and put him at scout team (which I'd imagine we'll be using Emory and judd at)then he's working **** near all week against your starting defense. So while you're counting on one immediately in case you need to get him in the game, the other gets far more development. I'd far rather have Emory at scout this season. It'll get him ready for next season instead of appeasing fans now.

It's almost like you played football before and actually know what you're talking about...........................

Advertisement
I'm putting whoever is the second best QB on the #2 spot. I would base that decision on what have you done for me lately, the spring, and nothing else. It's a real simple concept.
Thank you.

I definitely appreciate the sheer guts he showed last year when we desperately needed it, and he took one for the team…but he was never what you would call superstar in throwing motion, scrambling, etc. The race for number 2 had to start all over in Spring.

Advertisement
This goofy poster thanks you all for the comments. I have read them all and the conclusion is that
Poff and Emory are still battling in out for #2.
Poff--More experience and more mobility, but not sold on the goods yet.
EW--Great dude, had a few great moments, but still not sold on the goods.

That sum it up?
Thanks,

:neonu:

Thank you.

I definitely appreciate the sheer guts he showed last year when we desperately needed it, and he took one for the team…but he was never what you would call superstar in throwing motion, scrambling, etc. The race for number 2 had to start all over in Spring.

As it always should. It's even more so true when someone is coming off an injury. You've always gotta earn your spot, point blank. I know it's hard to not have favorites coaching, but you can be **** sure if I was getting what college coaches are being paid, I'm playing the best guy with no remorse whatsoever.

Advertisement
This goofy poster thanks you all for the comments. I have read them all and the conclusion is that
Poff and Emory are still battling in out for #2.
Poff--More experience and more mobility, but not sold on the goods yet.
EW--Great dude, had a few great moments, but still not sold on the goods.

That sum it up?
Thanks,

:neonu:
Spot on

TVD completed the same amount of passes that one drive that emory did in the entire 2nd half lol what driving and believing did u actually see? In the 2nd half he completed ONE pass that passed the line of scrimmage that fsu safety should have had a walk in pick6

Its insane how delusional yall get for players yall like lol, its like yall in a different universe
Respectfully, I believe it’s unfair for anyone to look at that performance without context. Emory barely had time to practice with the first team since Van Yikes was going to be the starting QB and took 1st team reps all week except Thursday and Friday I believe. Also that Semenhole (team was full of portal mercenaries ) roster was superior to the Canes overall. Emory was not given a fair shake because Van Yikes was the veteran and returning starter. The kid has the moxy to be a great game managing Qb similar to Dorsey. Not turning to ball over will be the key for our Canes to win The Title this year. I know it’s premature but I think this year is the beginning of a dynasty

The obsession with Emory is wild. Kid isn’t anything special. Capable backup? Sure, but he will never be the guy here. Our starter next year isn’t on this roster 😉

Advertisement
I would love to know what prompted this thread because I’ve never seen a thing about anyone arguing or getting in their feelings about who is #2. Talk about the strawman.

The obsession with Emory is wild. Kid isn’t anything special. Capable backup? Sure, but he will never be the guy here. Our starter next year isn’t on this roster 😉
If Mario keeps getting Cam Ward types (Mobile with rocket arm) then there’s no discussion. Every Canes fan( including myself) that got enamored with the idea of Emory leading the team was basing it off of the Quality of QBs on the roster. Which is night and day different. ****, I personally would’ve given Emory all the starts last year after Van Yikes threatened with leaving to Bama. I’m not trying to be coy and convince anyone but please let’s not be stupid and act like Emory can’t become a great player. Just needs time to develop and that only happens if he wins out. I personally don’t see Emory beating out the Puff 💨 er next season if Mario can’t bring in another top not Qb. Blessings to all.

Respectfully, I believe it’s unfair for anyone to look at that performance without context. Emory barely had time to practice with the first team since Van Yikes was going to be the starting QB and took 1st team reps all week except Thursday and Friday I believe. Also that Semenhole (team was full of portal mercenaries ) roster was superior to the Canes overall. Emory was not given a fair shake because Van Yikes was the veteran and returning starter. The kid has the moxy to be a great game managing Qb similar to Dorsey. Not turning to ball over will be the key for our Canes to win The Title this year. I know it’s premature but I think this year is the beginning of a dynasty
Nah emory had the reps that week i think

But either way im not bashing emory here, he played the best he could and is a great kid

Advertisement
Back