Off-Topic Hurricane Season

I'm minutes away from Ft Myers Beach, but being 2 miles inland saved my ***. My GF has been so shook, she even mentioned maybe it's time to move, even though it's only been a yr since I bought this Condo. She was offered an unbelievable job in Coral Gables at Mount Sinai Medical Center a few months back, and we've been contemplating that scenario since. Now after this disaster even more so. I mentioned this to @TheOriginalCane at that time.

my father had open heart surgery at Mount Sinai. I’m very familiar with the hospital even before then. One of the best.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I lost my Mom from Pancreatic Cancer...and my former Wife from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma...I know how devastating it can be.
My wife had Pancreatitis and without a doubt the most unimaginable pain and suffering she went through , so I know your mother had tremendous suffering brother.

Sorry to bring this up but this pain left a mark I won’t forget.

GOCANES

My wife had Pancreatitis and without a doubt the most unimaginable pain and suffering she went through , so know your mother had tremendous suffering brother.

Sorry to bring this up but this pain left a mark I won’t forget.

GOCANES
Mom's passing was 1992. But what my former Wife endured with the Lymphoma was mind boggling, until her passing in 2013. Lost my daughter in a Vehicle accident in 2008 at 18yrs old as well.

Advertisement
Mom's passing was 1992. But what my former Wife endured with the Lymphoma was mind boggling, until her passing in 2013. Lost my daughter in a Vehicle accident in 2008 at 18yrs old as well.
Brother WOW ,

I don’t have words to offer but only the understanding and loads of familiarity of tragedy.

Your here brother and as I have ready in your post of the Hurricane you have great compassion for others suffering and a good soft heart.

GOCANES

I think the major damage is actually the roof. That roof is going to have to be replaced as well as those solar panels. We’re talking 50,000 during regular times, and now with the post hurricane price inflation, which always happens, you might be looking at close to 100
Really depends on how bad the insurance adjuster wants to ***** you. I’m sure many of the smaller outfits are going to close up shop after this one.

If you have damage, it is best to get an independent adjuster than dealing with the insurance company yourself. They usually cost 10% of the amount you receive, but the more you receive, the more they get so they work on getting every last item that can be adjusted. Usually get enough money to fix the damages and pay them with nothing out of pocket. Most people have no idea what it takes to fix a house and what may not visually look bad but is. Windows is a big one. Windows may look good, but the bending and pressure will leak the gas out of dual pane and you can’t tell by just looking at them. After a year or two the start leaking and their energy efficiency is gone as well.

Advertisement
Andrew has NOTHING on what Ian has done in SWFl....Andrew ended up costing 56 billion $$$.....Ian when all is said and done, 120 billion....

Nonsense. Andrew was 30 years ago - can't compare damage straight up to today.

I lived through Andrew, and I'm currently living through the aftermath of Ian in Naples. I'm 4 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf and was probably 15-20 miles from the eye of Ian at it's closest point. We are certainly in the minority, but I never even lost power during this storm. Hurricane Irma in 2017 was actually worse on Naples and Everglades City than Ian.

Ft. Myers Beach and Sanibel may have been wrecked, but they are relatively narrow strips of land that got washed over. Most of the Ian damage is from storm surge and limited to within a mile of the water. Andrew damage was all wind, and cut a path of absolute destruction almost 20 miles wide.

Not trying to minimize how bad Ian was and how much damage was caused to those that caught the storm surge, but Andrew was a phucking monster in comparison.

Nonsense. Andrew was 30 years ago - can't compare damage straight up to today.

I lived through Andrew, and I'm currently living through the aftermath of Ian in Naples. I'm 4 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf and was probably 15-20 miles from the eye of Ian at it's closest point. We are certainly in the minority, but I never even lost power during this storm. Hurricane Irma in 2017 was actually worse on Naples and Everglades City than Ian.

Ft. Myers Beach and Sanibel may have been wrecked, but they are relatively narrow strips of land that got washed over. Most of the Ian damage is from storm surge and limited to within a mile of the water. Andrew damage was all wind, and cut a path of absolute destruction almost 20 miles wide.

Not trying to minimize how bad Ian was and how much damage was caused to those that caught the storm surge, but Andrew was a phucking monster in comparison.
No....Go chk out Cape Coral Iike I have...and Ft Myers beach...Andrew only effected Dade...Iived in Orlando in 92...and all we got was alittle rain. When all is said and done. Ian will cost twice as much as Andrew....you could fit Andrew or Charley into Ian's eye.

Really depends on how bad the insurance adjuster wants to ***** you. I’m sure many of the smaller outfits are going to close up shop after this one.

If you have damage, it is best to get an independent adjuster than dealing with the insurance company yourself. They usually cost 10% of the amount you receive, but the more you receive, the more they get so they work on getting every last item that can be adjusted. Usually get enough money to fix the damages and pay them with nothing out of pocket. Most people have no idea what it takes to fix a house and what may not visually look bad but is. Windows is a big one. Windows may look good, but the bending and pressure will leak the gas out of dual pane and you can’t tell by just looking at them. After a year or two the start leaking and their energy efficiency is gone as well.
One thing I highly recommend for Hurricane damage is get your own attorney specializing in hurricane damage with law firms adjuster.

After Irma insurance denied my roof and flooding , sued them once took 21/2 years to settle then hit them again for not negotiating in good faith won that also.

You need someone on your side you cannot do it ALONE .

Please heed my advice

GOCANES

Advertisement
...you could fit Andrew or Charley into Ian's eye.

Bigger doesn't mean stronger though. Tighter eye wall ='s stronger, Andrew had considerably less barometric pressure than Ian, and Andrew had plenty of time to build up steam off the coast of Africa. If Andrew hit Ft. Myers instead of Ian, Andrew's storm surge would've dwarfed Ian's.

Bigger doesn't mean stronger though. Tighter eye wall ='s stronger, Andrew had considerably less barometric pressure than Ian, and Andrew had plenty of time to build up steam off the coast of Africa. If Andrew hit Ft. Myers instead of Ian, Andrew's storm surge would've dwarfed Ian's.
A main issue is the flooding in a lot of places though. This was a product of such a huge storm moving at a snails pace. I was in drenching rain and horrible wind from 230pm to about 930pm and then tropical storm conditions until almost midnight. The thing just wouldn't ******* go away.

Each storm has their own characteristics and it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison when talking size, strength, duration, location.

Irma, Andrew, Michael, Charley, and Ian were all destructive in their own ways.

Cape Coral after Ian. All I see are houses still standing, with roofs in tact. https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#15/26.5603/-81.9942

ian-capecoral.png

Andrew looked like a 20 mile wide EF5 tornado went across the state between Pinecrest and Florida City. The National Guard wasn't just handing out cases of water - it was a war zone. If you took this picture of Naranja, Redlands, Florida City after Andrew, you would see nothing but piles of wood and rubble. I was there helping friends salvage belongings from their homes, volunteering at Homestead Air Base.

Ian was horrible, and anyone that had 6-12 feet of water in their home will tell you it was the worst storm in history. It was nothing compared to Andrew.

Cape Coral after Ian. All I see are houses still standing, with roofs in tact. https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#15/26.5603/-81.9942

View attachment 210425

Andrew looked like a 20 mile wide EF5 tornado went across the state between Pinecrest and Florida City. The National Guard wasn't just handing out cases of water - it was a war zone. If you took this picture of Naranja, Redlands, Florida City after Andrew, you would see nothing but piles of wood and rubble. I was there helping friends salvage belongings from their homes, volunteering at Homestead Air Base.

Ian was horrible, and anyone that had 6-12 feet of water in their home will tell you it was the worst storm in history. It was nothing compared to Andrew.
Lol...that's a SMALL part of Cape Coral...Stop it...Cape Coral is humongous...one of the largest cities (land wise) in Fl....I know the Cape like the back of my hand, having grown up there. Show the ENTIRE Cape...then Holler back...that area you are showing is nowhere near the Caloosahatchee River, which leads into the Gulf...that Skyline area is the least damaged in the entire Cape.....Cape Coral is the 2nd largest city in Florida...over 125 Sq miles....Google it...the city has 400 miles of navigable waterways...more than ANY other city on Earth....Ian was 5 times the size of Andrew.....Andrew had a diameter of 50 miles....Ian's diameter was 240 miles

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back