HUGE news on the JUCO DT front

Dont mean to be a debbie downer, but FWIW, Bakas said a while back that he had run into a JUCO OL coach that had coached against Wyche once, and the guy said Wyche was "just ok", not a double team guy or someone that they felt was a huge impact player on the DL.

Not to say that he cant be solid here, but I dont think we should be setting up sky high expectations, especially if he cant be here for Spring ball. I suspect he's going to be more a Renfrow type guy for us.

Advertisement
Dont mean to be a debbie downer, but FWIW, Bakas said a while back that he had run into a JUCO OL coach that had coached against Wyche once, and the guy said Wyche was "just ok", not a double team guy or someone that they felt was a huge impact player on the DL.

Not to say that he cant be solid here, but I dont think we should be setting up sky high expectations, especially if he cant be here for Spring ball. I suspect he's going to be more a Renfrow type guy for us.

Because Bakas, a guy who almost never travels out of his 4000 person central florida town, ran into a Juco coach (there is no juco football in Florida btw), who SAYS he coached one game against Wyche, said he was just ok, we should take that as our lead evaluation? We should ignore that USC was all over him, had him committed, and kept fighting for him after Kiffin was gone? That Miami traveled across the US to get him?

I can't speak to his future here. But that evaluation means nothing to me.

Because Bakas, a guy who almost never travels out of his 4000 person central florida town, ran into a Juco coach (there is no juco football in Florida btw), who SAYS he coached one game against Wyche, said he was just ok, we should take that as our lead evaluation? We should ignore that USC was all over him, had him committed, and kept fighting for him after Kiffin was gone? That Miami traveled across the US to get him?

I can't speak to his future here. But that evaluation means nothing to me.

LOL, I wrote "FWIW", and most people that follow recruiting know enough about Bakas to take it however they will. I get the skepticism, and I take it all with a grain of salt, but the way I read it, it just had a legit feel about it. Think he said he had gone somewhere and just was introduced to the guy and he turned out to be a JUCO OL coach and he happed to ask him about Wyche. I mean if you are going to cook up a story, one would think it would be a **** of a lot better than that. Bakas didnt even really give any major evaluation, just said what the guy told him, and that was that Wyche was "ok" but not a dominant guy that they had to double team or really worried them when they game planned and saw film on him. It was one JUCO OL coache's opinion. It wasnt some article he wrote or anything, it was just an "aside" he mentioned in a thread. I took it for what its worth, but lets not kid ourselves either, he wasnt demolishing everything in his path in JUCO either. Kid has potential, and I think can be a solid contributor, but its not the first time Ive read tidbits of people being less than blown away by Wyche.

All Im saying is, lets temper the sky high expectations a bit, before this turns into another "Kid was the next Cortez Kennedy, and AG and MD totally ruined him".

Evaluations of JC DL are grain of salt kinds.

DTs, especially, are notoriously lazy on the field in HS and JC. Find me one DT with a high motor in HS and JC and it will be a rarity. I'm sure the guy takes plays off. The key thing I look at is that he's huge and exceptionally strong, as per reports. He's very thick legged. Motor, intensity, the polishing of the diamond, as it were, can be molded more once he steps foot on campus.

Advertisement

DTs, especially, are notoriously lazy on the field in HS and JC. Find me one DT with a high motor in HS and JC and it will be a rarity. I'm sure the guy takes plays off. The key thing I look at is that he's huge and exceptionally strong, as per reports. He's very thick legged. Motor, intensity, the polishing of the diamond, as it were, can be molded more once he steps foot on campus.

No doubt. And its all "grain of salt". Again, this wasnt even an evaluation, it was a "this is what this guy said", the guy just didnt feel like he was a "dominant" guy on the DL. Its also not the first time that Ive heard someone who wasnt exacty "blown away" by Wyche. I think all agree he has major potential, and is solid, but the expectations here I think have soared a bit over the top at times on the guy. People expect him because of his size to come in here and just dominate in the middle of the DL, and I dont know.

The expectations of TV, on the other hand, deserve to be high. This is a kid that by EVERY account, is going to make an impact, even as a true Frosh. He's just that good.

Wyche has the potential, but is also a few years in, needs to get in some better shape, and so far, hasnt totally blown away the competition.

Pete,

whats the deal on the Cerenord front?

sounds like we cooled on him after getting the JUCO commit...

With National Signing Day looming, 3-Star Defensive Tackle Edgar Cerenord has scheduled three official visits for the month of January.

According to a text from his brother Ricardo this morning, Edgar will take trips to Duke on the 17th, Purdue on the 24th and Tulane on the 31st.

That Duke visit will coincide with the football team's banquet, when they will be hosting a number of other commits in the Class of 2014.

The Blue Devils hope to build off the momentum of their successful season and finish this class with some high profile targets at positions of need. Check here for a full list:

Last edited:
Well East LA College's last day to register for spring/Winter session is Jan 8th.
www.elac.edu | academic calendar | Spring2014

An Wyche needs to enroll in Winter session if he wants to finish school in time to make to UM for May. Otherwise ELAC's spring semester doesn't finish until June. I am hoping the ACC makes an exception for this young man.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
good news finally.

Wyche- who knows but 2 to play 2 means his in contract years. JUCO evals are tough but hopefully the kid will see the opportunity in front of him and play to get paid. Amazing how that can affect a DL's motor

This kid doesn't need to be Cortez. **** can he at least be Mark Caesar! Kareem Brown? Please?

Advertisement
Pete,

whats the deal on the Cerenord front?

sounds like we cooled on him after getting the JUCO commit...

With National Signing Day looming, 3-Star Defensive Tackle Edgar Cerenord has scheduled three official visits for the month of January.

According to a text from his brother Ricardo this morning, Edgar will take trips to Duke on the 17th, Purdue on the 24th and Tulane on the 31st.

That Duke visit will coincide with the football team's banquet, when they will be hosting a number of other commits in the Class of 2014.

The Blue Devils hope to build off the momentum of their successful season and finish this class with some high profile targets at positions of need. Check here for a full list:

Maybe it's a numbers game at this point. I'm guessing if others say no at the lsat minute, Cerenoud could get an offer. my $0.02.

dalvin stuckey has a high motor.

I was just told that Michael Wyche will be here in May and Calvin Heurtelou is expected on campus in a week or two.

Also, Miami thinks there is still a chance they get Wyche in this month. He is willing to wait though.

Big pull.
Is it may so he can get that 3rd semester done?

Advertisement
I will take the scouting report of a Juco OL coach with as big a grain of salt as I will take a poster here.

That's one step up from Semi-Pro Player/Coach giving his eval..

I'll take the eval of Golden, Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach, etc...

Let the negative ****ers find a way to **** on this .

JUCO kids mean Golden doesn't care about long term. He's just patching holes until he takes both the PSU and Vandy jobs at the same time. he hates miami.

No.it means we don't have any talented upperclassmen. We need gap fillers until the incoming freshman can develop.Ag has to cover himself if he ends up staying.

Advertisement
Back