How is Blake Baker viewed among the players?

Advertisement
Miami never had the lead against FIU but I get what you're saying. The fact that we can remember each and every possession where the defense failed us tells us how few times they let us down. Wouldn't it be nice if we could win a game without the defense having to be perfect?

No, I can remember each moment because we have folks on this board trying to say that the defense never let us down. That simply isn’t true.

I understand what you’re saying. But NOTHING about the FIU, VT, or UNC game even remotely whispers “perfect” in regards to the 2019 defense. The defense basically started the UNC game with their entire heads up their asses until we were down by three scores(?)

Our defense started ****** and finished ****** in that game. Gave up the win. That’s the truth. We didn’t need them to be perfect. We needed them to be awake and competent.

VT. JW was awful. Play-calling was awful. VT ran our routes for us. Our tendencies were glaring! With that said, what proceeded to happen after the turnover(s) with us leaving their tight end wide open for touchdowns was just pathetic. After we tied the game, the last thing I wanted to see is a Miami defense give up a 49 yard play on the first snap.

We gave a 30+ points to FIU and didn’t record a single sack. It’s FIU. SERIOUSLY.

I believe you guys are being fooled by the stats. LT, FIU, CMU, Bethune, FSU, GT... that’s what attributed to the stats. The bottom line is when it mattered most we couldn’t get a stop against several of the teams we lost to.

Say whatever you want but if Penos’ offense was as good as Baker’s defense, Miami would have been 12-0 and there’s not even a discussion.

I totally disagree. And I feel like this is what’s wrong with our Fanbase. When Richt had AR82 as a Frosh and they were doing things, our offense was still entirely too basic, our tendencies were trash, and our route running was horrendous. But AR and NuNu made simple slants and dumps look like go route bombs, and made big plays, so our fans were nice and happy. I told my buddies we were going to run into an ugly wall. It was all smoke and mirrors.

And of course the bottom fell out... and we went on four game slides.....AFTER making it to the Ship and returning our QB. We could have easily lost three/four games that year too. We were just lucky. The details matter.

Bakers defense wasn’t good last year. Just like we weren’t that good under Richt heading to the Ship..

Advertisement
This right here.

I don't think anyone disputes the situation the offense left the defense. But too often, with the game on the line, the defense let the other team move easily down the field to steal a win. Combine that with the poor 3rd down (and 4th down) efficiency, the defense regularly played soft when it was needed the most. They played mentally soft which is most uncharacteristic to past teams that most like to compare them to.

That alone changes a 6-6 regular season into a 9-3 regular season and most likely a coastal championship. It also means a whole different dynamic going into the bowl game and recruiting season.

Exactly. People keep forgetting about our poor third down and forth down efficiency, which also led to the defense being on the field more than they should have.... The defense played soft AF when it mattered and definitely cost us games.

Don't forget the 2000 game when after scoring the go-ahead touchdown with the pass from Dorsey to Shockey, the defense let FSU drive right down the field to attempt the potential game tying field goal. Both times they got bailed out by FSU's terrible kickers.

Well - I didn’t like that DC either. And?

I don't actually give a shìt about his ability call a game, he's neither good nor terrible at it, he's right down the middle...

What I don't like about Baker is his inability to recruit, he's from Houston & coached at LA Tech & for whatever reason he doesn't pound the table hard enough for us recruit down in TX & Louisiana.

Manny probably wants to keep everything local but if I'm Baker I'm telling him it's an absolute must that we forge a pipeline into those 2 talent rich regions, all those kids down there don't stay home, so we should be raiding that area the same way every other program ransacks South FL.

He also doesn't give me aggressive vibes, he has a very unassuming demeanor, he comes off like a dude with very little fire & seems to not really display any kind of disciplinary edge, he seems like a cool coach that you could talk to real easy but that's not really what we need. We need a fiery DC who's ****ed off & will coach the Defense hard. We had too many players that would play as if they had something better else to do & make mental lapses that cost us.

I hope he takes more command of the Defense, players have to be accountable for their play, you fúck up & stand on the sideline, that needs to be the standard. I don't wanna hear no nonsense about how hard a guy works or how a good student he is, that's nice & all, but on the field if he don't perform up to standard he needs to sit his *** on the bench, that's it.

PATKE, RUMPH and BAKER💯 Non aggressive/unassuming demeanor. Banda is aggressive

Advertisement
I totally disagree. And I feel like this is what’s wrong with our Fanbase. When Richt had AR82 as a Frosh and they were doing things, our offense was still entirely too basic, our tendencies were trash, and our route running was horrendous. But AR and NuNu made simple slants and dumps look like go route bombs, and made big plays, so our fans were nice and happy. I told my buddies we were going to run into an ugly wall. It was all smoke and mirrors.

And of course the bottom fell out... and we went on four game slides.....AFTER making it to the Ship and returning our QB. We could have easily lost three/four games that year too. We were just lucky. The details matter.

Bakers defense wasn’t good last year. Just like we weren’t that good under Richt heading to the Ship..
Not sure what any of that has to do with 2019. The defense was good enough that with a capable offense, they would have been undefeated in the regular season. Would they have gotten exposed against the cream of the crop? Yeah but I would prefer 12-2 or 13-1 to 6-7. The defense can get better but they’ve held up their end of the bargain. I mean they would have went 2-10 last year if the defense wasn’t good.

Not sure what any of that has to do with 2019. The defense was good enough that with a capable offense, they would have been undefeated in the regular season. Would they have gotten exposed against the cream of the crop? Yeah but I would prefer 12-2 or 13-1 to 6-7. The defense can get better but they’ve held up their end of the bargain. I mean they would have went 2-10 last year if the defense wasn’t good.

We didn’t go undefeated or win 12 games under Mark when we went to the ACC championship. But you think a defense that folded down the line in four games would have helped us go undefeated (what you initially said) with a better offense in 2019? The same defense that allowed UNC to score 17(?) before the popcorn was done? The same defense that gave up 30(?) to FIU, and gave up fourth-quarter leads in multiple games....? That’s homerism.

The offense was awful. And by MIAMI standards - the defense was mediocre. Save the bullshyte stats.

Advertisement
I don't know what players think of him; heck I don't know any players at a personal level. But based on what I saw, he was not ready for the job - pressure, quick thinker, etc. It was clear to me that Diaz stepped in and covered for him. I would prefer a replacement.

We didn’t go undefeated or win 12 games under Mark when we went to the ACC championship. But you think a defense that folded down the line in four games would have helped us go undefeated (what you initially said) with a better offense in 2019? The same defense that allowed UNC to score 17(?) before the popcorn was done? The same defense that gave up 30(?) to FIU, and gave up fourth-quarter leads in multiple games....? That’s homerism.

The offense was awful. And by MIAMI standards - the defense was mediocre. Save the bullshyte stats.

UNC scored 27 total, our offense left how many points on the table in losing by

Duke scored 27, had -3 yards in the 3Q, game should have been over long before the 4th started

FIU had 30 points yes, had 13 in the first half, with a half decent offense game is over in the first half

LT they scored 14 points

VT game was terrible

GT didn’t score a single offensive TD

UF scored 24 and how many points did the offense leave on the table?

No game did the defense single handily loseus the game save VT

The offense was disgustingly horrific and cost us every single game this year, **** the first half of VT might have been the worst offensive performance I’ve seen in recent times

The defense is good enough to win us the coastal every single year with a half decent offense, **** 2017 wasn’t an offensive juggernaut but they put up enough points to start 10-0 until you guessed the offense threw up a dud against Pitt

Machete: The 2019 defense lost Redwine, Jaquan, Willis, Joe Jackson, and Mike Jackson. That's a *hit ton of talent. Those were likely the 5 best defensive players on the 2018 team. All gone. Red and Jaquan were absolute studs in the secondary. Both were QBs of the secondary. Gerald was arguably the best interior defender we've had in years. (You saw in the Wisconsin game what happened w/out him.) Joe was our leading sack guy. Mike was our best corner.

We lost all that talent and this defense was no worse than a top 25 defense, and likely better.

I don't think Blake is untouchable, but you're being way too tough on the guy. We'll find out a lot this year. There is plenty of returning talent. If you see some guys take the next step this year, that means he's doing his job.

Edit: Also, consider Manny's decision to RS McCloud. Ragone has heart but under normal circumstances, the kid doesn't see the field. Ragone was repeatedly attacked by VT.

Advertisement

I said undefeated. As in we would have won every game we played in 2019. I can't honestly say that a decent offense would have helped us win games we didn't play. I was strictly referring to the games we actually played. They had a sloppy first quarter against UNC but a decent offense wins that game. ****, a kicker who can make chip shot field goals wins that game even with the garbage offense. Probably could have been better against FIU too but your're talking about a defense surrendering 290 yards of offense. That 30 points is misleading, mostly due to Miami turning the ball over 3 times in their own territory. Once again a capable offense wins that one easily. The defense played well enough to win every game in 2019 except Louisville. They gave up a ton of yardage and points to the Cardinals but surprisingly nobody brings up that performance because the offense actually carried the team that day.

What are Miami standards? Are we comparing the 2019 defense to some of college football's all time best defenses that were loaded with All Americans and 1st round draft picks? Then, no they weren't that good. Were they better than a majority of college footballs' defenses in 2019? Yeah, i think so. Very good, not great.

UNC scored 27 total, our offense left how many points on the table in losing by

Duke scored 27, had -3 yards in the 3Q, game should have been over long before the 4th started

FIU had 30 points yes, had 13 in the first half, with a half decent offense game is over in the first half

LT they scored 14 points

VT game was terrible

GT didn’t score a single offensive TD

UF scored 24 and how many points did the offense leave on the table?

No game did the defense single handily loseus the game save VT

The offense was disgustingly horrific and cost us every single game this year, **** the first half of VT might have been the worst offensive performance I’ve seen in recent times

The defense is good enough to win us the coastal every single year with a half decent offense, **** 2017 wasn’t an offensive juggernaut but they put up enough points to start 10-0 until you guessed the offense threw up a dud against Pitt
Jarren Williams spotted 21 points to VT but the last drive when we completed the comeback ****ed me off beyond belief and UF had a very short field due to Thomas muffed punt and even tho the first td scored by Florida was **** tackling, special teams also allowed the fake punt.

Exactly. People keep forgetting about our poor third down and forth down efficiency, which also led to the defense being on the field more than they should have.... The defense played soft AF when it mattered and definitely cost us games.
If you go back over the TOP per game, the defense really was not on the field all that much. We had the majority of TOP in most of the losses.

Advertisement
Back