How will Feeley's program be modified for Spread/Tempo Offense (concurrent training dilemma)?

Advertisement
If it needs to be modified, we probably weren't doing the right thing in the first place. Speed, power and explosiveness should be at the core of football training. I could see trying to incorporate a little more cardio and sacrificing pure strength training for the offense (WR's and RB's, especially) given a limited amount of time, but really nothing should need to change.

That said, I've seen plenty of clips of the team training and never seen them using kettle bells, which are probably better for explosiveness than traditional weights.

Strength and conditioning. You don't have to sacrifice one to be good at the other.

You absolutely do with limited time. What are you gonna do, run gassers while squatting 250?

Kettle bells and weighted HIIT training will build strength and develop cardio at the same time, but you definitely won't get nearly as strong as you would lifting heavy with compound movements.

Advertisement
Question should be do we have the depth to run it all season long.anybody that's ever played the game understands that's a lot of wear and tear on a body.strength workouts should be the same.but the conditioning will have be ramped up a couple notches.

Why would we need to "ramp up" conditioning? The notion implies that we weren't conditioning as hard as we could be, which makes zero sense.

As for the depth, without even getting into wear and tear, more plays means more opportunity for injury. That's definitely a concern.

New regimen - **** a rabbit, make’m catch a frill neck lizard everyday.
1581749520074.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
The best way to build the stamina to run a high tempo offense is to consistently run practices at a high tempo. Defense will benefit as well. As many of you have already said, we've looked gassed in the 4th quarter lately. Pro style practices lead to pro style stamina. We are finally shaking this system.

My guess at to changes in training and recruiting for the new offense:

* fewer OL weighing more than 300 lbs. Need them to be ready for fast paced 80 snaps per game with much less time between plays. Also, want the OL to get upfield for blocks in the second level. Key for the run game. More guys will look like Zion than ND.

* RBs need to have the speed to get to the corner and the ability to catch passes. Good news for our incoming freshmen RBs. Maybe not so good for Cam, our presumed starting RB.

* need more speed at the WR position. Have we had a WR burner since Philip Dorsett? Can’t recall one. Also need “alpha” WRs who demand and deserve the ball...over and over. Lashlee will “feed” the WRs who want the ball. Got to have at least 2-3 of those guys. Don’t have an obvious candidate for this dominant role just yet.

*TEs got to be able to play inline and flex out. Versatility and speed needed here. We are in pretty good shape at this position.

Advertisement
Right. To be clear, I'm not saying there shouldn't be changes. To the contrary, I thought our team seemed gassed far too often in the 4th quarter last year. I'm just curious to know whether Manny has actually said that there would be changes.

I saw that too, and thought too much emphasis was put on strength. ****, a Sumo has strength - so does an oak tree.

I'd venture to guess that by design or by default - they're going to have to do lots more running. Lots more. For endurance - which will sacrifice some strength - but allow a substitution of power and endurance.

I've never seen a team out there winning a game by an outlifting overtime.

We need to be able to use power, speed, and endurance. Not strength, and more short muscle memory.

Gonna need a good balance. The avg football play is around 4 to 6 seconds, which is in the anaerobic energy systems wheelhouse. But doing it in a tempo offense he's gonna need to build their aerobic base to support it, over the course of a game. It's all about repeatability. If you don't have a robust vascular system you're not gonna be able to feed the system and clear the waste effectively, or the fourth quarters are gonna be Fugly. I'm sure he is well aware of this and will make the necessary adjustments. That doesn't mean these guys need to do only long slow endurance efforts (although it works). You can skin that cat from the other end of the spectrum, working and repeating at threshold. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back