How much can we actually pay a coach & staff?

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
This isn't some thread that lets our administration off the hook. **** that.

I'm actually curious as to revenue streams and the feasibility of making a huge offer to a coach.

Here's a snapshot of what the top 20 highest paid coaches made last year (full list provided in link below):

15nvi2b.jpg

NCAAF | Coaches | Salaries | USA TODAY Sports

Can we pay a coach $5 million and have a $4 million staff? I get eleventy billion fundraising emails from Miami. Can they start a **** campaign for this?

Advertisement
A few months ago, an influential BOT member told me "we could afford to pay Nick Saban, whether we choose to is another thing." FWIW

Advertisement
my guess is the next coaches salary is going to be adjusted competitively to about 2.7m -3.6 m per

When you add our adidas money with ticket sales , concessions, licensing , television , contributions , novelty sales , parking , advertisement , sponsorship money etc
We could comfortably pay anyone 4-5 million ...but thats more a matter of will they over are they .
Paying someone 5 million would however put you in a position to have to shell out another 1.5 million collectively to the entire coaching staff over their current salary . As the coach would be rendered useless without access to premier position coaches and coordinators to choose from.

I get it about paying people. But Golden and staff are making more than any staff at Miami and look how that's working out. As much to do with who you pay as how much. The Miami job is unique in a lot of ways. Not just anyone can do it and you can't just throw money at it.

Advertisement
It's not about how much the University can pay a coach. The key is finding the right guy. Whether he costs $2 million or $10 million means nothing if he's not the guy who can bring us back to the top. Clearly the last 3 decisions have been terrible so let's hope the next decision is the right one.

I didn't realize MSU paid coaches so much. #2 on the list - wow!

Spurrier would be an upgrade for sure over our past 3 coaches. But he isn't coming, I don't think we'd take him and I'm sure that retirement and golf are on his mind more than going south to Miami.

Butch Davis wouldn't cost a lot, but would bring a whole lot of value to the program. I don't think it'll actually happen, but if it were to happen, it would be a great 5-7 years in addition to whoever his on-staff successor would be...

Advertisement
Couple of those coaches are stealing money!

I hope TCU gets left out of the playoffs again and he realizes that he needs to go to a school like Miami to get in. Then Miami realizes the benefits of paying Gary Patterson!

Advertisement

I hope TCU gets left out of the playoffs again and he realizes that he needs to go to a school like Miami to get in. Then Miami realizes the benefits of paying Gary Patterson!

In 2015, TCU is a BETTER job than Miami.

There was talk of an undefeated FSU team not being worthy of the playoffs, even though they were the defending champion. That was based on the perceived weakness of the ACC.

And objectively ... Most folks view the Big 12 as being better than the ACC.

Or, at least, their "Big 3" is better than ours.

Would you rather have FSU, Clemson, and Louisville; Or TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma?

In 2015, TCU is a BETTER job than Miami.

There was talk of an undefeated FSU team not being worthy of the playoffs, even though they were the defending champion. That was based on the perceived weakness of the ACC.

And objectively ... Most folks view the Big 12 as being better than the ACC.

Or, at least, their "Big 3" is better than ours.

Would you rather have FSU, Clemson, and Louisville; Or TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma?

TCU is a better job today, but IF Miami paid Patterson then Miami would be a better job in 2 years. NO question.

Patterson has had 9 10+ win seasons at TCU since 2002 and has never played for a national championship. Last year he got left out of the playoffs and had arguably the best team.

WHEN Miami gets great again it wont matter how good the ACC is, much like it didn't matter how weak the BIG EAST was.

This isn't some thread that lets our administration off the hook. **** that.

I'm actually curious as to revenue streams and the feasibility of making a huge offer to a coach.

Here's a snapshot of what the top 20 highest paid coaches made last year (full list provided in link below):

15nvi2b.jpg

NCAAF | Coaches | Salaries | USA TODAY Sports

Can we pay a coach $5 million and have a $4 million staff? I get eleventy billion fundraising emails from Miami. Can they start a **** campaign for this?

Hopefully more than 4,008,150

Advertisement
Back