How long do we expect to see Deejay Dallas at WR?

Slot WR/Third down back role if we find that big bodied redzone/possession Wr (Cager) we could mimick Clemsons offense with all these weapons. And remember the best will play but all of these recruits won't see the field year one since we ate getting quality players now.

Advertisement
He'll be playing RB

I agree. If Cam Akers can make the transition from QB to RB, why can't Deejay?

Because they're not the same player. Dallas is likely a better S prospect than RB. The only way he goes to RB is if we whiff on a grad transfer.

Where is this film that suggest he is a great safety? There is plenty of film with the ball in his hands making plays.
Sometimes you have to project attributes. While anyone should concede there are plenty of unknown variables - tackling, recognition, etc. - for Dallas as a DB, I think how his attributes project to a position should also be considered.

Butch Davis evaluations 101.

There was an interview where the Donk said he'll be a WR, so why all the speculation. From here on out every recruit will come in at a position stacked with top talent. Doesn't mean a new comer can't earn his way onto the field.

Message board ppl and there imaginary depth chart fantasies smh
The weird thing about these comments is coaches themselves have emphasized "WR right now" or "WR for now," as if there's at least consideration he can play in another spot. Considering he was a QB, there's plenty to discuss on a message board.

I've seen Deejay play several times and he was used as a FS at the end of close games they were leading. He played CB and WR before mainly being used as QB. I believe he returned kicks as a sophomore but not sure on that.

Advertisement
The weird thing about him starting out at WR is that there is a clearer path to immediate PT at DB, especially safety. I'd like to see him switch over to DB sooner than later.

The weird thing about him starting out at WR is that there is a clearer path to immediate PT at DB, especially safety. I'd like to see him switch over to DB sooner than later.
The issue is learning curve & impact...

Sure, he could play DB early on, but it's much more difficult position to play as a Freshman & he's not starting over any of the CB's.

If you put him at FS, we have the same problem we have now which is inexperience at that spot, would you want Quan & Deejay as the starting Safety's?

At WR, he can go in from day 1 and get plays where he has an immediate impact on the field, the learning curve is much smaller at WR than it is at DB, plus he can be used in multiple packages.

At RB he simply won't see the field, he doesn't have a big enough frame & he'd essentially be splitting carries with Burns.

Only way it would work is if he ran a wildcat style on special packages, which I'm not so sure Richt would run often enough justify moving Deejay to RB.

His upside in the Long run might be best at Safety, but based on how highly Richt thinks of him & the fact he's an EE means he's not going to redshirt this season, therefore it seems WR is the best option for him to see meaningful snaps come September.

Sure, he could play DB early on, but it's much more difficult position to play as a Freshman & he's not starting over any of the CB's.

If you put him at FS, we have the same problem we have now which is inexperience at that spot, would you want Quan & Deejay as the starting Safety's?

At WR, he can go in from day 1 and get plays where he has an immediate impact on the field, the learning curve is much smaller at WR than it is at DB, plus he can be used in multiple packages.

At RB he simply won't see the field, he doesn't have a big enough frame & he'd essentially be splitting carries with Burns.

Only way it would work is if he ran a wildcat style on special packages, which I'm not so sure Richt would run often enough justify moving Deejay to RB.

His upside in the Long run might be best at Safety, but based on how highly Richt thinks of him & the fact he's an EE means he's not going to redshirt this season, therefore it seems WR is the best option for him to see meaningful snaps come September.

He brings that speed to the safety position....You might be right about hte learning curve tho..he does have all spring

The WR spots are wide open for Dallas, Thomas, and Harley. I don't think anyone besides AR has a spot in the rotation locked up. Cager and Mullins havent proven anything. Berrios caught 12 balls last year. Harris and Langham are transfer candidates. Njoku will hang around at WR for one year then transition to TE by 2018.

Advertisement

He brings that speed to the safety position....You might be right about hte learning curve tho..he does have all spring
I'm not against playing him at Safety, I think ultimately he could be a great Safety...

I'm just saying as of now, I highly doubt he would be the starting FS as a Freshman, so he would basically spend his Frosh year learning.

At WR, he's playing day 1, not saying he's going to start, but he'll get meaningful snaps at WR, he'll play right away.

The WR spots are wide open for Dallas, Thomas, and Harley. I don't think anyone besides AR has a spot in the rotation locked up. Cager and Mullins havent proven anything. Berrios caught 12 balls last year. Harris and Langham are transfer candidates. Njoku will hang around at WR for one year then transition to TE by 2018.

Dayall Harris, a transfer candidate?

DeeJay is a free safety. But he fits better as a prototype slot WR than anyone on the team.

He'll replace what they lost in Sam Bruce. Harley is an outside spacer. Thomas can play anywhere really so I don't see him confined to the slot.

Barring a meltdown the 2018 class is addressing the teams safety needs in bunches.

The team is just getting to the point where it has high-end depth at skill positions. This is a good thing. Not everyone is going to play a leading role.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back