How short is the leash?..

We have to be the most shell-shocked fanbase in the country after last year and the finish the year before. Did a lot of damage and rightfully so. Week 1 victory and being able to deal with a couple of bumps in the road should do us some good. It should also do wonders for the team's confidence.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Actually, it’s not gonna be a leash at all. I’m hearing that it’s gonna be one of those invisible electric fence things that zaps the dog when he tries to get out of the yard.

3Ov76c3meX4Na.gif

I don't remember saying anything about a QB being yanked after game 1...

I think I specifically said GAMES as in plural.
OK, I was not talking about what YOU said in particular, just posting a hypothetical. I quoted yours to get a discussion going, not to start a whizzing match. It's a different era now, and I think Kosar gets benched in 2019, whereas in 1983 leashes were longer.

If Tate isn't the starter (or loses the job) he should still get snaps in special packages. His intangibles are too important to the locker room to freeze him off the field and potentially create drama.
I don't mean to come across as attacking you, but this statement makes absolutely zero sense. While I am of course hopeful that Tate is the real deal and I'm quite bullish about him myself, if he isn't doing well in practice, is struggling to learn the offense, or doesn't have the trust of coaches for whatever reason, then no, he absolutely should NOT be inserted in special packages just because he was once a highly regarded recruit and some of our fans have a hard on for him. If he's good enough to play, he plays; if he's not, he doesn't. It's really that simple, and that applies to everyone including Tate.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't mean to come across as attacking you, but this statement makes absolutely zero sense. While I am of course hopeful that Tate is the real deal and I'm quite bullish about him myself, if he isn't doing well in practice, is struggling to learn the offense, or doesn't have the trust of coaches for whatever reason, then no, he absolutely should NOT be inserted in special packages just because he was once a highly regarded recruit and some of our fans have a hard on for him. If he's good enough to play, he plays; if he's not, he doesn't. It's really that simple, and that applies to everyone including Tate.

You don't think his running ability would be an asset as a gadget player who could also throw? He's way more talented than Taysom Hill. Be creative.

I don't think the question was about not being able to handle internal competition. There is a difference between real competition, and being made to feel that if you aren't perfect, you will be pulled. A QB needs to be able to play with confidence, and yes, he'll make some mistakes, but be allowed to make up for those mistakes. Having a very short leash, and yanking a QB at the first string of incompletions or the first INT isn't doing anyone a favor.

It's usually pretty obvious when a player should and should not be yanked. If you have multiple bad options - like the Canes last year - go with the guy that has the most long-term upside and stick with him.

This doesn’t make an sense.
Tate will be allowed to make mistakes and given time to correct them, like this spring. Itll always be "give him some time" when he messes up.

Perry or Williams cant afford to have a bad outing. Itll always be "they just dont have it. " when they mess up.

Not saying Manny will play favorites, but he'll turn the page on Perry and Jarren faster than he will on Tate.

Tate will be allowed to make mistakes and given time to correct them, like this spring. Itll always be "give him some time" when he messes up.

Perry or Williams cant afford to have a bad outing. Itll always be "they just dont have it. " when they mess up.

Not saying Manny will play favorites, but he'll turn the page on Perry and Jarren faster than he will on Tate.

if tate plays as poorly as he did in spring practices (from what weve heard and seen), then the leash should be as short as Perry and Williams. all 3 qbs are under new offenses and should given the same amount. we cant afford to let a QB learn from constant mistakes and potentially tank another season.

Advertisement
..for whomever wins the QB battle? My concern is we have a 'deer in headlights' mentality cause the QB is afraid to relax for fear of getting pulled. With a 3 man race this close, how will this impact whomever starts for us? Anyone who starts should have the confidence that they are not gonna get pulled after 1 pic, a loss, etc.. right? Playing 'not to lose' with these gunslingers isn't going to work.

go CANES!!
The phrase that I just bolded - yeah, that's why I've become increasingly confident that Tate will win the job. He doesn't back down and doesn't get washed over with stage fright, whereas, we have seen that with N'Kosi. Having said that, if Kosi has improved in that department and can bring us 11 wins, so be it. Just win, baby!

You don't think his running ability would be an asset as a gadget player who could also throw? He's way more talented than Taysom Hill. Be creative.
No, I would rather only have one QB on the field, the one who wins the competition and the staff trusts under center. We have a sh-t ton of skill players on offense. We don't need to get crazy gimmicky and run 2 QB sets.

The phrase that I just bolded - yeah, that's why I've become increasingly confident that Tate will win the job. He doesn't back down and doesn't get washed over with stage fright, whereas, we have seen that with N'Kosi. Having said that, if Kosi has improved in that department and can bring us 11 wins, so be it. Just win, baby!
There aren't too many QBs who would get stage fright in mop up duty vs Rutgers.

The starter would have to be Rosier-like awful to get yanked against the Gaytors. That is the last thing Diaz wants: some QB merry-go-round controversy in his first game as coach.

Expect a long leash.

Advertisement

he barely played in college. we dont know bout that same as williams. perry we saw last year

I’m not sure what you mean by “talented” but Taysom Hill is a far better athlete than Tate Martell.

Nonsense. Where do you guys come up with these asinine baseless statements of fact?

1st of all Taysom Hill can't throw. He had a 5.6 AY/A as a 26 year old Senior with 12-11 TD/INT ratio.

As for athleticism he posted unofficial 4.44 40, 38.5 vertical and 4.38 shuttle as a 26 year old. Tate Martell ran 4.72 with a 36.8" vert and 3.96 shuttle as a teenager. So yeah Tate is way more athletic. He's much more agile and more explosive with his acceleration and short-area burst. Hill is just a pure power runner with decent speed.

No, I would rather only have one QB on the field, the one who wins the competition and the staff trusts under center. We have a sh-t ton of skill players on offense. We don't need to get crazy gimmicky and run 2 QB sets.

It's not gimmicky to get your best athletes on the field. Ask Clemson or Louisville how effective the spread option can be with a dynamic running threat.

Advertisement
Nonsense. Where do you guys come up with these asinine baseless statements of fact?

1st of all Taysom Hill can't throw. He had a 5.6 AY/A as a 26 year old Senior with 12-11 TD/INT ratio.

As for athleticism he posted unofficial 4.44 40, 38.5 vertical and 4.38 shuttle as a 26 year old. Tate Martell ran 4.72 with a 36.8" vert and 3.96 shuttle as a teenager. So yeah Tate is way more athletic. He's much more agile and more explosive with his acceleration and short-area burst. Hill is just a pure power runner with decent speed.

It's not gimmicky to get your best athletes on the field. Ask Clemson or Louisville how effective the spread option can be with a dynamic running threat.
It's amazing, like these guys don't understand what they're seeing on film with Tate. The kid is a dangerous weapon. Spare me the but but Rutgers crap. Elite talent is elite talent. It's not like he just displayed it at OSU either. He was 43-0 and 2x national champion, Gatorade player of the year and another company sponsored offensive player of the year; all this at an elite high school and playing a top ranked national schedule.

You're painting it as if it has to be one extreme or the other: either one thinks Tate is the most athletic QB since Michael Vick, or else they think he is not athletic and talent-less. I would think the majority of people (sane people anyhow) don't fall into either extreme camp. I know I am one of those. I think Tate is a very talented kid and seems to have a ton of potential. But some of you speak about him as if he already has two college natties under his belt and a Heisman trophy at home. The reality is he hasn't had a chance to show much yet at the college level (either way, good or bad). Not his fault, but that's the reason people make the Rutgers reference. It isn't a criticism against him or made to say he stinks. Not at all. The point in bringing that up is simply to point out that we just don't know yet with Tate. We really don't have any way to know yet what he is capable of other than his accomplishments in high school. And we all know that success in HS doesn't just inherently mean they will be super successful in college.

Tate Martell may **** well be The Truth. I sure hope he is! But it seems like some people really need to pump the breaks on this **** near fanatical belief as to his talent and abilities. Only time will tell. So these comments about how even if he loses the QB competition we MUST find a way to still insert him on the field are just ridiculous. NOBODY KNOWS YET what Tate's capabilities are at this level. There's no sample size yet either way. Period. And the only people who will have even begun to have a grasp of that are the staff at the end of Fall camp. If he's as good as many already are convinced he is, and I'm sure all of us are hoping he is, he will see the field. It's really not any more complex than that.

It's amazing, like these guys don't understand what they're seeing on film with Tate. The kid is a dangerous weapon. Spare me the but but Rutgers crap. Elite talent is elite talent. It's not like he just displayed it at OSU either. He was 43-0 and 2x national champion, Gatorade player of the year and another company sponsored offensive player of the year; all this at an elite high school and playing a top ranked national schedule.

tbh, idc about his HS accomplishments 3 years ago. hes a talented kid, but hes gotta show it here. he hasnt and frankly, none of them have. right now, im worried about the QB situation but i trust Enos to find the one who can lead us or at least, as a stopgap till he gets his guys in here (TVD, 2021).

The athleticism and intangibles speak for themselves. How good of a pocket passer is he remains the question. He has to trust the progressions and make the throws. He has some gambler qualities to his pocket movement and decision making like Perry. Those have to be reined in to an extent.

Advertisement
Back