I can confirm Miami is working hard on transfers right now..

I think Bethea, with his shot making and athleticism, is going to be great but I don’t think it’s absurd or particularly negative to question how ready he’ll be day 1 after seeing him physically alongside the other guys at the AA game. He’s extremely lean with a slighter frame so I’m not sure how quickly he’ll be able to bulk, it’s okay to mention that without it being an attempt to tear the kid down.

Advertisement
I think Bethea, with his shot making and athleticism, is going to be great but I don’t think it’s absurd or particularly negative to question how ready he’ll be day 1 after seeing him physically alongside the other guys at the AA game. He’s extremely lean with a slighter frame so I’m not sure how quickly he’ll be able to bulk, it’s okay to mention that without it being an attempt to tear the kid down.
He's 7+ months away from playing in his first college game. If it's November and he hasn't added bulk, we can have a conversation.

Advertisement
No one is asking him to be a finished product on day one. People forget that guys like Wong and others were thin coming in, got minutes anyway, and they weren't nearly as developed offensively. This is a guy that can score at all three levels, I expect him to do most of his damage in the midrange and from deep, until he gains confidence hitting the lane. Keep in mind, with the proliferation of one and done, it's not like he is going to spend most of the season playing against grown men with NBA talent. A lot of the dudes that are stronger(due to age), will not be as athletic. The athletic, strong guys are usually long gone from college. It's the Zach Edey concept: If they were legit NBA players, they likely wouldn't be playing in college as upperclassmen.

Amazing that if Bethea hadn't signed with Miami, a lot of people here that are trying to sell us on this dude not being legit would be saying "Why didn't Miami close the deal, he's going to be a legit starter at (Insert School Here)." He isn't a finished product, but talent like this, will figure it out as he goes along. Never mind the fact that he will have veterans around him to help out. No one expects him to carry this program, but he will be a valuable piece. Barring him having an early season injury like Walker, Bethea should be fine.
Iam not saying hes not legit I saw the f¥cking game he had 10 points wouldn’t take the ball to the hole he was a none factor in a game he should have taken over cause the other team got physical with him Jesus people are so narrow minded and can’t take the truth when it comes to criticism. For gods sakes he averaged 23 points a game and a team came out and got physical with him and he went 1 for 8 from 3 with 10 total points e

Iam not saying hes not legit I saw the f¥cking game he had 10 points wouldn’t take the ball to the hole he was a none factor in a game he should have taken over cause the other team got physical with him Jesus people are so narrow minded and can’t take the truth when it comes to criticism. For gods sakes he averaged 23 points a game and a team came out and got physical with him and he went 1 for 8 from 3 with 10 total points e
You are cherry picking games to justify your point. I could do this with every single recruit in the country. I've seen games where Flagg didn't look great, doesn't mean I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat, nor down him as a player. Amazing how the dozens of games where he looked like the recruit most believe he is doesn't matter, because there was one game where he looked off. Again, dude isn't a finished product, nor is he expected to be Carmelo Anthony as a true freshman. That said, he will be a big part of the rotation, especially as he learns where he fits in.

You are cherry picking games to justify your point. I could do this with every single recruit in the country. I've seen games where Flagg didn't look great, doesn't mean I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat, nor down him as a player. Amazing how the dozens of games where he looked like the recruit most believe he is doesn't matter, because there was one game where he looked off. Again, dude isn't a finished product, nor is he expected to be Carmelo Anthony as a true freshman. That said, he will be a big part of the rotation, especially as he learns where he fits in.
I'll just put this to bed right now - anyone that thinks that the staff was going to put him in a position where he had to carry a team as a plug and play guy is sorely mistaken. He's going to be surrounded by, assuming Cleveland and/or Omier come back, 4 guys that are double digit scorers and 4 and 5 year college players. He won't be asked to do much right out of the gate and will be the 4th or 5th option in the offense when the season starts.

Advertisement
I know one of the kids we are in a battle for is Tony Perkins from Iowa. A lot of teams are after him.

1713298253408.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
My nephew Jalen Blackmon had a very good visit. They spent a lot of time with Coach L and his wife who had them over for breakfast this morning. The family was very impressed with Coach L, they felt he was genuine, and the facilities which are the equivalent of what they have seen elsewhere. And whereas no final numbers were discussed, Miami has a very healthy and competitive NIL program. At a minimum, Jalen is not choosing another school over UM because of NIL. They also loved the campus which they described as more like a resort than college campus.

The issue the family has is that UM still has 5 open roster spots and Coach L admittedly wants 6 guards, 5 forwards and 2 centers. So the concern is if Jalen commits, who else will UM go after. The other issue is playing time. 25 minutes is probably enough, 18-20 is not. UM didn’t promise anything specific but said he needed to arrive and compete. This is Jalen’s last season of college ball so roster and playing time are the only strikes against UM, but they are potential strikes.

I am trying to push but not be seen as trying to push. Their agent loves UM, but Arizona and Nova have both shown recent interest. It is unclear whether Jalen will take any more visits beyond Northwestern and Miami. Right now I would give UM the advantage over Northewestern, in particular because the family likes Coach L. Jalen’s high school coach (dad) was not a yeller so they don’t care for coaches who stomp around and yell and blame players (see Rick Pitino).

Still very fluid and I will disclose what I can.

My nephew Jalen Blackmon had a very good visit. They spent a lot of time with Coach L and his wife who had them over for breakfast this morning. The family was very impressed with Coach L, they felt he was genuine, and the facilities which are the equivalent of what they have seen elsewhere. And whereas no final numbers were discussed, Miami has a very healthy and competitive NIL program. At a minimum, Jalen is not choosing another school over UM because of NIL. They also loved the campus which they described as more like a resort than college campus.

The issue the family has is that UM still has 5 open roster spots and Coach L admittedly wants 6 guards, 5 forwards and 2 centers. So the concern is if Jalen commits, who else will UM go after. The other issue is playing time. 25 minutes is probably enough, 18-20 is not. UM didn’t promise anything specific but said he needed to arrive and compete. This is Jalen’s last season of college ball so roster and playing time are the only strikes against UM, but they are potential strikes.

I am trying to push but not be seen as trying to push. Their agent loves UM, but Arizona and Nova have both shown recent interest. It is unclear whether Jalen will take any more visits beyond Northwestern and Miami. Right now I would give UM the advantage over Northewestern, in particular because the family likes Coach L. Jalen’s high school coach (dad) was not a yeller so they don’t care for coaches who stomp around and yell and blame players (see Rick Pitino).

Thanks for that. Whatever is best for your nephew is the top priority.

"They also loved the campus which they described as more like a resort than college campus." I've heard that comment from other recruits/family before, and it is not always the positive it sounds like. In this case, I hope it is.

It's a fair concern considering the staff continues to pursue other guards and at least one more big to play behind Kidd. Cleveland and Wooga still haven't made their decisions yet either so the roster is very much in flux right now.

Advertisement
Back