Hugh Freeze signs an extension

Hugh Freeze after signing an extension that raised his pay up to $3mill per by the year 2026, has now signed another deal that will make him one of the highest paid non P5 coaches at $4mill per year through 2028, with up to a $1million in incentives.

Scratch his name off the list of potential coaches for the many number of jobs that are & will be available for the upcoming offseason. (LSU, UF, VA Tech etc)

Smart move by him, it allows him to continue to build his resume at a program that fully supports him like Liberty & gives him the opportunity to essentially raise his stock where he can handpick the job he really wants when it comes open.

Most assume he’ll fall off once Malik Willis goes to the NFL, but he already has picked up high ranked 4-star QB Kaidon Salter from Cedar Hill TX, who originally signed with Tenn coming out of HS but was let out of his NLI when Pruitt got fired.

He stayed at Tennessee after Pruitt got let go. He got dismissed from the team bc he got arrested twice in the spring. I know it's not the most major detail regarding this, but still.

Advertisement
Totally, I don’t necessarily mean they’re leaving in the next few weeks. More so that they will undoubtedly eventually leave these teams when the right program comes calling.

I will say Freeze has been pretty underwhelming this year though. Malik Willis was a potential high round draft pick and has looked pretty awful in some games.

Regardless, totally agreed and wouldn’t be shocked if these guys stayed patient and waited for the right job to open.
They play a legit schedule for a G5 team. I believe they've been a dog in every L this year.

I'd hire Dan Mullen if I was VT. I think he would go there and win 8-10 games every season, Mike Elko would also be a good choice.
Mullen may spend a year in analyst rehab, because UF will essentially be paying his salary next year.

He had a $12million dollar buyout if he was fired without cause, unless UF is deciding to pay it all upfront, there’s a good chance he’ll get $6mill next year & $6mill in 2023, that’s basically what Texas did with Herman. They paid $24mill to get rid of him & they still owe him $13.5-15mill & have been paying him in yearly installments & not just one lump sum.

If Mullen really wants to go back to it right away VA Tech would be a good landing spot for him, but I think he’ll chill next year as an analyst for Bama or an analyst in the league or something.

Mullen may spend a year in analyst rehab, because UF will essentially be paying his salary next year.

He had a $12million dollar buyout if he was fired without cause, unless UF is deciding to pay it all upfront, there’s a good chance he’ll get $6mill next year & $6mill in 2023, that’s basically what Texas did with Herman. They paid $24mill to get rid of him & they still owe him $13.5-15mill & have been paying him in yearly installments & not just one lump sum.

If Mullen really wants to go back to it right away VA Tech would be a good landing spot for him, but I think he’ll chill next year as an analyst for Bama or an analyst in the league or something.
Mullen woule be fortunate to land at VT, but he doesn't recruit well enough for the job.

People don't give Frank the credit he deserves on evals. That ol fuddy duddy could spot talent.

Advertisement
VA Tech will go after:
- Shane Beamer (who I don’t think leaves after one year in South Carolina)

- Mike Houston; whose done a good job at ECU & very well at James Madison

- Jamey Chadwell; Done a terrific job at Coastal Carolina, is a Super Redneck to the 10th power lol & might fit in at Blacksburg VA which is close to the VA/Kentucky/Tennessee border where Jamey is from.

- Charles Huff; whose had a really good year 1 at Marshall & is from the DMV area, former Bama & Penn St RB’s coach who is a very good recruiter

- Sean Lewis; who’s a young guy that’s done a solid job turning Kent St around from being a really bad program to at the very least being competitive & is heralded as a very good offensive guru. He’s a Dino Babers disciple from Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green & was his OC at Cuse before he went to Kent.

- Bill O’Brien; He’s been a name mentioned by some of their writers but it’s unclear if he would even be interested. Most expect him to lobby for going back to the NFL, but who knows, maybe he prefers college.

- Dave Clawson; It’s also been said by some of the writers covering VA Tech that they’ll make a run at Clawson, but IMO while VA Tech definitely has more resources & better opportunity at recruits than Wake Forest, I don’t think that would be a smart move for Clawson. Maybe he’s intrigued by the pay raise he’d get & maybe he feels he’s taken Wake as far as they can go this season, but if I was his agent I’d advise him to use this job to get more money from WF or just not take the job at all. VA Tech is a ****** job tbh.

There’s also been mentions of making a run at high profile Coordinators like Tony Elliott, Mike Elko, Marcus Freeman & Brent Pry (who’s a Frank Beamer disciple). I would hope they would make a mistake like that, because I’ll tell you right now if VA Tech hires an experiment Coordinator/First time HC, they will be screwed for the next 4-5 years.
I don’t get the Mike Houston hype. Ever since he’s been at ECU they’ve been wildly inconsistent. I haven’t seen much growth. I know they’re already bowl eligible (finally), but they’ve won a couple of games, like the Marshall one, they had no business winning. Should be a 5 win team right now.

291BCF88-2AEE-4AD4-9495-DF0CBB700CF9.jpeg

Hugh Freeze after signing an extension that raised his pay up to $3mill per by the year 2026, has now signed another deal that will make him one of the highest paid non P5 coaches at $4mill per year through 2028, with up to a $1million in incentives.

Scratch his name off the list of potential coaches for the many number of jobs that are & will be available for the upcoming offseason. (LSU, UF, VA Tech etc)

Smart move by him, it allows him to continue to build his resume at a program that fully supports him like Liberty & gives him the opportunity to essentially raise his stock where he can handpick the job he really wants when it comes open.

Most assume he’ll fall off once Malik Willis goes to the NFL, but he already has picked up high ranked 4-star QB Kaidon Salter from Cedar Hill TX, who originally signed with Tenn coming out of HS but after getting kicked out off the team due to two arrest has landed on his feet at Liberty.

Liberty liberty libeertyyyyy liberty
200.gif

Advertisement

Not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere UF owes him the 12M weather he's a HC next season or unemployed. It's very possible he takes a year off but I think hes going to the NFL and will try to land a OC job, rumors were the Dolphins wanted him as OC last year, that job will likely be available again in 2022.

I don’t get the Mike Houston hype. Ever since he’s been at ECU they’ve been wildly inconsistent. I haven’t seen much growth. I know they’re already bowl eligible (finally), but they’ve won a couple of games, like the Marshall one, they had no business winning. Should be a 5 win team right now.
I don't see it either. You have to watch games to see the product, and his product is weird.

I’m personally not crazy about him, but he’s bought himself some consideration due to his tenures at The Citadel & James Madison & bringing ECU back to respectability.

He’s a name that gets mentioned because (just like at Miami when we go after Miami bro’s lol) he’s a guy that’s from the VA/North Carolina area & has had some lower level success.

He’s only had one good season at ECU, but it’s been a very difficult place to win at since they left the CUSA post the Skip Holtz era, so he’s getting some residual respect for that.

I don’t think he’s in serious consideration though, he’s more than likely a 4th or 5th place candidate if all their top choices turn them down lol.

Advertisement
I’m personally not crazy about him, but he’s bought himself some consideration due to his tenures at The Citadel & James Madison & bringing ECU back to respectability.

He’s a name that gets mentioned because (just like at Miami when we go after Miami bro’s lol) he’s a guy that’s from the VA/North Carolina area & has had some lower level success.

He’s only had one good season at ECU, but it’s been a very difficult place to win at since they left the CUSA post the Skip Holtz era, so he’s getting some residual respect for that.

I don’t think he’s in serious consideration though, he’s more than likely a 4th or 5th place candidate if all their top choices turn them down lol.
They should’ve never fired Ruff. Lincoln’s offensive success gave them the idea they could reach unachievable goals. I think the powers that be there, were the only ones who didn’t see that once he was gone, and they didn’t find a replacement just like him, they would never replicate that kind of success. Ruff paid the price for it and it’s been a disaster since.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but this isn't the thought process of an ambitious - "alpha" if you will - head coach. Good head coaches want to be the best, which is why so many leave "cushy" jobs to take higher and higher jobs that are high risk yet high reward.
I'm going to assume he's had his agent reach out to these Colleges with a Football HC vacancy and been knocked back.

He's still toxic in many circles.

Advertisement
I'm trying to think of colleges that could afford to/would pay $4 mil a year to a coach that I'd personally want to be at less than Liberty. Not too many are coming to mind. I mean even BYU is at least close to Salt Lake City and give me a Mormon over a Jerry Falwell Chreeeestian 9 times out of 10 too.

I'm going to assume he's had his agent reach out to these Colleges with a Football HC vacancy and been knocked back.

He's still toxic in many circles.

Yup.

The cheating was one thing, but to throw Houston Nutt under the bus was just slimy.

If He didn't throw Nutt under the bus nobody would've known about the hookers, and He would've probably had a P5 job today LOL.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back