How many more canes going into the HOF?

Tom Steyer on MSNBC: "I think if you look at last night, the one thing that I think everybody now knows is that Joe Biden had a really bad night last night. And that means that it’s wide open."

Advertisement
isnt man of the year based on stuff off the field and hes an absolute beast of a player, but dont think hes HOF lock. same with andre johnson and wilfork (tho i think the rings will push wilfork in)
Nfl cares about off the field stuff. Look at TO

No fault of his own but does Hester get in with the lack of production. I mean we all know he was one of the most sick return men ever but that also may hurt him. He was so good they literally just stopped kicking to him. I wonder how many kickoffs he was unable to return because the other team tried there very best to keep it from him. How many other players had the other team and even the other fans standing up for a kickoff just wanting to see Hester return the ball.

Has Gore retired yet? When he does I think he gets in fairly easy even if he is against AP. AP faded over time and off field could delay the reward, but Frank has just kept on making news, good news. You can't leave top five yardage RB out on subjective ranking of dominant( I agree they were but numbers be numbers.) That said AP surely gets in too.

Gore and AP both deserve enshrinement in HOF, and both get in eventually.

My point was, and I am repeating a comment heard on one of the sports radio shows (FWIW), has Gore ever been the best RB in the league or at least Top three? The commentator compared Gore to Curtis Martin, who was never the best but just kept running, running, and running to the HOF. Whereas AP was the best RB in the league (or top 3) almost every season at Minnesota.

Advertisement

My point was, and I am repeating a comment heard on one of the sports radio shows (FWIW), has Gore ever been the best RB in the league or at least Top three? The commentator compared Gore to Curtis Martin, who was never the best but just kept running, running, and running to the HOF. Whereas AP was the best RB in the league (or top 3) almost every season at Minnesota.
Martin is good comparison. Keep running and running is talent all onto itself. Had Frank not wrecked his knee a couple times, he might have been both types. As it was, I think he lead the league in rushing a couple times but not sure.

Martin is good comparison. Keep running and running is talent all onto itself. Had Frank not wrecked his knee a couple times, he might have been both types. As it was, I think he lead the league in rushing a couple times but not sure.

Gore lead the NFC in 2006, but never led the NFL.

HOF, no doubt.

And Gore was a unique RB, at least to me. He didn't easily remind me of any other back.

Career awards and highlights
NFL records
  • Most seasons with 1,200 yards from scrimmage (12)[212]
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 500 yards rushing (15)[213]
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 600 yards rushing (14)[214]
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 700 yards rushing (13) (tied with Emmitt Smith)[215]

Hester just made the NFL 100 players of all time. He’s going to be the 1st. He literally changed the kicking game. If the rules remained the same regarding kick offs, D Hest would have at least 6 more return TDs. If the Pro Bowl didn’t get rid of the ST position for those yrs, he would have at least 3 more PB nods on his resume.

I think he’s a lock.

Lock for sure. He had such an impact

Advertisement

Curtis Martin the fans acted like he was some what lucky to be voted in the hall of fame, which was just stupid. Curtis Martin was what used to be the featured running back for the Jets; He used to be known for his speed until he was the go to player on offense on - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down.

Frank Gore also suffered two - ACL injuries to the same knee. He used to be more of the current day "Third down back" but he could stay on the field all three downs; Or at least, after he put more time in the weight room to become better at pass protection & receiving was always natural with him.. They both were some of the best ever at knowing how to turn most punishing blows into a cleaner hit - Which is a talent in itself considering the amount of touches both had.

Adrian Peterson was thought to be NFL ready right after his senior year in high school; I believe he had the same combine test results his first or second year in Oklahoma's weight & conditioning. He suffered too much wear & tear during his freshman year at Oklahoma, but he had the talent to be the top name on the NFL rushing yards list.

Curtis Martin the fans acted like he was some what lucky to be voted in the hall of fame, which was just stupid. Curtis Martin was what used to be the featured running back for the Jets; He used to be known for his speed until he was the go to player on offense on - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down.

Frank Gore also suffered two - ACL injuries to the same knee. He used to be more of the current day "Third down back" but he could stay on the field all three downs; Or at least, after he put more time in the weight room to become better at pass protection & receiving was always natural with him.. They both were some of the best ever at knowing how to turn most punishing blows into a cleaner hit - Which is a talent in itself considering the amount of touches both had.

Adrian Peterson was thought to be NFL ready right after his senior year in high school; I believe he had the same combine test results his first or second year in Oklahoma's weight & conditioning. He suffered too much wear & tear during his freshman year at Oklahoma, but he had the talent to be the top name on the NFL rushing yards list.

Gore is 3rd, Peterson 5th in all-time career rushing yards. Not too bad.

FB_IMG_1579070603328.jpg

I didn't realize Jimmy had that many TDs being traded away from Brees and off the indoor turf plus the catastrophic knee injury in Seattle changed his career trajectory for the HOF he was on his way though at one point

I believe Hester will be the first special teams guy ever too, it's hard to argue with the best of all time at your position not being in the hall plus he played for a historic franchise Bears who have the most hall of famers of any team, he'll have plenty of important people lobbying for him when the time comes not first ballot though.

Advertisement
I believe Hester will be the first special teams guy ever too, it's hard to argue with the best of all time at your position not being in the hall plus he played for a historic franchise Bears who have the most hall of famers of any team, he'll have plenty of important people lobbying for him when the time comes not first ballot though.
If Adam Vinatieri had the media aka, paparazzi regurgitating he might be a hall of fame "Kicker" then, yes; Even though the patriots coaches, defense, and the offense were just the best at "Game Management."

Devin Hester should be in the hall of fame. He was always better playing wide receiver, but was drafted as a defensive back by the Bears. That whole coaching staff was behind the times like the Jets when they signed Tim Tebow. Hester for being forced into kickoff & punt returns, he was still the best playmaker; Plus he showed his hands were better then the tight ends/wide receivers were on the super bowl team verses the Colts.

Tim was good enough to be in more wildcat formations almost every other team stopped using the wildcat. They always lined him up as a running back or situations that never mattered, when he showed with the Broncos he was more than capable than Mark Sanchez ever proved.

Advertisement
Alot of aging canes - is there anyone 5 years or less in the league that could potentially keep our streak of hall fame players moving?

Advertisement
Back