I Can’t Get Over That Two Minute Drill

We’ve seen a lot of bad football here the last two decades. Underperforming units, questionable offensive and defensive philosophies, recruiting failures, etc. have become the norm. We’ve grown accustomed to losing games to teams with inferior talent, for a multitude of reasons. But what we saw last night, at the end of the game, might just be the worst of it all. After an atypical outburst (I mustve looked like a lunatic, admittedly), I looked around asking everyone if I was crazy. My wife hit me me with a “no comment.” I had to walk out, couldn’t stomach to watch the inevitable.

That was a total and complete coaching meltdown, the magnitude of ineptitude unconscionable. I don’t need to rehash the details, we all saw it. The offensive coaching put the kids in an impossible situation, with the result being they had no chance to overcome their coaches’ failures. Coaches displayed zero situational awareness, no clock management, no contingency planning—it was as if they’d never been in that situation before. There is no rational defense of what we saw. Indefensible. Inexcusable. Unforgivable, truly.

There are things you can correct, variables let’s say—better scheming and game planning masks some deficiencies, as of course does improving talent. But then there are things that are fixed, that won’t change. And as long as Richt is at the top, we are stuck with what we’ve got, which is plainly incapable. Absent the hiring of offensive coaches who are given complete control, we’ll continue to see this. The question is who will be around to watch. I don’t know how much more I can take.

Ok, rant over. Thanks for indulging me.

See y’all in 2020?

thats why I call Richt's version of the 2-minute offense 'the Walkman'....That's at least 30 years old, right? Anyways, gotta buy some more Memorex cassette tapes

Advertisement
Jer, I posted a few games back (I can't remember which game I was referring to) that Richt couldn't even get plays in at a normal speed let alone fast speed. I'll have to dig up the post. With that said while Jimbo Fisher is far from perfect, just catch a game of his when the camera focuses on him calling plays and contrast that with Richt. It's beyond alarming. I mean this guy really really struggles. No amount of repetitions, games or whatever is going to cure his problem. Some people can process things quickly in given situations and some can't. He clearly can't. To be honest, I'm not sure why he hasn't voluntarily stepped aside. Any normal human being when put in high pressure situations where they are extremely uncomfortable would say ***** this. Not good Ole preacher man though.

It's like he calls in his plays from a phone booth or one of those old rotary ones...

This is when you know its over. They are soo rigid and have soo little mental capital in the offensive coaching room in regards to how modern spread offense is played now that they sit there with straight face and make comments of these plays worked for 30 years and we dont need explosive plays, then sit in room and actually said hey maybe we should send Langham in motion and see if that works..
And, that's not to say they're listening to what's being said, necessarily. They may just be incredibly late? I have no idea what's going on in that O-room. For example, we used jet sweep motion yesterday over a half dozen times. We *still* didn't use pre-snap motion for the sake of discovery (on coverages).

In today's Rams vs New Orleans game, I saw multiple times where one of the teams would run a player across a formation, set, then run *another* player across the formation. More info. Knowing some guys close to the program, they all readily admit "we prefer to just line up and go." Why? It's not crazy complex to run some of this and it'd help what seem like highly pre-determined throws. These are just minor examples.

Do some of the players need to execute better? Of course. Are we helping our guys gain an edge? Ask some of the teams preparing for us who, in deafening harmony, have admitted we're "the easiest team to prepare for so far." That'd be ok if we were producing. But, look at our 3rd down % conversion and some of the other numbers. Anyway, I've been beating this drum for so long it's old and stale at this point. I know we're at a low when my gut tells me the Xs and Os conversations are close to irrelevant. It's happened 3x in the last 14 years...

Advertisement
I was actually on the shxtter when they ran the 2 minute drill, no joke. If this was 10 years ago, I would have thrown my phone against the wall. But now, it's not worth it to get worked up over games. I'll throw my fan card away before I get a rise over a loss.

And, that's not to say they're listening to what's being said, necessarily. They may just be incredibly late? I have no idea what's going on in that O-room. For example, we used jet sweep motion yesterday over a half dozen times. We *still* didn't use pre-snap motion for the sake of discovery (on coverages).

In today's Rams vs New Orleans game, I saw multiple times where one of the teams would run a player across a formation, set, then run *another* player across the formation. More info. Knowing some guys close to the program, they all readily admit "we prefer to just line up and go." Why? It's not crazy complex to run some of this and it'd help what seem like highly pre-determined throws. These are just minor examples.

Do some of the players need to execute better? Of course. Are we helping our guys gain an edge? Ask some of the teams preparing for us who, in deafening harmony, have admitted we're "the easiest team to prepare for so far." That'd be ok if we were producing. But, look at our 3rd down % conversion and some of the other numbers. Anyway, I've been beating this drum for so long it's old and stale at this point. I know we're at a low when my gut tells me the Xs and Os conversations are close to irrelevant. It's happened 3x in the last 14 years...

Its the outathlete mindset, its lazy and the game has changed, dude if Nick ******* saban saw the writing on the wall, and he is a guy who can build a team to outathlete ANYONE in the game that he had to give that up and even figure out how to gain that edge. If belichek dam near did it 10 years ago to embrace the spread and ask Mullen/Meyer then who the **** is Richt/Richtjr/Brown/Dugans to think they can line up and just outathlete people without anything?

We dont try to get different matchups, we dont try to feed our studs, we dont try to window dress, we dont leverage/play angles, etc. We dont really do anything that has been added that people would consider modern offensive football. We have a few plays, then a grab bag of other stuff that is shoe horned at random. If it works, you will never see it again still or see it built upon.

The random motion that popped up this week? Lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Oh god that was horrible... Can't believe what I just watched... Dude has been an idiot for 18 years...
Maaaaan, where to start..doesn’t spike the ball on 1st and goal from the 1.5 with 16 seconds left...then ******* richt attempts to call a to that didn’t exist lol...

This is what the apologist never seem to understand. These criticisms are about serious issues they cannot understand because they do not understand the sport.

These issues have been apparent since day one and no QB upgrade or OL is going to help Richt with the absolute oblivious clock management or situational awareness.

His play calling is horrendous because of these reasons not because some play did not work.

After spending all season saying fans know nothing and how external commentators are ignorant, we come out yesterday and sprinkle in an almost weird amount of forced jet sweeps. Everything is late. The degree of this current state is nearly unbelievable.

I find this hilarious.

Even when they try to add new plays into the offense their answer is to pick one play and run it 6-7 times a game as if the play itself is the reason for its success and not how you use it. What happen to all the slants a few weeks ago...Tried them and then dumped them. They no idea how to use plays, blend plays or set up plays.

I can think of a dozen plays that have been successful that he never runs again for some bizarre reason. He could literally use those 12 plays every other drive and score more points but we never see them.

Don’t give us the execution bull**** when you cannot even remember what down it is or how much time is on the clock

Last edited:
Advertisement
I still haven't gotten over the fact he Onside kicked it vs UVA.

That sh*t left me shellshocked bruh... I'm not even joking or trying to be funny, that was the loudest WTF I ever yelled out in my life. It was literally the Deathblow of the season imo.
It's this type of **** that makes me realize that just hiring an OC and/or an OL coach will have no significant change on this team, it will be like lipstick on a pig. Unfortunately, the whole **** thing needs to be blown up again. We are 0-4 in coaching hires since Butch

Advertisement
Back