How long do we expect to see Deejay Dallas at WR?

I've always seen him as a ball hawking safety type. His ability to make plays with the ball in his hands reminds me of Ed Reed. Now if he can actually play the position like Reed is yet to be seen, but that's where I feel his talents work best.

Advertisement
How many of the guys coming in project as a nickel? Only Bandy really seems to fit that mold from the 17 kids. Campbell, Ivey and Frierson are longer corners . Blades (maybe Samuel) could possibly play there but that would leave just competition between him, Bandy and DeeJay. I don't think it's out of the question he gets on the field playing special teams, nickel and perhaps offense enough to make an impact and not get pushed out. The spring should clear things up

Advertisement
I am very concerned about this, frankly. I don't see his future at wr. I don't see him being better at db than the 18 class, even more so if he doesn't start out there this year. I am trying not to count eggs before they hatch, but if we close at wr and db in the 18 class like we have the potential to, we might have a jack of all trades, king of none on our hands that ends up being a team captain and leader, special teams stud more so than a truly defined on field contributor. But you won't see me complaining about a josh cribbs type of roll (not kick returner) in that he is a fan favorite and huge specials contributor that inspires his team and is Just a great cane all things considered.. As mentioned already, I see his most likely position of impact as a center fielder type of free safety, a quarter back of the secondary. And if that is in fact where he belongs, get him there NOW. Don't fritter away his eligibility trying to fit him into a bunch of different roles. Possibly RB if things don't shake out there like we think.

Hope I am dead wrong. Hope he is an all American at whatever position he eventually lands at. I am far from an expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be possible for him to have a Christian McCaffrey- type role? I would like to see him as the KR and creating match-up problems as a pass catching RB.

Advertisement
I am very concerned about this, frankly. I don't see his future at wr. I don't see him being better at db than the 18 class, even more so if he doesn't start out there this year. I am trying not to count eggs before they hatch, but if we close at wr and db in the 18 class like we have the potential to, we might have a jack of all trades, king of none on our hands that ends up being a team captain and leader, special teams stud more so than a truly defined on field contributor. But you won't see me complaining about a josh cribbs type of roll (not kick returner) in that he is a fan favorite and huge specials contributor that inspires his team and is Just a great cane all things considered.. As mentioned already, I see his most likely position of impact as a center fielder type of free safety, a quarter back of the secondary. And if that is in fact where he belongs, get him there NOW. Don't fritter away his eligibility trying to fit him into a bunch of different roles. Possibly RB if things don't shake out there like we think.

Hope I am dead wrong. Hope he is an all American at whatever position he eventually lands at. I am far from an expert.

I think this year, he can carve out a role getting touches as a 3rd down back in addition to his special teams play. I think if the cards fall right for him (Gray gone, Walton leaves early, Burns remains injury prone, and Homer doesn't meet expectations), Dallas can still serve as a valuable contributor as the 3rd option behind Lingard and Davis in 2018.

On defense, we need a centerfield FS type since we don't really have one now. Finley, Carter, Derrick Smith, J Johnson all seem better suited playing closer to the LOS. Of course as you say, the 18 class is LOADED with FS types that can cover (Jobe, Frierson, Hall, Campbell) and Dallas might have a lot of trouble fending them off.

I like his upside at safety but as others have said he's too dynamic to put on D. Wouldn't be mad at all if he got a look at RB.

Or he could just contribute at WR where he's playing??

Advertisement
It's been common knowledge that Deejay Dallas will be playing at the WR spot this upcoming season, but I don't necessarily see the need or the fit with a WR core of Richards, Harley, Thomas, Cager, Mullins, and Berrios. #Storm18 also has mad potential to bring in a group of STUDS at WR. I personally envision Dallas on the defensive side of the ball, helping out our weaker secondary. Just my opinion though. Thoughts?

Looks like you are assuming he is not as good a WR as those coming in 2018, or as Cager, Berrios, or Harley and Thomas? And you may be right but, let's wait on that.

Everything I've seen about the guy says he's electric with the ball in his hands. I also remember Richt telling reporters at one of the camps last year (think Paradise) while Dallas was doing a drill, "that's a 1st round type talent right there", so the staff def thinks very highly of him. We also have to remember that he is the only one out of Harley, Thomas , Njouku, and himself (Dallas) that is here for spring ball, and with the numbers at WR so thin for spring practice, he has a HUGE head start on those other guys. Also with an QB competition going on it's only fair to give them some capable bodies in the spring and early portion of fall practice.

We have no idea how the other 3 WRs in the class will pickup the playbook,size of college ball, blocking, speed of CFB, etc.. so it's good to have another option for the Fall in the event a couple guys RS, or just take longer to make the adjustment. For every Ahmon Richards, there's a Mullins (know he got here late but just an example) that takes a year or two to develop into a solid WR.

I like the fact that we're having this problem. I see him on the offensive side of the ball during the spring as a slot/RB option. I think they will try him at FS during the spring as well, more so to get him some reps/knowledge of the position. I just think the former ambassador is going to be our:
in-case-of-emergency-signs-in-case-of-emergency-break-glass-w2167-ba.jpg

Going forward!

Advertisement
Let's see what he can do! He's on campus, and the guys that may pass him up are still in High School. He's dynamic with the ball in hands! I think he's going to be a major contributor on Offense and Defense. Let's see how he develops. Like someone said before, it's going to be a good problem to have.

Staff is already talking about drawing up trick plays and **** for dallas on offense. I think you will see dallas used as a utility guy. He will probably return kicks, play wr, do some wildcat stuff, and even come out the backfield. Think randall cobb with the packers.

Indefinitely. The '18 DB class is even more loaded than the WRs. We're building true depth. DeeJay will work to earn his place.

Had this afterthought as well. Crazy speculating about what this team could be after 2 more years of these coaches on the 'crootin trail. Crazy how fast you can go from a team in search for plan B's and plan C's to a team that's struggling to to pick which top recruits you'll take in the upcoming class.

Richt in his acceptance speech spoke to his belief it would take 2 to 3 recruiting classes that would be needed to get us where we wanted to be. IMO he is on track. Trust in Richt, he is getting it done on so many levels. Great to be a MIAMI HURRICANE!

Expect him to play at rb a little, running wildcat and receiving out of the backfield.

I can see this as well, also I think with his athleticism he will be a contributor in the screen game, the kid is an athlete who can do it all.

Advertisement
Back