Hunchbacks @ Hurricanes Game 2 May 20th 7:00 p.m.

We will root for Florida, they will end up hosting, and then the committee will send Vanderbilt to us as the 2. And Mike Martin’s buddies will place FSU with high school teams
Ya, although they've done their typical crapping of the bed after beating us, w 3 straight losses and two of those walk-off HRs. So, they are becoming a long shot to host.

Advertisement
I’ve come around to @ewcanes argument that we’re good as far as hosting already. I also think a win still puts us in solid position a Top 8. This is why:
1 Tennessee Top 8
2 Oregon State Top 8
3 Vanderbilt No Below .500 in the SEC.
4 Maryland Top 8
5 Auburn Potential Top 8. 16-12 SEC
6 Virginia Tech Top 8
7 Georgia Southern No. Doesn’t lead a mid major conference
8 Stanford Top 8
9 Miami Potential Top 8
10 Dallas Baptist No. Barely above .500 in MVC
11 Louisville Potential Top 8
12 Notre Dame Potential Top 8
13 Virginia Potential Top 8?
14 Georgia No. Below .500 in SEC
15 Wake No. .500 in ACC
16 Florida No. Just above .500 in SEC

There are so many teams in the Top 16 with hideous resume flaws in the conference standings department. I don’t see UVA in the Top 8 over us given conference record gap (assuming we win tomorrow) and head to head. Tomorrow with ND is honestly probably a one game playoff for a Top 8 spot. I suppose I could see OK State (RPI 18) if they make a run in the Big 12 Tournament.

On a semi related note, is it crazy to think Florida could host a regional if they beat South Carolina to finish 16-14 in the SEC with a deep run in the SEC Tournament? FSU meanwhile has the same conference record as Florida with an RPI of 27 after losing a pair to UNC.
I spent too much time thinking about this last night and this morning, and I’m inclined to agree. I think winning today will almost assuredly lock us into a top 8 seed.

Therefore I am prepared for us to win and get a 9 seed.

I spent too much time thinking about this last night and this morning, and I’m inclined to agree. I think winning today will almost assuredly lock us into a top 8 seed.

Therefore I am prepared for us to win and get a 9 seed.
That’s why I prefer @ewcanes 90% framing for the reason @NC_Canes_11 gave, but first we need the minor miracle of actually winning today

I’ve come around to @ewcanes argument that we’re good as far as hosting already. I also think a win still puts us in solid position a Top 8. This is why:
1 Tennessee Top 8
2 Oregon State Top 8
3 Vanderbilt No Below .500 in the SEC.
4 Maryland Top 8
5 Auburn Potential Top 8. 16-12 SEC
6 Virginia Tech Top 8
7 Georgia Southern No. Doesn’t lead a mid major conference
8 Stanford Top 8
9 Miami Potential Top 8
10 Dallas Baptist No. Barely above .500 in MVC
11 Louisville Potential Top 8
12 Notre Dame Potential Top 8
13 Virginia Potential Top 8?
14 Georgia No. Below .500 in SEC
15 Wake No. .500 in ACC
16 Florida No. Just above .500 in SEC

There are so many teams in the Top 16 with hideous resume flaws in the conference standings department. I don’t see UVA in the Top 8 over us given conference record gap (assuming we win tomorrow) and head to head. Tomorrow with ND is honestly probably a one game playoff for a Top 8 spot. I suppose I could see OK State (RPI 18) if they make a run in the Big 12 Tournament.

On a semi related note, is it crazy to think Florida could host a regional if they beat South Carolina to finish 16-14 in the SEC with a deep run in the SEC Tournament? FSU meanwhile has the same conference record as Florida with an RPI of 27 after losing a pair to UNC.
Here's how I see it going into today:

Teams that will definitely be seeded higher than us if all hold serve today:

1. Tennessee
2. Oregon State
3. Virginia Tech
4. Maryland

Next 3 teams for seeding would be:

Miami
Stanford
Auburn

I don't see any ACC teams jumping us, even if one of them wins the conference tourney, the committee has said they see the tournaments as an extension of the regular season, not a replacement, so it can help, but shouldn't hurt another team's season performance.

As for the SEC, even if someone like Arkansas were to run through the tournament, I think they just replace Auburn in that spot.

So basically win today, and I think we're somewhere between 5-7 come selection day.

I hope everyone is right about win and we host. But I have zero faith of winning at the moment because of the bats. If you take Gutierrez out of the picture for the last 18 innings, we’d probably have about 2 hits, 0 runs and two dozen Ks.

Advertisement
Here's how I see it going into today:

Teams that will definitely be seeded higher than us if all hold serve today:

1. Tennessee
2. Oregon State
3. Virginia Tech
4. Maryland

Next 3 teams for seeding would be:

Miami
Stanford
Auburn

I don't see any ACC teams jumping us, even if one of them wins the conference tourney, the committee has said they see the tournaments as an extension of the regular season, not a replacement, so it can help, but shouldn't hurt another team's season performance.

As for the SEC, even if someone like Arkansas were to run through the tournament, I think they just replace Auburn in that spot.

So basically win today, and I think we're somewhere between 5-7 come selection day.
Fair to say Stanford locks themselves in today with a win? They’d have the PAC 12 regular season outright and a series win at Oregon State.

The PAC 12 having a conference tournament is so weird.

Fair to say Stanford locks themselves in today with a win? They’d have the PAC 12 regular season outright and a series win at Oregon State.

The PAC 12 having a conference tournament is so weird.
Yes, I think Stanford would be locked in, and that fills a west coast quota spot for the committee, might even be seeded higher than us, but I think we’d be sorta interchangeable for seeding purposes, and I think we’d be a step ahead of Auburn going into conference tourneys.

Which is why I think we’d be locked into 5-7, not likely to fall as far as 8.

Advertisement
Back