2023 Hykeem Williams, 2023 WR (signs w/ Forfeit State)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it, but I’m reading this, and other recent recruiting trends, as Mario is hitting the same recruiting wall that all of our other coaches have hit.

I’m starting to think Miami fans need to scale back their recruiting expectations of Mario.

Consistent top 15 classes would be a huge improvement, but if we are expecting top 5-10 classes than I think we are setting ourselves up for a let down by expecting Mario to come in and all of a sudden just have the secret sauce with SFL recruits that we’ve been missing.

I love Mario, and I think we got our guy, but he’s been missing more than he’s been hitting SO FAR. Pains me to say, but that’s the sense I’ve been getting since he’s been here.
It's April and you are probably scarred from the last staff.

If you're scared go to church! Or get a dog. Or go to church with your dog.

Advertisement
I hate to say it, but I’m reading this, and other recent recruiting trends, as Mario is hitting the same recruiting wall that all of our other coaches have hit.

I’m starting to think Miami fans need to scale back their recruiting expectations of Mario.

Consistent top 15 classes would be a huge improvement, but if we are expecting top 5-10 classes than I think we are setting ourselves up for a let down by expecting Mario to come in and all of a sudden just have the secret sauce with SFL recruits that we’ve been missing.

I love Mario, and I think we got our guy, but he’s been missing more than he’s been hitting SO FAR. Pains me to say, but that’s the sense I’ve been getting since he’s been here.
what the everloving f*ck? he's missing more than hitting so far? he's been here 4.5 months dude. what are you talking about? he's landed 8 portal transfers and has 8 months until early signing day. some of you guys are just weird man

Some of these kids just can’t get enough attention. Especially guys like Innis and Williams. They expect Miami to bend over backwards. They are being recruited hard by the staff currently.

I’ve said it the day we hired Mario… he will have to recruit the hardest he’s ever had to now that he’s at Miami.

At the end of the day we really need to hit on our evaluations. That is what we’ve lacked the most under previous regimes. If Mario can evaluate correctly we won’t have to worry about all these soflo divas.

If we still have 4-5 commits heading into fall camp then get worried.
Mario was fortunate that USC was a dumpster fire while he was at Oregon. He took advantage of that and pulled in great classes out on the West Coast. Recruiting in South Florida is a totally different animal. Add in the fact that these kids don’t remember a time that UM was any good, and it adds to the difficulty of recruiting .

I get that kids want to get the year round, round the clock treatment from every coach but just like I tell fans on this board..i will say the same to the kids..ITS APRIL! My god what Mario is doing right now in APRIL is something we have NEVER seen. I dont think any school is bringing in visitors at the clip we are right now. There is still 8months (or 10 months if you count Feb NSD) to go in this race. I dont think its a coincidence that many of our visitors are not from the area. Mario probably has a strategy to get as many OOS kids on UOVs down here as possible before HS Summer workouts start or before the dead period.

Also keep in mind that Mario is going to be all hands on deck in the portal after Saturday.

Way too early to panic.

Advertisement
Hardest job in the country when u have Kirby and Saban right there who are monster recruiters and eval guys.
It’s more than just coaches from other schools.

-you’ve got handlers like Moe with their own agenda
-you’ve got guys like SFE owner who is a piece of ****.
-many FSU grads as local HS coaches
-HS coaches who weren’t recruited by UM when they played(Irvin)
-zero hometown loyalty
-parents looking to get recruited more so then their kids

Then when you factor in we weren’t getting support by the university and had lame duck coaches.. we had zero shot .

Now we have the financial support, quality coaching, and plan.

Next is to develop the **** players we have and hopefully that helps in the win column. We need local guys to get drafted 1st/2nd round. Guys like Chaney, Knighton, Jacolby, etc need to show out.

We need to win. And even then it’s still going to be hard to recruit the top players locally. We are slowly checking off boxes.

-zero hometown loyalty

Then when you factor in we weren’t getting support by the university and had lame duck coaches.. we had zero shot .

Next is to develop the **** players we have and hopefully that helps in the win column. We need local guys to get drafted 1st/2nd round. Guys like Chaney, Knighton, Jacolby, etc need to show out.

We need to win. And even then it’s still going to be hard to recruit the top players locally. We are slowly checking off boxes.
We going in the right direction it's just going to take time and I don't know if the fans are about time. At least now there is hope. All the other staffs we're no hope.

Right but I meant it😂😂😂😂😂
Show Down Clint Eastwood GIF

Driving Car Crash GIF by Travis

-zero hometown loyalty

Couldn’t agree more…. Just win baby! Biggest thing is keeping a wide net open for recruiting. Find the best kids who can Play here and open to the opportunities we give on and off the field.

Don’t forget some of the best players to ever play for Miami didn’t play in south Florida or even the state of Florida.

Advertisement
Isn’t it odd that apparently all of our top targets are leaning elsewhere according to the media? Let it play out.
Reminds me of the coaching search and even Mario’s hire. Think hope is gone and then BAM!!!

-zero hometown loyalty

And dont forget there are some single parents that want their kids out of town.. I didnt believe it until I had family members personally tell me they wanted their son on their recruitment to go out of town so they could see something else, get away from local hanger ons and basically so she could be free of worry and turn up while she still got it, lol.. I used to think that excuse was not true but saw it up front and personal..

Alot of young enough parents think like that so they can get their groove back.. They start putting that in their kids head young too.. I have heard recruits say it themselves in interviews

And dont forget there are some single parents that want their kids out of town.. I didnt believe it until I had family members personally tell me they wanted their son on their recruitment to go out of town so they could see something else, get away from local hanger ons and basically so she could be free of worry and turn up while she still got it, lol.. I used to think that excuse was not true but saw it up front and personal..

Alot of young enough parents think like that so they can get their groove back.. They start putting that in their kids head young too.. I have heard recruits say it themselves in interviews

Hykeem headed to UGA for their spring game this weekend. Sorry if already posted.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know you’re going to catch heat for the premise but I see what you’re saying. “Locking down South Florida” may not be the same concept it used to be.

I think recruiting has changed and people really have brands that kids respect in South Florida now. That 15 years of mediocrity has given people in roads to high schools and new brands have become dream schools in a way that changes the landscape from what we knew.

I say this while believing the class will be amazing but I’m starting to think it will be a grind that Mario will ultimately succeed but not some magical bump class where all the people we want jump on early.
Agree with all of this. It's gonna take time.

Mario is a grinder. He's a great dude, by all accounts– parents want their kids playing for him. And an elite recruiter, as is the staff he put together.

But we have to give Mario some time to improve the product on the field and put some guys in the league. Bama can come down here to any big time WR prospect and say: I know playing for your hometown is nice, but I put big-time South Florida WRs in the league (Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley, Amari Cooper, etc.) and win championships. That's a hard pitch to overcome.

If Mario can put together 2-3 years in a row of 9-10+ win seasons (coastal champs) AND up the number of Day 1 and Day 2 draft picks coming out of here on an annual basis, then our recruiting will really take off imo.

I still think he's gonna land us a top 10 class this cycle though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back