How is Butch Davis not in the UMHOF?

Advertisement
My motto on Butch has always been “ only Butch Davis could’ve found a way to lose a game with that 2000 roster “. I will argue to the day I die that‘s a better team on paper than the 2001 team. That said I will always give him his flowers as a recruiter , evaluator and developing players. But on Saturday’s he was atrocious. He coached scared and not to lose.
He was awful. Anyone who says opposite didn’t watch him coach for 5 years.

Big east doesn't exist.

You are a miserable piece of trash.

"He won the conference 3 times in 6 years." is what I said.

Doesn't matter what conference. 5 of the 8 Big East teams are now in the ACC, 1 is in the Big 10, 1 is in the Big 12.

Are you going to whine about strength or size of conference? Diminish what Miami accomplished as an independent or Big East champ? It's not like the ACC has been a much harder test.

Stop acting like a ****.

Whooo; a lot of dead bodies in this thread. Yikes.

Well lemme tread semi lightly around this ghost town. Lol.

I see there’s a lot of emotional, scorned responses; in turn, a lot of discrediting & irrational thinking, so let’s see if we can get back on track.

The yr was 1995; our decade of dominance came to an unceremonious halt.
-01/01/93: We got thoroughly embarrassed in a Nat’l Title Game that featured our QB sweep all the Nat’l Awards for CFB QBs & the Heisman (Was at that game) throw for 0 TDs & under 50% passing.

-01/01/94: We get absolutely bludgeoned & blanked by THE F’ING ARIZONA FOOTBALL WILDCATS FOR THEIR ONLY NY6 BOWL VICTORY IN SCHOOL’S HISTORY!

-01/01/1995: Up 17-7 in the 3rd & 17-9 deep in the 4th, we lose at our crib 24-17 to our hated rival, Nebraska.

-During the ‘94 season, allegations of a NCAA investigation started swirling around, & as our boy Dennis Erickson decided to skip town while all this chit was happening under his watch, he left The U Undesirable. This is what Butch inherited; he didn’t inherit a Nat’l Championship program like his predecessors in JJ & Erickson. No, he inherited bull chit. Butch wasn’t even our choice to lead this program, but none of our choices wanted to come to the uncertainty that faced us.

Butch wasn’t the perfect coach; he was a novice that second guessed himself, often, early on in his career. His clock mgmt was ?able. He & Coker tried to install an offense that mimicked the Dallas Cowboys, but Erickson didn’t recruit the personnel to fit the scheme. That became evident as the offense scored less than 20 points in 10 of our 23 games from ‘95 - ‘96, yet we went 2-0 in our bowl games after losing 3 in a row. Being a new coach w/ a true cloud over him, to go 17-6 his first two yrs w/ no prior coaching was solid, imo.

The cloud opened up & rained all over the program over the next couple of years; yet, Butch navigated us through all of that, to the point where we should’ve hoisted trophies in both 2000 & 2001.

Him leaving sucked, but let’s be honest; most of us wanted him gone in 1997. Naaaah; fck that…mofos wanted him gone after getting motor boated by East Carolina in 1996!!! Yet, there’s this revisionist history of hating his guts for going to the NFL after 2000 b/c he “lied about staying?” Lol. Listen, I don’t pretend to know all the details, but knowing how JJ was treated b4 leaving to Dallas, I’m going to side w/ the many who have way more intel than I do that have said there was a lack of commitment to Butch, therefore he took the bag.

The irony in this is I see fans telling young men “good luck” after they de-commit from US, & doubling down by stating they don’t blame them for going after a bigger bag (cough, cough Rashada Apologist), yet some of these same ones have been dogmatic in criticizing Butch for securing his future. Lol

U can say he negatively recruited against us; uhhhhhh, his employer was UNC & his job was to secure top recruits to his new employer. U can say “fck him; at FIU his players were flopping against us.” Lol. Uhhhh, how about we should’ve never been down to FIU, period!!

Again, there’s too much irrational, emotional hate towards a guy who was the ONLY ONE who wanted to be here when we had an open investigation & he restored the program.

He’ll probably never in the HOF here b/c like fans, there’s many BOT members who have this same childish, petty like attitude towards the man that put us in a position to win 3 straight, despite a non-committal attitude towards him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Suck my No Reply D*ck....Erickson Won 2 Rings with all JJs kids, and guess who recruited and got them to sign with UM??...Butch...Without Butch, this Site doesn't exist, much like the 2000,01,02 and 03 teams....He was JJs recruiting Guru from 84-88....STFU on a topic you have no idea about, except the BS your Dumbazz believes.
Mfs was tellin tellin yesterday. Yall should be ashamed.

You are a miserable piece of trash.

"He won the conference 3 times in 6 years." is what I said.

Doesn't matter what conference. 5 of the 8 Big East teams are now in the ACC, 1 is in the Big 10, 1 is in the Big 12.

Are you going to whine about strength or size of conference? Diminish what Miami accomplished as an independent or Big East champ? It's not like the ACC has been a much harder test.

Stop acting like a ****.
Hes a hall of fame staff builder and recruiter but an absolute dog**** gameday coach.

Advertisement
Some posts were probably deleted, it was 99.9% this one. Don’t overthink this 😂😂😂😂.
I would’ve lost a lot of money as well if I was betting, which is why I don’t bet, lol, @SCarolina Ibis

I think he caught the ban in the “something about a portal kid story. I think it got deleted. Had some Remarks about Manny & Mario, or maybe it was just about Manny.

Advertisement

I see there’s a lot of emotional, scorned responses; in turn, a lot of discrediting & irrational thinking, so let’s see if we can get back on track.

-01/01/93: We got thoroughly embarrassed in a Nat’l Title Game that featured our QB sweep all the Nat’l Awards for CFB QBs & the Heisman (Was at that game) throw for 0 TDs & under 50% passing.

-01/01/94: We get absolutely bludgeoned & blanked by THE F’ING ARIZONA FOOTBALL WILDCATS FOR THEIR ONLY NY6 BOWL VICTORY IN SCHOOL’S HISTORY!

-01/01/1995: Up 17-7 in the 3rd & 17-9 deep in the 4th, we lose at our crib 24-17 to our hated rival, Nebraska.

-During the ‘94 season, allegations of a NCAA investigation started swirling around, & as our boy Dennis Erickson decided to skip town while all this chit was happening under his watch, he left The U Undesirable. This is what Butch inherited; he didn’t inherit a Nat’l Championship program like his predecessors in JJ & Erickson. No, he inherited bull chit. Butch wasn’t even our choice to lead this program, but none of our choices wanted to come to the uncertainty that faced us.

Butch wasn’t the perfect coach; he was a novice that second guessed himself, often, early on in his career. His clock mgmt was ?able. He & Coker tried to install an offense that mimicked the Dallas Cowboys, but Erickson didn’t recruit the personnel to fit the scheme. That became evident as the offense scored less than 20 points in 10 of our 23 games from ‘95 - ‘96, yet we went 2-0 in our bowl games after losing 3 in a row. Being a new coach w/ a true cloud over him, to go 17-6 his first two yrs w/ no prior coaching was solid, imo.

The cloud opened up & rained all over the program over the next couple of years; yet, Butch navigated us through all of that, to the point where we should’ve hoisted trophies in both 2000 & 2001.

Him leaving sucked, but let’s be honest; most of us wanted him gone in 1997. Naaaah; fck that…mofos wanted him gone after getting motor boated by East Carolina in 1996!!! Yet, there’s this revisionist history of hating his guts for going to the NFL after 2000 b/c he “lied about staying?” Lol. Listen, I don’t pretend to know all the details, but knowing how JJ was treated b4 leaving to Dallas, I’m going to side w/ the many who have way more intel than I do that have said there was a lack of commitment to Butch, therefore he took the bag.

The irony in this is I see fans telling young men “good luck” after they de-commit from US, & doubling down by stating they don’t blame them for going after a bigger bag (cough, cough Rashada Apologist), yet some of these same ones have been dogmatic in criticizing Butch for securing his future. Lol

U can say he negatively recruited against us; uhhhhhh, his employer was UNC & his job was to secure top recruits to his new employer. U can say “fck him; at FIU his players were flopping against us.” Lol. Uhhhh, how about we should’ve never been down to FIU, period!!

Again, there’s too much irrational, emotional hate towards a guy who was the ONLY ONE who wanted to be here when we had an open investigation & he restored the program.

He’ll probably never in the HOF here b/c like fans, there’s many BOT members who have this same childish, petty like attitude towards the man that put us in a position to win 3 straight, despite a non-committal attitude towards him.
Why people don't understand this is beyond me.

Instead they want to hang on to the lame "bad game day coach" argument, which is the stupidest thing they could say. Like that argument supercedes all his other accomplishments.

If you don't like him, just man up and say you don't like him. But don't give ignorant excuses because you look like the typical mouthbreathing Miami fan.

Why people don't understand this is beyond me.

Instead they want to hang on to the lame "bad game day coach" argument, which is the stupidest thing they could say. Like that argument supercedes all his other accomplishments.

If you don't like him, just man up and say you don't like him. But don't give ignorant excuses because you look like the typical mouthbreathing Miami fan.
Well it is called Head “Coach “ . How stupid of me to judge a coach on his actual game day coaching lol. I guess I am the stupid one.

Advertisement
This thread is amazing…
The Butch cult always brings me laughs. He built a great team one time so he’s the equivalent of LombardI, Wooden, Belichik, Saban and P Jackson rolled into one. At least in their own minds. There’s nothing on his resume but that roster he built and a few Big East titles. Oh and the five mythical national titles “ he would’ve won “ if he’d stayed.

Don’t worry guys , I’ll see myself out lol.

All I know is watching Mario last season on gameday give me PTSD flashbacks to the mid to late 90s.

Anyone who says it was different is deliberately lying to everyone here.

I mean, you did a good job explaining why the haters are overreacting on him, but you also illustrate a lot of his warts. In your words:

"Not a perfect coach."

"Novice."

"Second guessed himself."

"Questionable clock management."

"(should have won) in 2000."

Hmmmmmm... His game day coaching cost us, (and him) the 2000 NC IMO. And maybe he cost himself the HOF, right? And let's not forget the bust was on DEFENSE @ Wash. If he isn't a poor game day coach, I'd say he's in. This isn't a +/- on Butch, this is a HALL OF FAME convo. The GOATS. He had his own HOF destiny in his control, and couldn't win the ring. Send him a nice UM watch.

Stop it....it was 13-0 at halftime. I knew the game was over the second Butch took away the slant, and Enos had absolutely no answer for it. The supposed fake injury stuff had nothing to do with the outcome. Funny how a dozen former UM Greats were standing on his sideline, and not Mannys.
Because they were loyal to their coach and not to the seed of corrupt mayor who blew up the OB to line his pockets...

Advertisement
Back