Hurricanes Land At #8 In The Pre-Season AP Poll

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
In our second glimpse of a pecking order in terms of how the nation views college football this season, the initial AP Poll for the 2018 season was released today.

While pre-season rankings don't always mean much, a higher ranking early on can be favorable when jockeying for position at the end of the season. Considering the last impression anyone had of the Canes was losing three straight to end last season, putting a damper on Mark Richt's electric second year with UM, Miami made out pretty favorably in the pre-season rankings, slotting in at #8 overall, same as last month's pre-season Coaches Poll. It's Miami's first top 10 ranking to start the season since 2006, when Larry Coker was at the reigns of the program.

This also means Miami's first matchup of the season is set and they will officially be playing a ranked opponent. #8 Miami will square off against #25 LSU on Sept. 2nd in Arlington, Texas. The game will be shown on ABC at 7:30 ET.

Miami at #8 would make them the presumptive favorites to win the ACC Coastal according to the coaches, as Virginia Tech is the next highest divisional opponent at #20. However, the coaches have chosen the Clemson Tigers as the favorites to win the ACC overall, slotting them at #2 in the nation. The coaches see Clemson facing off with Alabama yet again in the playoffs for a 4th straight year, with the placing of the defending champion Crimson Tide at #1 as expected.

Coming off a 7-6 season, Miami's arch-rival Florida State nabbed a #19 ranking in new head coach Willie Taggart's first season at the helm, bringing the ACC's total to 4. UCF was the next highest in-state team at #21 and also sport a new head coach in Josh Heupel. The coaches also gave a lot of respect to another new head coach, Dan Mullen and the Florida Gators. Even though UF ended last season at 4-7, the Gators are only the second team out of the rankings and are technically considered #27 in the country.

By conference, the SEC and the Big 10 actually lead the way in ranked teams to start the year in a three-way tie with 5, followed by the ACC (4), Pac 12 (4), AAC (1), Moutain West (1), and Independents (1).

2018 Pre-Season AP Poll Results

1. Alabama (42)
2. Clemson (18)
3. Georgia
4. Wisconsin (1)
5. Ohio State
6. Washington
7. Oklahoma
8. Miami
9. Auburn
10. Penn State
11. Michigan State
12. Notre Dame
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. TCU
17. West Virginia
18. Mississippi State
19. Florida State
20. Virginia Tech
21. UCF
22. Boise State
23. Texas
24. Oregon
25. LSU

Others receiving votes: South Carolina 96, Florida 68, Utah 60, Oklahoma St. 51, FAU 38, Arizona 28, NC State 22, Texas A&M 21, Boston College 18, Northwestern 13, Kansas St. 10, Iowa St. 8, Houston 6, Memphis 3, Troy 2, Iowa 2, Kentucky 1, Arkansas St. 1, Fresno St. 1.

Advertisement
I'm not sure I agree with Texas or Oregon (both 7-6) over Scar, but maybe I'm biased towards my alma mater lol.

• LSU will not see the top 25 again this year, after we curb stump them.

• Auburn will finish the season outside the top 25

• Georgia should not be top 3

• Michigan top 15? LOL

• F'uck UF

Advertisement
Let's not get off topic here fellas. Our uniforms are garbage.. recycled garbage.

- How is Michigan 14
- If Urban is fired then Ohio State won't finish in the top 20.
- I'm glad LSU is ranked. Having some ranked teams on our schedule will help in the case we finish 10-2.
- Even those I said I'm glad LSU is ranked they shouldn't be TBH.
- I got Texas winning the Big 12. Only team in that conference with defense and talent.
- USC was a one man show (Darnold). That team won't finish top 20. I got Washington for the Pac 12.
- Penn State For the Big 10.
- Clemson for the ACC UNTIL we show we can consistently be dominant on the O-line and on Defense. I think (unless that freshman QB is a stud) that the QB position is holding Clemson back. We got smoked by a mediocre QB.
- Oregon probably shouldn't be ranked. They improved but not enough to earn a ranking.
- How did UF finish 27th?
- It speaks VOLUMES that Dan Mullen left Miss State and Miss State is ranked in the teens. They clearly think losing Mullen wasn't that big of a deal. (It wasn't)
- Glad Louisville is not ranked. You already know they rank those Alabama opponents just so can say they beat so&so like they did with FSU last year when FSU nearly missed a bowl.
- FAU should of been ranked TBH.

Last edited:
- LSU will lose in Dallas and then rebound. They’ll threaten top-20 maybe even top-15. This helps Miami.
- Auburn definitely will finish a top-25 team, probably top-15 or better
- Georgia...should be top-3 (begrudgingly) … preseason.
- I have MI winning their first game of the season; Shea Patterson can get their offense moving … they’re top-15.
- if SC beats UGA, which I believe will happen … the east is up for grabs
- UF … they’ll be better than the board thinks. They’ improve their win total from last season.
- TX … ranked about right.
Yep. We definitely completely disagree with each other.

Advertisement
For all the BS about pre-season polls not mattering it makes a big difference to start the season highly ranked. Teams that start the season unranked or near the bottom of the top 25 almost always have to rely on everyone ahead of them losing in order to move up. Rarely do teams drop spots as long as they're undefeated, regardless of how well they've actually played or whom they've actually played.

Advertisement
Very realistic playoff year for the U since there’s the possibility of beating multiple ranked opponents. Would like to believe a 12-1 Hurricanes team that loses in the ACCC gets in ahead of an 11-1 or 10-2 SEC or Big10 team.

Miami going undefeated... beating Clemson in the ACCG. UGa in the 1st round of the cfb playoffs and Bama for the chip.

Advertisement
- LSU will lose in Dallas and then rebound. They’ll threaten top-20 maybe even top-15. This helps Miami.
- Auburn definitely will finish a top-25 team, probably top-15 or better
- Georgia...should be top-3 (begrudgingly) … preseason.
- I have MI winning their first game of the season; Shea Patterson can get their offense moving … they’re top-15.
- if SC beats UGA, which I believe will happen … the east is up for grabs
- UF … they’ll be better than the board thinks. They’ improve their win total from last season.
- TX … ranked about right.

They won 4 frickin games last year and you think they'll improve?

El oh el dude.

They way overperformed last season, this year's ceiling is 4 wins.

Miami going undefeated... beating Clemson in the ACCG. UGa in the 1st round of the cfb playoffs and Bama for the chip.

I like they way you think. Now can we win the Bama game with Homer stripping a pick away from Bama DB as he runs down the field and the returning it for the winning TD? We are owned one of those and the look on Satan’s would go nicely with the one of Bobby on that first wide right. Plus, Homer wears the Chain so well.

Florida was lucky that Kentucky forgot to cover a WR, not once but TWICE. That should have been another loss.

Advertisement
Back