I can’t defend Manny

Advertisement
It’s pretty ******* simple. It doesn’t matter about what kind of style of coach you choose, or the scheme they run etc
You hire a coach that has proven to be a winner for more than a few flash in the pan seasons. A guy with a proven track record in the middle or prime of his career, not the end of his career like Richt. It’s that ******* simple.
I don’t get all this “searching for reasons” bs.
Hire a real deal head ball coach with experience and a proven record. It’s not rocket science.

Richt’s record is 171-64 with a 73% winning percentage. In the five years before we hired him, he averaged 10 wins.

So you feel the need to go back and discuss the Richt tenure? Seriously?

In order for Mark Richt to average 10 wins per season, you need to include a season 4 and 5 years before he got to Miami. During those 5 years, he won his conference zero times. He had zero BCS appearances too.

In his last 3 years, he only averaged 9 wins. Which sucks. 10 wins isn't special either.

Here is Mark's tenure in a nutshell:

The Great Years: 2001-2007 (7 Seasons)
- Wins: 72 or 10.3 Wins Per Season
- Conference Titles: 2
- BCS Games: 3

The Sub-Par Years: 2008-2015 (8 Seasons)
- Wins: 73 or 9.1 Wins Per Season
- Conference Titles: 0
- BCS Games: 0

How about Mark's record against relevant coaches/schools?

Against UF:

2001: Spurrier 0-1
2002-04: Zook 1-2
2005-10: Meyer 1-5
2011-15: Muschump 3-1

Against LSU:

2001-04: Saban 1-1 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2001 and 2002)
2005-15: Miles 3-2 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015)

Against Alabama:

2001-02: Franchione 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2001)
2003-06: Shula 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2004, 2005 and 2006)
2006-15: Saban 1-3 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014

Mark was a loser and a failure when he came to Miami. He was fired for being a failure.

It didn’t work because he was burnt out.

I stopped here. It didn't work because he was a failure and was well past his prime. His prime which was 2001-2007.

Advertisement
The issue is that the admin and the BOT isn't learning from their mistakes. History has been repeating itself right before our eyes. The Diaz hire is exactly like Shannon hire. You know their backgrounds already. Shannon hired Pat Nix as his OC because he felt he was hard to defend at average P5 GTech. Mandy hires Penos because he felt he was hard to defend at average P5 Arky. What UM needs is to hire a proven HC who can put together a legit staff who all possess a burning desire to win. Obviously, the scheme must be a tempo spread on offense and an attacking 4-3 defense. That should be a given.
And LMAO at people saying Enos will leave to be a HC at a D1 school. Pat Nix was coaching HS ball last time I checked.

You're deflecting. We're talking about Blake and Jenn. They're currently employed here. What more needs to be said?

[I apologize for the lack of brevity]

The following is an analysis of the Blake James era as it pertains to actual on the field performance from our football team. Although Blake James was appointed as interim athletic director in October, 2012, he wasn’t officially named athletic director until February, 2013.

I will not hold the results of the interim period against him, although they would further tarnish his tenure (we went 3-4 after he was appointed interim AD). In addition, since the 2019 season is hardly complete, I will not include those results in the following, although they would further tarnish his tenure. Discounting the interim period and this current season, we’re left with six full seasons to evaluate his performance.

The goal is to win more games. We’re not winning enough. I believe in accountability; I believe in logic and reasoning. I am using the actual results during his era and I am left at one conclusion. With that said, I am unclear how we arrived here or who is actually in charge.

• Position #1: Blake James has been fully in control since he was appointed athletic director; why would anyone consider allowing him to have more time?
  • Position #2: Blake James doesn’t have control of the athletic department, if that is the case, what purpose does he serve? Why keep him?
Conclusion: Regardless of whether Blake was/is in control or not, we need to bring in a passionate and competent athletic director. This person should have autonomy/full control of the athletic department. It is of my opinion that the results are unlikely to change until we bring in this person. My hope is to explain to you that it doesn’t take a lot to field a better on the field performance. It isn’t talent or money that is holding us back, it is simply poor, illogical and irrational decision making and a lack of accountability.

Please note that I am not saying that by simply replacing the athletic director, with those attributes, we will be Clemson. I am simply saying that by bringing in the right person, we will field a much better on the field performance and we will win a lot more games.

The Blake James Era: The results of 78 Games between 2013-2018

Since 2013, we’ve played 78 football games. During that span, we’ve essentially had two head coaches: (1) Al Golden and (2) Mark Richt.

The results of those 78 football games have been pretty “consistent”…

Total Games Played: 78

Overall Record: 49-29 (63%)

Average Overall Record 8.2 - 4.8

Total Conference Games Played: 48

Overall Conference Record: 29-19 (60%)

Average Overall Conference Record: 4.8 - 3.2

Average Finish/Place in the Coastal: 2.7

No matter who we play, we’ve lost ~ 40% of our games. We’ve consistently finished in the middle of the Coastal Division and this division features a subpar group of teams. I examined those 29 losses and I came up with the following:

• 15 (51.7%) were to teams who finished the season unranked.
  • 8 (27.6%) were to teams who finished the season ranked in the top 10.
  • Our average margin of loss was 15.4 PPG.
  • 19 (65.5%) were lost by at least 10 points.
As logic dictates, the better the opponent, the more difficult it is to win. I understand it is difficult to beat top 10 opponents, I can easily discount those 8 losses (this doesn’t mean I find it acceptable to lose those games). With that said, I would like to focus on these 15 losses to unranked teams because that is the point of this analysis.

A competent coach is able to put their players in the best position to succeed. A competent coach is able to limit mistakes. A competent coach is able to out coach inferior coaches and inferior teams. A competent coach is able to perform better in those 15 games. We haven’t had a competent coach during this era. We haven’t had a competent coach in a long time.

At the very least, we should be able to bring in a competent coach. At the very least, a competent coach should be able to win 70% of those 15 games. If we won 11 of those 15 games, we’re looking at an overall record of 60-18 (76.9%). Obviously, a competent coach gives us a better chance to win games against ranked opponents, but that isn’t the point. I am simply pointing out that we’re consistently losing to subpar teams and it is easy to see how we arrived here.

----------------

Everyone one in the athletic department MUST go. This is the real and only relevant issue. Coaches don't hire and extend themselves. They're hired by admin. These two are "self-inflicted cancer" and worse than anything the NCAA could ever do to us.

While I agree that the athletic dept should be run by competent personnel, it still doesn't address the elephant in the room, and main underlying issue & root cause for why these problems continue to afflict the MIA Hurricanes football program. Why is it that even when MIA has had competent ADs like Hocutt & Dee..the athletic dept still made questionable decisions with it's HC hires that didn't pan out? It's because even competent ADs have their hands tied and are behind the 8-ball by a university that is completely unwilling/incapable of spending $ on its football program. Not even the most competent AD in the world could work miracles for a football program that has half the budget of what the elite programs spend. This is a POS, dumpster fire university that is bleeding chips in every single aspect. Why else do you think the athletic dept was forced to beg for $ from a POS, ponzi-schemer? That was not a coincidence-it was by design. There is a culture of incompetence that permeates throughout the entire university, that a new AD will never be able to address. One of the main ways in which the landscape of CFB has changed in the last 20 yrs, is there are no elite coaches like Butch Davis, that a university like MIA can hire for cheap. Coaches like that get hired by blue blood programs like UT, as was witnessed by the hiring of Tom Herman. But it's not just having $ for a coach's salary, it's also giving him $20 mil for a staff, which MIA on both accounts is ill-equipped to do. Will a new, competent AD, help MIA to better compete with middle of the road, ACC coastal teams? Yes. But will it help to ultimately appease a fanbase that insists on maintaining championship or bust expectations? I don't think so.

Advertisement
The expensive way to do it would to be to clear house on the defensive staff. The cheap way would be to get rid of Banda and have Rumph coach both DBs, if he cant do that them get rid of him as well, get a good DB coach, I know there is a good DC out there that could coach either LBs or special teams, demote Stroud to analysts and hire a legit DL coach, and do y'all think there is really a need for a designated striker coach or can a LB or DB coach coach them. There needs to be something done with the OL, UM should be looking at the juco market and trying to bringing guys who can play immediately and the guys on campus will either step up and fight for a position or get pushed out.

While I agree that the athletic dept should be run by competent personnel, it still doesn't address the elephant in the room, and main underlying issue & root cause for why these problems continue to afflict the MIA Hurricanes football program. Why is it that even when MIA has had competent ADs like Hocutt & Dee..the athletic dept still made questionable decisions with it's HC hires that didn't pan out? It's because even competent ADs have their hands tied and are behind the 8-ball by a university that is completely unwilling/incapable of spending $ on its football program. Not even the most competent AD in the world could work miracles for a football program that has half the budget of what the elite programs spend. This is a POS, dumpster fire university that is bleeding chips in every single aspect. Why else do you think the athletic dept was forced to beg for $ from a POS, ponzi-schemer? That was not a coincidence-it was by design. There is a culture of incompetence that permeates throughout the entire university, that a new AD will never be able to address. One of the main ways in which the landscape of CFB has changed in the last 20 yrs, is there are no elite coaches like Butch Davis, that a university like MIA can hire for cheap. Coaches like that get hired by blue blood programs like UT, as was witnessed by the hiring of Tom Herman. But it's not just having $ for a coach's salary, it's also giving him $20 mil for a staff, which MIA on both accounts is ill-equipped to do. Will a new, competent AD, help MIA to better compete with middle of the road, ACC coastal teams? Yes. But will it help to ultimately appease a fanbase that insists on maintaining championship or bust expectations? I don't think so.

I don’t know how to respond to this other then let’s try something for the first time in over a decade.

I laughed when you said/stated that money is the actual material relevant issue right now.

Advertisement
Richt’s record is 171-64 with a 73% winning percentage. In the five years before we hired him, he averaged 10 wins.

It didn’t work because he was burnt out. But he’s the definition of a “proven, prolonged winner.” The other guys who meet that definition aren’t available.

Our best bet is to get a guy on the rise. That failed with Golden but may work better with an offensive mind. But for every Herman there is a Fuente. It’s a wildly inexact science.

That's how we got Jimmy. Then Erickson. And even then - Butch Davis.

A guy who can make chicken salad out of chicken and eggs.

But he's gotta have the money for really good coordinators.

It didn’t work because he was burnt out. But he’s the definition of a “proven, prolonged winner.” The other guys who meet that definition aren’t available.

Our best bet is to get a guy on the rise. That failed with Golden but may work better with an offensive mind. But for every Herman there is a Fuente. It’s a wildly inexact science.
It’s never going to work if we keep getting cheap filling out these staffs. Is this REALLY the best staff we could have hired to put around a first time head coach? we hired enos and paid him top dollar but did we do that with the rest of the hires? Nope, not even close. The last 3 regimes are due to having a fatal flaw on a particular side of the ball.

With golden the offense was fine for the most part while the defense was terrible. (Donofrio -nepotism)

With richt the defense was fine for the most part but the offense became terrible after 2017 notre dame game.(Richt oc, qb coach richt jr- nepotism)

with Diaz, the offense shows glimpses and is getting better but the defense(in its 4th year) has taken multiple steps back which is mostly upperclassmen led outside of 3 spots or so.
(Diaz’s yes man hires- baker, Banda, patke, stroud- nepotism)

we havent Hit on the oc and dc hires at the same time the last 3 regimes and thats the theme here. So my point in this is miami has to stop being cheap and actually fill out at a staff completely and stop with the bargain position coach hires. We had our most success in richts first 2 years and that’s when we had our best season and recruiting class yet in a long time. After that regime we immediately scaled back by ultimately hiring this staff so in essence You get what you pay for.

Advertisement
That was Richt. Unfortunately, that prolonged success had taken a lot out of him and he was already making late-period Paterno/Bowden moves like hiring his son.

If Manny keeps trending toward failure, I would look to an offensive-minded coach with a clear system. We haven’t done that yet. But even that approach can go sideways. Chip Kelly is 1-5 and Fuente is losing to everyone but us. These things are hard to predict.

I never considered Richt a success at UGA, more of a joke honestly, but fair enough. I didn’t necessarily mean a 13 year sample, just tangible results.

Posted my criteria earlier on:

-Do not hire anyone that has ever been fired, anywhere, at any point. (I'll take my chances passing up on the next Belichick, who was fired by Cleveland)
-Do not hire anyone without HC experience. We don't have the decision makers to make a Frost type hire.
-Do not hire anyone from a failed regime
-Coach must show prolonged success vs peer opponents in conference.
-Don't even think about culture fit, **** it, thats peripheral nonsense that'll over complicate things
-Go with an offensive minded coach. Would much rather an offensive HC pick his d coordinator, than a DC picking an OC. Defensive minded coaches are often ****ed up in he head about what type of TOP oriented offense they want to run.
-This is probably going to overlap with not hiring anyone who's been fired or doesn't have prolonged success, but don't make a "Recruiter" hire. We need schematic advantage. No one, and I mean no one is talking kids away from bags to play at Miami at this point. Show kids schematic advantage and competency, and more will stay home.

I don’t know how to respond to this other then let’s try something for the first time in over a decade.

I laughed when you said/stated that money is the actual material relevant issue right now.

How is money not the relevant issue? It's the only thing relevant. I gave you 2 clear cut examples of competent ADs that hired HCs which ended up failing. Why was that? It's because their hands were tied by a cash strapped university. Hocutt is currently a chairmen on the CFB playoffs committee, and Dee hired Butch. MIA ended up hiring Clappy, Radio, Folden, & Richt because it was the best that it could do at the time, given the budget constraints. Also..your pt of hiring Richt as a failed coach is moot on 2 fronts. 1.) When he was hired by MIA, he had one of the highest winning %'s of all active HCs. 2.) MIA has had a proven track record of hiring HCs that couldn't win big games, but ended up being elite during their MIA tenure. Were Jimmy & Erickson NC winning HCs when they were hired?

Advertisement
Back