How much can we actually pay a coach & staff?

Advertisement
MIAMI CAN PAY AS MUCH OR MORE THAN ANY SCHOOL FOR A QUALITY COACH.

1. TALENT WINS....NO BETTER TALENT POOL THAN SOUTH FLORIDA

2. THE []_[] IS A BRAND......THE RIGHT COACHING HIRE CREATES AN IMMEDIATE SURGE IN REVENUE, WHICH COVERS SALARIES +.

3. UM HAS PLENTY OF MONEY.

I believe Howard got about the biggest contract in ncaa when he was hired. If was not a slim deal at all. School as a lot more money now than then. Money might be a problem because they make bone headed extensions about the same time they should fire a coach -- only to fire them shortly thereafter. They always seem to be paying a couple coaches.

I thought Coley got over 500K when he signed on and you know Al isn't paying his beloved less than that. The is 1 million for staff right there. Everyone else is probably getting peanuts. Still Butch would come cheap and leave plenty on the table to hire the next bunch of future NFL HC to coach up the next bunch of 1st round draft picks.

One private school on that list FWIW

Private schools don't need to divulge complete salaries.

So Al Golden might make 2.25M a year in base salary.

And another 200k for win bonuses.

And another 150k for graduation rate.

And another few grand for various camps and endorsements.

Nobody knows how much this dude makes but its definitely competitive.

Advertisement
I believe Howard got about the biggest contract in ncaa when he was hired. If was not a slim deal at all. School as a lot more money now than then. Money might be a problem because they make bone headed extensions about the same time they should fire a coach -- only to fire them shortly thereafter. They always seem to be paying a couple coaches.

I thought Coley got over 500K when he signed on and you know Al isn't paying his beloved less than that. The is 1 million for staff right there. Everyone else is probably getting peanuts. Still Butch would come cheap and leave plenty on the table to hire the next bunch of future NFL HC to coach up the next bunch of 1st round draft picks.

I'm gonna call BS on the first part of your post, at the very least.

According to this article, Howard reportedly made about 85k when he originally signed on to be HC in 1979. UM upped his salary to around 150k after the 1981 season. At that time, he interviewed for and was offered the HC job at Kentucky for 200k, but turned it down for less money at UM. So even back then, our top offer was 25% less than what a mid-range SEC school was willing to pay.

According to this article, Howard reportedly made about 85k when he originally signed on to be HC in 1979. UM upped his salary to around 150k after the 1981 season. At that time, he interviewed for and was offered the HC job at Kentucky for 200k, but turned it down for less money at UM. So even back then, our top offer was 25% less than what a mid-range SEC school was willing to pay.

Point taken, but note, Howard was under contract at the time and you are talking about a contract extension. You pay more to steal an coach than to keep one with extension usually. A 100% increase is not chopped liver. They paid to play that time. When Howard signed initially, 85K was not small money either. I actually represented some coaches and pro players back then, and Howard first deal was not a basement bargain deal like some we have seen of late and even before. For Miami it was last gasp all out effort and Howard was indeed a top shelf coach at the time.

Point taken, but note, Howard was under contract at the time and you are talking about a contract extension. You pay more to steal an coach than to keep one with extension usually. A 100% increase is not chopped liver. They paid to play that time. When Howard signed initially, 85K was not small money either. I actually represented some coaches and pro players back then, and Howard first deal was not a basement bargain deal like some we have seen of late and even before. For Miami it was last gasp all out effort and Howard was indeed a top shelf coach at the time.

I'm not saying it was small money. I'm saying that 85k surely wasn't "the biggest contact in the NCAA when he was hired." It was likely a competitive salary, similar to what we're paying Golden. Point being that we haven't changed our strategy--we've never hired someone at a top-tier salary (~4-5 million in today's dollars, let's say). We have always hired at a competitive (but not top-tier) range and then raised salaries based on performance. Guys like JJ, Erickson, Coker...they were all hired at a moderate rate and then, as they won, their salary rose to among the top in the country.

Shannon's deal was the outlier, because he came cheap. We can all look back with 20/20 vision and say it was a bad hire, and that "we got what we paid for." But truth is that it was a logical move at the time. He'd been a player or coach for 4 out of our 5 championships, had learned from some of the best coaches in CFB, had won a Broyles award, his defenses were always stacked with talent and played well. In short, he was as qualified for the job as any of the recent hires across CFB who've made the leap from DC or OC to HC. And his love of UM meant that we could low-ball him and get him on the cheap. Didn't work out as well as planned, but that happens sometimes.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I'm not saying it was small money. I'm saying that 85k surely wasn't "the biggest contact in the NCAA when he was hired." It was likely a competitive salary, similar to what we're paying Golden. Point being that we haven't changed our strategy--we've never hired someone at a top-tier salary (~4-5 million in today's dollars, let's say). We have always hired at a competitive (but not top-tier) range and then raised salaries based on performance. Guys like JJ, Erickson, Coker...they were all hired at a moderate rate and then, as they won, their salary rose to among the top in the country.

Get the quote right. I said "about the biggest contract". The initial issue was what can THE U afford. Howard had been places Al only sees on TV. His first contract quite large for its day and much more than what Miami had paid and relatively more than is has paid since. College football $$$ exploded since Howard and most because of him, JJ and ole St Bobby making college football exciting again -- and the OU, UGA case against ncaa of course.

My point is the when it HAD to, Miami could and did pay up for a real fricking coach. Now its football $$$ is guaranteed and doesn't feel the need to. Let a letter show up from ACC warning the BOT to live up to obligations of get "Templed" out of ACC and watch the dollars roll. But for the next hire, I am hoping they stay cheap and hire Butch back. Then at least him or the next coach will have several NFL teams worth of players.

I get it about paying people. But Golden and staff are making more than any staff at Miami and look how that's working out. As much to do with who you pay as how much. The Miami job is unique in a lot of ways. Not just anyone can do it and you can't just throw money at it.

Throw some at Butch.

Throw him some more for top coordinators, and we'll start waxing Saban's *** every year.

Whatever he bdavis01.jpg asks for

One private school on that list FWIW

Private schools don't need to divulge complete salaries.

So Al Golden might make 2.25M a year in base salary.

And another 200k for win bonuses.

And another 150k for graduation rate.

And another few grand for various camps and endorsements.

Nobody knows how much this dude makes but its definitely competitive.

From June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2014 (UM's fiscal year), Golden was paid $2,504,338, with another $34,977 worth of other compensation (club dues, etc.).

It's a safe bet that Golden was paid $2.7 million (perhaps a little more) for 6/1/14-5/31/15, but I do not have specific info on that right now.

He may very well make around $3 million for 6/1/15-5/31/16.

Last edited:
Advertisement
UM has grossly overpaid its last 3 HCs and hasn't hesitated to give them undeserved lucrative extensions. They've merely chosen the wrong HCs.

You can have all the money in the world, but if you pick the wrong guy that money won't do **** for you. Huge money programs like Bama (check all the losers they hired between Bear and Saban with the exception of Stallings), LSU, Michigan, UF, Notre Dame and many others have struggled for decades at a time when they hire the wrong guys.

UM can pay whatever anyone else pays. They just need to make a good choice.

We should offer Pinkel exactly what he is making now and get him to come. He's never going to win a title at Mizzou. Much easier path at Miami, better recruiting base, and he would probably rather live in Miami.

Only knock on him is he is in his 60s and he's been at Missouri for a while so he might just finish his career out there rather than take on another program. 60s wouldn't be an issue if we were in a better state as a program, already built and ready to win but we just aren't.

Advertisement

Probably wouldn't even ask for anything. Just wants to coach the U again. Any compensation is a bonus to him right now. He would literally come here for less than a million if we asked him to.

But I would realistically say he would have a salary here around 1.5 to 2 million with bonuses. For the money you would have to pay him=best coach on the market (one of them regardless of salary)

Probably wouldn't even ask for anything. Just wants to coach the U again. Any compensation is a bonus to him right now. He would literally come here for less than a million if we asked him to.

But I would realistically say he would have a salary here around 1.5 to 2 million with bonuses. For the money you would have to pay him=best coach on the market (one of them regardless of salary)

The only money he would care about is getting enough for him to have a good staff. He'd coach for free if he had to.

OK, I'm on the "just hire Butch" bandwagon. Most of the names being tossed around make me vomit a little.

BBB

Advertisement
Back