Hyppolite visits UM in back-to-back weeks, building bond with Baker

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
As one of the top remaining targets on UM’s 2020 linebacker board, McArthur (FL) 3-star LB Ruben Hyppolite was on campus this weekend for Miami’s biggest recruiting event of the year, Paradise Camp.

“The visit was good,” Hyppolite said. “All in all, it was a great experience being there and hanging out with everyone.”

While he didn’t participate in the camp itself, Hyppolite used the time to get to know the current Miami players and staff a little better. It seems the Miami defensive staff put the full-court press on Hyppolite and let him know how much he is wanted in Coral Gables.

“I spoke with coach (Blake) Baker, coach (Ephraim) Banda, coach (Manny) Diaz - coaches like that, most of the defensive coaches,” Hyppolite said. “They were just telling me that I had a great opportunity to come in and play right away. They were saying how they’re losing 4 linebackers next year and that some of their linebackers were injured. They said I had a great chance to come in and compete for a job right away.”

Which Miami coach is Hyppolite in contact with the most?

“At the moment, it would be coach Baker, but I talk to coach (Eric) Hickson, the running backs coach, as well,” Hyppolite said. “Me and coach Baker, we just really started getting to know each other 2 months back. I like how he coaches, I like how he carries himself as a man and as a coach, so he’s cool people for sure.”

Despite sitting out for Paradise, Hyppolite did workout for the coaches the week before when he participated in the Manny Diaz Camps 7-on-7 tournament on campus with his high school team, McArthur.

“We lost in the semifinals, but it was great just being out there with my teammates,” Hyppolite said. “I showed the coaches that I could move and had speed, so I feel like I played well.”

The 6-0 225 pound linebacker surprised many when he made an early commitment to Maryland in April during an unofficial visit to the Terrapins, but Hyppolite feels the Maryland staff had already laid much of the groundwork in the months prior.

“I just felt at home with coach Locks (Mike Locksley), coach JP (John Papuchis), coach Brian Williams, coach Cory Robinson,” Hyppolite said. “Just speaking with them guys, they stay in my ear pretty much 24/7 and we’ve built a good relationship. And Maryland was already one of my top schools anyways, so when I visited, it met my expectations that I wanted in a school. That’s why I committed.”

Two months has passed since his visit and commitment in College Park, and in that time, Hyppolite has visited UM multiple times as well as Alabama, picking up an offer from the Crimson Tide in the process. Hyppolite says he will continue to make visits throughout the cycle until he signs and will be taking all five of his officials.

“I’m going to still take visits because at the end of the day, I still want to enjoy the recruitment process while I still can,” Hyppolite said. “So, I’m going to take my officials during the season, during the fall. That’s where I’m at right now.”

Where would he like to take his official visits to?

“I’m thinking Alabama, Penn State, Maryland, Miami, and the fifth one, I’m not sure yet, but it will come to me when the season rolls around,” Hyppolite said.

Over the offseason, Hyppolite transferred from American Heritage to McArthur for his senior season, and his spent this spring getting comfortable with his new teammates and improving his game.

“Spring went well, I had a successful spring,” Hyppolite said. “I feel like I’ve gotten much better since last year, most definitely. I feel like I improved on a lot of things like my technique. I proved I’ve gotten better as a player.”

In his junior season at American Heritage, Hyppolite racked up 68 tackles, 10 TFL, 4 sacks, and 1 INT. Hyppolite is looking to improve upon those numbers and help bring a title to McArthur as a senior.

“I’m looking to just have a breakout year,” Hyppolite said. “Winning states is obviously the most important goal, but for myself, I just want to get college ready, improve my skillset first and foremost and then just get my teammates better. I just want to go out with a bang my senior year. This is my last time, so I want to go out on top.”

Hyppolite plans on signing in December and early enrolling at his school of choice. At the Opening Miami Regional back in February, he recorded a 4.54 40 time, a 4.40 shuttle, and a 31.50 inch vertical leap.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Any idea why he didn't work out?

Usually, a lot of the bigger name kids don't end up working out, this year it so happened that a lot of them did. For Hyppolite, he didn't mention why, but I'm sure it was because he didn't feel the need to having an offer already and especially after having worked out at UM the week prior

Was he injured his Jr year?

68 tackles is very underwhelming...

Cave had about 100 more tackles than him last year.

****, I had 20 more tackles than this kid playing MLB my Sr year and never played a down of college ball.

Last edited:
Advertisement

****, I had more 20 tackles than this kid playing MLB my Sr year and never played a down of college ball.

Did you play with a few other div 1 prospects on your defense as well?. Usually kids playing on teams with a bunch of div 1 prospects dont put up huge numbers as other guys are making plays as well.

He's a BEAST regardless...He is likely faster than every skill position guy we have committed right now. .....AT 225 POUNDS and growing. He also is a smart football player. He should be made a priority in this class. Maryland has done a great job with him though recruiting wise.

Advertisement
Offering him late never made any sense given our situation. We are losing 3 starters and have zero proven depth behind them. This kid is 220, runs a 4.54 40 time, a 4.40 shuttle, and a 31.50 inch vertical leap and we waited to offer him... smh. This kid should be at Miami.

He's not at Heritage anymore. He's at McArthur, his public school in Hollywood.

As for his number of tackles, don't ever give too much credence to high school statistics. The person keeping them is usually a high school kid volunteer. Especially tackles where "assisted tackles" are very much open to interpretation.

Advertisement

****, I had more 20 tackles than this kid playing MLB my Sr year and never played a down of college ball.
There is a reason this kid this kid has an offer from Alabama Clemson and us. Those schools dont just throw out offers

Advertisement
Back