How short is the leash?..

First game is tough, they will most likely roll with safest bet then open up competition for month so if it doent work out, games after UF will probably give guys more of a chance to really settle job.
I agree with this. The UF game with determine if the start is going to stay the starter. I expect whoever is the QB will not get pulled in this game if they suck. But best believe the next couple game multiple QBs will get there shot to take the job.

Advertisement
Boils down to mental errors, keeping making them and it's bye bye.

I think it's going to be about this, too. Make good decisions and you'll stay. It won't matter what your arm strength is. It's about being able to process what you see and making the smart decision to keep the ball from harm's way.

Everyone on offense is in the same position; guys have to know what to do and be where they are supposed to be.

If Tate isn't the starter (or loses the job) he should still get snaps in special packages. His intangibles are too important to the locker room to freeze him off the field and potentially create drama.

As for OP's question if you can't mentally handle the responsibility of being a QB at Miami then you don't deserve to start. Internal competition is one of the things that made Miami a powerhouse program.

Advertisement
Depends who's holding it.

The coaches? They'll probably give the starter a good half of football plus a few series.

The posters on the Gameday Board? They'll have the kid benched after the first play, even if it's a handoff.
Exactly. Hope the coaches aren't like so many of the fanboys here. No matter which one starts, if he doesn't look amazing right off the bat, there will be the opposing fanboys saying that "their" QB should be the one in there.

If Tate isn't the starter (or loses the job) he should still get snaps in special packages. His intangibles are too important to the locker room to freeze him off the field and potentially create drama.

As for OP's question if you can't mentally handle the responsibility of being a QB at Miami then you don't deserve to start. Internal competition is one of the things that made Miami a powerhouse program.
I don't think the question was about not being able to handle internal competition. There is a difference between real competition, and being made to feel that if you aren't perfect, you will be pulled. A QB needs to be able to play with confidence, and yes, he'll make some mistakes, but be allowed to make up for those mistakes. Having a very short leash, and yanking a QB at the first string of incompletions or the first INT isn't doing anyone a favor.

I think they know who is leading and will tailor/game plan for that QB. Same if it happens to be a different one, Enos isn't Richt. I don't see him playing QB roulette.

I agree, I think they know already who the starter is, but are not saying to keep them on their toes and battling.

Advertisement
I can't help but think back to 1983. We got beaten by UF, and people were questioning Howard going with Bernie. I wonder if Bernie would be yanked these days after losing game one.
I'm not sure what 36 years ago has to do with right now but...

The leash aint shorter or longer than normal. They’ll pick a starter. If he stumbles, they’ll try someone else.

Advertisement
Man I wish you could just combine Martells mindset and attitude with Kosi’s arm talent or Williams form... then it would be a wrap. But I think Martells fight in him wins it

Advertisement
It has nothing to do with today, it was just a thought. How different would 1983 had been if Bernie got yanked after game one? Not trying to start a fight, just thinking out loud.
I don't remember saying anything about a QB being yanked after game 1...

I think I specifically said GAMES as in plural.

It comes down to what Coach Diaz is saying silently. The one who stays lowkey and conducts his self the way a quarterback does will be the guy! William's and Perry has been suspended in the past so they both has some flaw. But the thing now is who are the offensive players responding to while no coaches are around. Your strength coach is the head coach as of right now, so when he has to report to Coach Diaz what he has been seeing we will have our Qb. Not a rocket scientist but Martell seems like the one!

There may not be a leash per se, but Enos would probably be like...

tenor.gif

Advertisement
Back