I can confirm Miami is working hard on transfers right now..

My nephew Jalen Blackmon had a very good visit. They spent a lot of time with Coach L and his wife who had them over for breakfast this morning. The family was very impressed with Coach L, they felt he was genuine, and the facilities which are the equivalent of what they have seen elsewhere. And whereas no final numbers were discussed, Miami has a very healthy and competitive NIL program. At a minimum, Jalen is not choosing another school over UM because of NIL. They also loved the campus which they described as more like a resort than college campus.

The issue the family has is that UM still has 5 open roster spots and Coach L admittedly wants 6 guards, 5 forwards and 2 centers. So the concern is if Jalen commits, who else will UM go after. The other issue is playing time. 25 minutes is probably enough, 18-20 is not. UM didn’t promise anything specific but said he needed to arrive and compete. This is Jalen’s last season of college ball so roster and playing time are the only strikes against UM, but they are potential strikes.

I am trying to push but not be seen as trying to push. Their agent loves UM, but Arizona and Nova have both shown recent interest. It is unclear whether Jalen will take any more visits beyond Northwestern and Miami. Right now I would give UM the advantage over Northewestern, in particular because the family likes Coach L. Jalen’s high school coach (dad) was not a yeller so they don’t care for coaches who stomp around and yell and blame players (see Rick Pitino).

Still very fluid and I will disclose what I can.
Thanks for the update and glad to hear he enjoyed the visit! I think if Wooga comes back, the PT issue is a valid concern. If Wooga is gone, I see your nephew getting lots of PT - upwards of 25 minutes a game.

Advertisement
Thanks for the update and glad to hear he enjoyed the visit! I think if Wooga comes back, the PT issue is a valid concern. If Wooga is gone, I see your nephew getting lots of PT - upwards of 25 minutes a game.
Wooga plays a different position so it shouldn't matter regardless

Thanks for this good news. You read elsewhere (for example S.I. - Indiana, this week) you see no mention even of Miami (per ESPN (Borzello))...

View attachment 287348

Now will be interesting to see what "expert" out there reads CIS and then adds Miami to the mix in next update.
That list is disconnected from reality

My nephew Jalen Blackmon had a very good visit. They spent a lot of time with Coach L and his wife who had them over for breakfast this morning. The family was very impressed with Coach L, they felt he was genuine, and the facilities which are the equivalent of what they have seen elsewhere. And whereas no final numbers were discussed, Miami has a very healthy and competitive NIL program. At a minimum, Jalen is not choosing another school over UM because of NIL. They also loved the campus which they described as more like a resort than college campus.

The issue the family has is that UM still has 5 open roster spots and Coach L admittedly wants 6 guards, 5 forwards and 2 centers. So the concern is if Jalen commits, who else will UM go after. The other issue is playing time. 25 minutes is probably enough, 18-20 is not. UM didn’t promise anything specific but said he needed to arrive and compete. This is Jalen’s last season of college ball so roster and playing time are the only strikes against UM, but they are potential strikes.

I am trying to push but not be seen as trying to push. Their agent loves UM, but Arizona and Nova have both shown recent interest. It is unclear whether Jalen will take any more visits beyond Northwestern and Miami. Right now I would give UM the advantage over Northewestern, in particular because the family likes Coach L. Jalen’s high school coach (dad) was not a yeller so they don’t care for coaches who stomp around and yell and blame players (see Rick Pitino).

Still very fluid and I will disclose what I can.
He'll get his minutes. Also tells me if we have 8 then it is the 3 freshmen, the 2 transfers, Pack, Cleveland and Djobet. I doubt Jim will fill all 13 schollies. I am thinking 3 to 4 more. Jim needs another 3 and another 4/5.

He'll get his minutes. Also tells me if we have 8 then it is the 3 freshmen, the 2 transfers, Pack, Cleveland and Djobet. I doubt Jim will fill all 13 schollies. I am thinking 3 to 4 more. Jim needs another 3 and another 4/5.
Correct. Most teams in today's world of CBB keep 1-2 scholarships open in the event mid-year portal entries, etc.

Advertisement
I think so as well.

As of now UM is seen as highest risk (playing time) and highest reward as UM expects to make the tourney every season under Coach L (L made it clear that he considered this season an anomaly in large part due to injuries).

Northwestern is considered low risk (guaranteed playing time) but also lowest reward in that there is no expectation of reaching the tourney in consecutive seasons.

We will see if Jalen takes any more OV’s to, WVU, Zona or Nova.

I think so as well.

As of now UM is seen as highest risk (playing time) and highest reward as UM expects to make the tourney every season under Coach L (L made it clear that he considered this season an anomaly in large part due to injuries).

Northwestern is considered low risk (guaranteed playing time) but also lowest reward in that there is no expectation of reaching the tourney in consecutive seasons.

We will see if Jalen takes any more OV’s to, WVU, Zona or Nova.
Well, Pack shouldn't play more than 25. He is too injury prone. I don't care if he is a 5-star, Bethea doesn't have the body for more than 25. Your nephew would be a complimentary piece with Cleveland, Johnson and Kidd.

Danny Wolf from Yale commits to the other UM (Michigan)

I wonder if Coach L even reached out to him

He would have been a huge addition to our program

We need another capable BIG

Advertisement
Still so many unknowns with 15, 5 and 7 testing the nba waters, let’s stack the roster and let the talent tell us how many minutes they play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think Miami has moved on.

Moved on in the sense of building next year’s roster based upon who has committed to be here and not assuming that someone who hasn’t committed will return. I’d be somewhat surprised if Wooga portaled… Jim was his biggest fan and supporter (remember Wooga was not in the universe of NBA prospects when he arrived on campus). Neither were happy with this season but I believe they have a good relationship.

A lot of people see Cleveland at the 3 and there may not be room for Wooga at the 2 after a couple transfers… I think it’s too early to say what will happen if he totally washes out of the draft process but his heart is set on being a pro (and was all this year too).

I think it interesting that Cleveland and Wooga have not said anything. You have to proceed as if they’re gone unless they say otherwise.

Advertisement
Back