I can’t defend Manny

Golden was a hot name. You liked him and I liked him. Picking coaches is hard.

Golden had at least been a HC. He also had other P5 programs interested in him and cost peanuts. More importantly, no one was coming here under the Shapiro cloud. Golden tried to hire Cristobal, who bailed on him after accepting the job. Maybe it's a different story had Cristobal been a man of integrity and stayed home to help Golden recruit. Worst case Golden gets fired and Miami lazily hires Cristobal (James is doing the search, after all) instead of a HC who had been fired by a program with nearly unlimited money because he was an underachiever. We get Cristobal on the cheap, and pin our hopes on his recruiting prowess like Clemson did with Dabo.

Advertisement
Yup. The talk got the fans excited. Heck, after watching half-mast for 3 years, it got me excited. But it was just talk, and should have been a clear red flag. We need a leader with a good football mind. This is a turnaround/build, not a manager/caretaker opportunity. Miami connections aren’t relevant, and at this point, I think are probably a negative - we just don’t evaluate people properly when they have Miami connections. Not saying we couldn’t ... but we haven’t. We end us using those connections as a basis to project myth onto the person, and wind up with a series of wtf hires. Let’s just get it right and start over. Like you said, do the diligence. We’re irrelevant in the worst division in P5 football.
That staff Shanny put together will go down as one of the all-time worst. The Stubblefield hire reminded me of Coker hiring that pilot trainee Moseley to coach WRs.

His staff is full of losers on the downslope with zero pedigree, but Stubblefield stood out to me as a real indictment. He got fired everywhere and was renowned as a deplorable recruiter. His next job was sure to be as a personal trainer like Jon Richt, yet we threw him a life preserver.

Golden had at least been a HC. He also had other P5 programs interested in him and cost peanuts. More importantly, no one was coming here under the Shapiro cloud. Golden tried to hire Cristobal, who bailed on him after accepting the job. Maybe it's a different story had Cristobal been a man of integrity and stayed home to help Golden recruit. Worst case Golden gets fired and Miami lazily hires Cristobal (James is doing the search, after all) instead of a HC who had been fired by a program with nearly unlimited money because he was an underachiever. We get Cristobal on the cheap, and pin our hopes on his recruiting prowess like Clemson did with Dabo.
If the requirement for hiring is ‘has at least been a HC,’ then fold the program. Golden was a terrible hire.

The irony about “Miami guys” is that Miami was a joke program until guys from everywhere NOT NAMED MIAMI taught this program, and city, how to win college football games.

Miami didn’t make Howard a winner, he made Miami a winner.

Miami was ridiculed for hiring a dude from Washington State who ran a gimmick offense. Weird, huh.

Advertisement
That staff Shanny put together will go down as one of the all-time worst. The Stubblefield hire reminded me of Coker hiring that pilot trainee Moseley to coach WRs.

His staff is full of losers on the downslope with zero pedigree, but Stubblefield stood out to me as a real indictment. He got fired everywhere and was renowned as a deplorable recruiter. His next job was sure to be as a personal trainer like Jon Richt, yet we threw him a life preserver.
Stumblefield got bounced every 2 years. Not only that but he came from an option offense. Apparently catching a bunch of passes gets you hired at Miami. No one even knew he was coaching.

If the requirement for hiring is ‘has at least been a HC,’ then fold the program. Golden was a terrible hire.

I'd hire Folden over Manny every time. Penn State wanted Golden too. No one wanted Diaz except a G5 school. The entire time Golden was at Miami, he was waiting for the NCAA to give the death penalty. Yet he still managed to win 9 games in a season, beat UF, and even technically won the coastal (which Miami refused hoping to get mercy from the NCAA). What's Diaz's excuse?

Miami was ridiculed for hiring a dude from Washington State who ran a gimmick offense. Weird, huh.
JJ played at Arkansas and was the head ball coach at Okie State with a pretty pedestrian record. But who he coached under and who he lost too and why is important. He learned from Broyles and Switzer and couldn’t beat OU or Nebraska because they had twice the talent. JJ knew football and Sam hired him because he was fiery and confident.

Mullen would have been a great fit here for the same reasons. We don’t need a Miami guy, we need a football guy who has a Rolodex of like minded football guys.

A nice bag game wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

Stumblefield got bounced every 2 years. Not only that but he came from an option offense. Apparently catching a bunch of passes gets you hired at Miami. No one even knew he was coaching.

As much as a WTF hire that was, the WRs re at least catching better

Advertisement

Manny surrounded himself with mediocrity. There is nothing serious about this staff, and the AD who let it happen, who hired a coach with no search, no process, no experience ... should just resign.

The program is dying because of what's in place. We did a search. We looked around the country prior to cmr quitting. It was something that was being prepared for once ultimatums were made to richt. That's what's FAR WORSE. This wasnt a matter of being lazy. This was these ******* morons legit thought this ********** was the best option for this job beyond giving Oregon 10-12 million to buy out mario. Mario was the coach we locked in on & we tried to low ball Oregon with the buy out by several million. Oregon said no & now this is what we have. I just got off the phone trying to talk people off the edge and their all literally on the bus right now cracking up and having a good old time... as I've said this program has no culture,no pride and no respect. Get used to it while everyone wants to defend them.

Its worse than i thought if Cristobal is whom they targeted and wanted. Who tf is buying him out for that much?.
The probably is the admin and the AD.....they need to go like NOW. But the donors maybe cool with apuppet like the AD we have. So........

Advertisement
The irony about “Miami guys” is that Miami was a joke program until guys from everywhere NOT NAMED MIAMI taught this program, and city, how to win college football games.

Miami didn’t make Howard a winner, he made Miami a winner.
We've tried the Miami guy already with Randy. This sh't has come full circle. We now have the Cuban Randy.

Advertisement
I'd hire Folden over Manny every time. Penn State wanted Golden too. No one wanted Diaz except a G5 school. The entire time Golden was at Miami, he was waiting for the NCAA to give the death penalty. Yet he still managed to win 9 games in a season, beat UF, and even technically won the coastal (which Miami refused hoping to get mercy from the NCAA). What's Diaz's excuse?
Golden was a terrible corch and terrible hire and saying he’s better than manny is pointless. Likewise, the sanction excuse is just that. You ask what is Diaz’s excuse like a true excuse monger. Your question is insane. They can both be bad hires. You ever consider that?

And if Penn State wanted golden, he’d be there now.

Yeah. All that staff needed was a new HC, a new OC, new QB Coach, new DC, and new S&C guy.

It’s Ok for us to quit comparing current failures to past failures and looking for the firmer piece of stool to anoint. Richt was washed. Shanny is trash. Either way we were going to continue our downward death spiral.

And for fcks sake, please stop this “we need a Miami guy” **** (not talking about you Dee—that’s just a general statement to this decrepit fanbase and administration). There’s football outside the old Miami trees.

We need a competent AD. We need a real ******* HC - with a Rolodex and an eye for coaching talent.

Last edited:
This program is sunk.

All the admin does is react late and then allow football imbeciles to dictate the coaching hires. They listen too much to some of the old players who don’t really study college football.

All they want is a “Miami guy who knows the area” or some other lame **** like that. Those guys don’t even know who the up and coming coaches are. They’re stuck in the Russell Athletics era.

These imbeciles have actually hired coordinators off two failed staffs trying to get the band back together.

We had a nice run, but in 30 years, fans will hear some stat that Miami won 5 NCs, and they’ll be like “****, I had no idea Miami ever had a great football team.”

It’s a wrap. We’re too far gone. We’ll sit around for 3 years with Shanny as HC because that’s what classy schools must do. They must wait at least 3 years before they can correct mistakes. Then, lather, rinse and repeat. They’ll hire Rumph or Baker as HC.

All of this is the absolute truth.
We are too far gone.
The hole is too deep.
Its been too long.
I can make the argument we are there now as far as kids not knowing we had a great team.

Advertisement
Back