How many "Fans"

Advertisement
Another long rant from the guy who would argue with a doorknob.

Remind us again how the #1 solution is to get more scholarships from the NCAA.

Who said that is the "#1 solution"? There are multiple issues, and THAT ONE doesn't go away by "grinding" or "working harder", which are just your empty platitudes for what Miami needs to do.

Yeah, if 3 guys on salary just worked 120 hours every week, everything would be great...

NCAA head-count scholarships are something that the entire sport (and all equivalency sports) should be pursuing, not just Miami.

JD's gonna send all you guys a hand-written note of thanks for defending him on a message board! You guys truly are THE best fans...I mean, better than any of us who ever doubt anything or see anything realistically in context. I mean...you're just soooooo much better than the rest of us, really. Great work guys!!!!

You Got It Ok GIF

/sarcasm

I'm on the record as being against the hiring of JD Arteaga. Unlike some, I'm not going to predict immediate disaster, I just don't think it was the right call AT ALL.

I was at UM Law when we hired Jim Morris. Saved our program.

My real answer to this question is two-fold:

1) This question is disingenuous as ****, but not unexpected.

2) JD is a Cane, but he wasn't qualified to take this job with the other candidates available. This is the Manny Diaz hire just on the baseball side. That's not JD's fault, it's the boosters and powers that be that decided to stay in house/cheaper and hire him for the job. That's a failure on their part, and that's who my frustration is aimed at mainly.

JD's gonna get his shot, and it's on him to do the job and succeed. All indications right now are that he'll probably have a low point here for a couple of years, then be able to build back up to about like this season...then never get over the hump and back to Omaha...and we are stuck in the same ole cycle yet again *because* we decided *again* to stay in house. Some people that's good enough for, others it's not. I fall in the latter category...especially when you see programs like Wake Forest having success and making it to Omaha. Not to mention UF making the finals when we can't even get to Supers but once in a blue moon anymore.

All those things are my take on it, but it's based in reality and context we've seen over SEVERAL seasons. If y'all who fall into the other categories prefer to do something else, I think it's just dumb of you to do...but you do you, boo.

Failure to me would mean that every year since 2008 (you said 15 years) we’ve had every ingredient to make a run to Omaha and haven’t made it can you honestly say that? That we were all set up to be a top 8 and failed? To me that’s failure based on yearly expectations

We made it to the CWS in 2015 and 2016, and I think we would have made it in 2020. In between, we missed the entire post-season in 2017 and 2018. That's a rough rollercoaster.

Winning the entire CWS is a tough accomplishment. We had a 30 year HOF'er only do it twice. We had a 25 year HOF'er only do it twice.

And as rare as that is, we are still the #5 team (tied) in all-time CWS championships.

Keep in mind...

The #1 team, all-time, hasn't won since 1998 (and 1978 before that).

The #3 team, all-time, hasn't won since 2005.

The #4 team, all-time, hasn't won since 1981.

The other two #5 teams haven't won since 2004 and 2012.

So there are quite a few historically-great blueblood teams that have not won the CWS in the last 15 years. Only LSU and Arizona have done it.

I think the key takeaway is that we should look into newer and better ways of doing things. I'm really doubtful that hiring JD does that.

Advertisement
Again, I understand, I am 41 I have definitely seen what the program should look like. I moved to SC when I was 18, At the time my family was going through some life altering 'stuff', and I have been here ever since.

I have been in and around baseball since I started playing t-ball. I still enjoy the 'side hustle' I have and take part in almost year-round. I am actually fortunate enough to see the inside world of scouting, player profiling, etc., etc...I spend the majority of the time doing this around a baseball or softball field, but I get to spend a little time around a football field as well, and with primarily rising junior or senior high school athletes.

You are right failure is subjective and relative...but we not a failure. Iona, St. Peters, Dartmouth, Villanova...those programs are failures...
Not doubting your credentials, experience, or fandom. But you're comparing apples and oranges. Failure is relative to ability, expectations, past results, and best case result. You can't compare Miami baseball and Villanova baseball. A successful season for Villanova, or best case scenario, would be making the field of 64, in any capacity. Not the same at Miami. So what would be a successful season at Villanova, can be viewed as a failure at Miami.

Again, I understand, I am 41 I have definitely seen what the program should look like. I moved to SC when I was 18, At the time my family was going through some life altering 'stuff', and I have been here ever since.

I have been in and around baseball since I started playing t-ball. I still enjoy the 'side hustle' I have and take part in almost year-round. I am actually fortunate enough to see the inside world of scouting, player profiling, etc., etc...I spend the majority of the time doing this around a baseball or softball field, but I get to spend a little time around a football field as well, and with primarily rising junior or senior high school athletes.

You are right failure is subjective and relative...but we not a failure. Iona, St. Peters, Dartmouth, Villanova...those programs are failures...
for what Miamis legacy is in baseball just like football, we have failed

We made it to the CWS in 2015 and 2016, and I think we would have made it in 2020. In between, we missed the entire post-season in 2017 and 2018. That's a rough rollercoaster.

Winning the entire CWS is a tough accomplishment. We had a 30 year HOF'er only do it twice. We had a 25 year HOF'er only do it twice.

And as rare as that is, we are still the #5 team (tied) in all-time CWS championships.

Keep in mind...

The #1 team, all-time, hasn't won since 1998 (and 1978 before that).

The #3 team, all-time, hasn't won since 2005.

The #4 team, all-time, hasn't won since 1981.

The other two #5 teams haven't won since 2004 and 2012.

So there are quite a few historically-great blueblood teams that have not won the CWS in the last 15 years. Only LSU and Arizona have done it.

I think the key takeaway is that we should look into newer and better ways of doing things. I'm really doubtful that hiring JD does that.
Saving my answer for you know when

I'm on the record as being against the hiring of JD Arteaga. Unlike some, I'm not going to predict immediate disaster, I just don't think it was the right call AT ALL.

I was at UM Law when we hired Jim Morris. Saved our program.

No idea what any of that has to do with my sarcastic post, but alright. Guess it's like the old saying goes, "a hit dog will holler".

Advertisement
As long as we are stuck with him, I want him to succeed. But if he fails, I also want him gone quickly. No keeping him around hoping for a miracle.
He has a very limited list of excuses as to why the program did not meet expectations. It is not like he is an outside hire and needs time to change how the team gels with his style of coaching.

soooo.... do we have a full staff yet??? were any of the assistant hires official??

Yeah I’m not looking for championships every other year. Baseball is tough. You could run out your ace and if he is off in this day and age you can lose to anyone. (Skenes aside). You can also have a red hot offense that goes out and faces a kid who is locked in and just starts carving you up.

I just want to go into regionals knowing it will take a special performance to beat us, Supers are almost automatic and then a really well played super. Omaha should be the goal every year but if you are getting there every other year or every three years in this era that’s pretty good.

But we just look the same year after year right now and JD is part of those results until he proved he has a different way of doing things. But being that he has never coached anywhere else I’ll believe it when I see it.

Advertisement
Want JD to succeed and how many want him to fail so they can say I told you so? Probably 50-50 at best.
I’m never in the latter, but I am still disgusted with this choice. I hope by some miracle I’m proven to be dead wrong and this was actually some great coaching decision disguised as an easy sell out.

Advertisement
Back