How much better will the offense be this year?

Enos may have been selected by Saban, but that doesn't make him a magician. I fully believe we will see last years team take the field with moderate improvements during the year. Just because fans WANT to double last years production, doesn't mean it will happen. I know people act like Richt could not have been a worse OC, but the 2019 season is about to show us exactly how he was.
This is where I am as well. I dont see an astronomical improvement happening, and that's fine. If we punt better, cut down on the 3 and outs -- the little things -- we wont necessarily need to double the offensive production.

Baby steps.

Advertisement
The good news is, the offense needs only to be decent for us to have a good shot at an undefeated regular season. I mean, if they break the top 50, we'll be on easy street.

I don't think offensive line is/was as big of a problem as others do. They were certainly not an A+ unit and they did struggle in pass protection but you don't average 190+ yards per game on the ground if your guys can't block. That's with defenses not respecting the pass at all. The three biggest areas for improvement have to be:

1. More variety and unpredictability in play calling. The fact that Richt literally ran like 4 different passing plays killed the entire offense. By mid season, every opponent knew what play was coming depending on down and distance. DBs knew the route combos and would literally bracket their coverage to make throws near impossible, especially on 2nd or 3rd and long.

2. Improved QB play. Fixing #1 will probably make the QBs instantly look better than last year. The fact that we have a real, no nonsense QB coach and a hungry group in a heavy competition with each other helps big time. Nobody has to be Kyler Murray but somebody has to be consistent and not turn the ball over.

3. WRs need to catch the friggin' ball. Nobody has to be Randy Moss, outjumping defenders and pulling the ball out of their hands. They have to actually catch balls that hit them in the hands though. I don't think I've ever seen a WR unit drop as many passes as Miami's did last year. Nothing quite kills a drive like a perfectly thrown 15 yard pass that hits the receiver in the hands and falls to the floor. Especially when the offense is struggling and the QBs have low confidence. I started counting the dropped passes after about week 4 and they were averaging over 5 a game. Over the course of the season you're talking about at least 70 passes that would have been completions but were dropped. Honestly, Stubblefield needs to identify his most consistent guys and tighten the rotation. You drop passes, you don't play.

Good play-calling and a dual-threat QB should mitigate some our OL's faults, I expect there to be some growing pains as we adjust to the motions and shifts Enos likes to use but I fully expect to see a much improved offensive unit. The defenses not knowing our plays should account for a huge improvement right away.

Enos has said it himself, he's going to play to the offense's strengths. We're going to see multiple TE sets constantly, we're going to get the ball in our speedy receivers hands quickly, and we've got a stable of RB's that will be kept fresh all game long. Enos is the definition of flexible when it comes to scheme, he will find out what works and once he does we'll be running the coastal.

Advertisement
Our QBs are unproven. Our oline probably won't be that good. And we're implementing a brand new offense. With that in mind, top 40 is a realistic goal and would result in at least 2-3 more W's imo.

It's a young team overall and especially on offense. Irvin and Brown have been here since 2016. Everyone else arrived since 2017. Just 4 starters return from 2018, and two of those were true freshmen. They'll struggle sustaining drives but will hit on a lot of explosive plays.

When's the last time we had play calls specifically designed for short yardage plays like this one?

When's the last time you saw a receiver running towards every spot on the field like on this play?

We're winning the Super Bowl, people.

Advertisement
Bill Connelly had our projected Offensive S/P+ in the 60s for this season, so I'm mentally using that as Enos baseline.

We're going to be significantly better. Decent QB play alone last year would've gotten us to 9-3/10-2 easy. For the first time in years, we're going to be running a modern scheme with some very talented skill players. I think we're going to be a top-40 offense at the least, and with a top-15 defense, we can be a very dangerous team.

Advertisement
What game did we use the triple option?

It was one of the last three games. Believe Pitt. 95% sure, but could have been vt or Wisconsin.

It was a 2 back shotgun set. Ibelive 3 wide, 20 personnel. It was a dive to one back and option out with the pitch man. I believe the qb pitched and it didn’t go for much.

I was happy to see it because I thought it was a good play to mix it up with our predictability, but was disappointed we waited so long to try things like that with our qb struggles.

I will go back and try to find it. I know it’s there because I had literally been telling guys on another site that those were things we should try with Malik’s accuracy issues and thought it’s about time when we ran it.

Of course, Richt abondoned it like he has done many other plays that would help the offense.

3. WRs need to catch the friggin' ball.

And this includes Jeff Thomas. If he wants to avoid his name being added onto the endless list that is Miami players being drafted after day 2 he needs to step up big time this year. Right now all he has going for him is potential and nothing else.

Immediate Improvements.

1. Players emulate and reflect the approach of the coaches - especially the Head Coach - so we'll see more energy, more determination, more focus, and more fight.

2. Richt was tired. And so very structured. When other QB's did things Richt's way - but were unsuccessful on the field - that was OK with him - but even when Williams was able to make great plays in scrimmages, practice etc., - to the wrong receiver - on the other side of the field - Williams couldn't be trusted as he didn't do Richt's absolute progressons. We shouldn't have had to abandon Richt's progressions to have success - nor be forced to lose by following Richt's progressions. No more.

3. Our OLine was NOT the reason for our failures. Yes, they could have been much better, but play calling largely led to their frustrations. Our runs were telegraphed - and opponents would Tee Up.

4. Everyone on offense knew that even if every player busted his *** on this one play, and did his job - our QB wasn't going to hit our receivers - except on rare occasion. Red Hot or Dead Cold. One or the other - usually on desperation plays. No more.

5. Defense wasn't just required to defend - they also had to take on the job of winning games in the absence of our **** poor offensive scheme and execution. No more. Our offense should be able to sustain some drives. Even two or three more per game will put lots of wins on our column.

6. We couldn't make offensive adjustments to save our lives. No more. Every element of offense and defense has a dedicated coach - no more Division Commander also acting as Company Commander.

7. We had coaches that had a past with the Head Coach - and our current Head Coach showed clearly that past relations alone will not be good enough to keep your job. When he fired the offensive staff - oh, he knew them - but they weren't getting it done.

I sincerely think we have a much better than 50/50 chance of beating Florida. They have no idea of what to prepare for. I don't either. But I do know we won't see the same, flat, lifeless, repetitive, sh**show we saw last year. We're going to see fire in these players.

Manny's on a mission.

And he's making it the team's mission as well.

Advertisement
3. Our OLine was NOT the reason for our failures. Yes, they could have been much better, but play calling largely led to their frustrations. Our runs were telegraphed - and opponents would Tee Up.

This is so true, but many on here is so ready to say they were that bad and expect a similar product this year. It doesn't matter how good you are, if I'm able to predict your next move....I WILL counter it.

I'm not a troll. I've been on 247 sports & Scout for more than a decade. Your moderators should be able to view my ip and confirm that what I say is true.

I participate in an annual college football pool and I am considering taking Miami with one of my picks. I figured you guys would be able to provide feedback on the chances for your program this season.

This forum has real issues when discussion of your football team is considered "trolling".
I can confirm that your IP does not match DRev’s.

Advertisement
Back