How is Blake Baker viewed among the players?

We took the lead vs UNC, VT and FIU(?) in the fourth - and the defense let them walk right down and score again. If I’m not mistaken, we can throw UF in there too. We gave up a massive bomb and allowed them to score in 4(?) plays.
Miami never had the lead against FIU but I get what you're saying. The fact that we can remember each and every possession where the defense failed us tells us how few times they let us down. Wouldn't it be nice if we could win a game without the defense having to be perfect?

Advertisement
Miami never had the lead against FIU but I get what you're saying. The fact that we can remember each and every possession where the defense failed us tells us how few times they let us down. Wouldn't it be nice if we could win a game without the defense having to be perfect?
Can't get a Lead against FIU in a game is the Epitome of ineptness....

The alone changes a 6-6 regular season into a 9-3 regular season and most likely a coastal championship. It also means a whole different dynamic going into the bowl game and recruiting season.

Yup and if the offense was even average, they would have went 12-0.

Honestly though, it's better this way. Let's just say the defense carries the load even more and they end up 9-3. We're probably bringing back Enos and Jarren Williams and the team would not be getting any better. I prefer to think of 2019 as the bandaid that had to be ripped off to fix the real problems with the program.

Can't get a Lead against FIU in a game is the Epitome of ineptness....
Yup. Especially when our running back is averaging almost 9 yards a carry but our offensive coordinator keeps dialing up passing plays for our hungover quarterback who threw 3 picks. Thankfully neither of those guys are here anymore.

The ones that helped us get to #4 in the nation in TFLs?

And #6 in sacks?

What about them?

Yeah, what about them? The only benefit of both of those is to put the offense in an unfavorable third down position. What's the point if we let them convert.

We were 42nd in defensive third down conversion. And that doesn't reflect that many of those were 3rd and long after a "sack" or "tackle for loss".

3rd Down Conversion Pct Defense

And 123rd in fourth down

4th Down Conversion Pct Defense

Advertisement
Yeah, what about them? The only benefit of both of those is to put the offense in an unfavorable third down position. What's the point if we let them convert.

We were 42nd in defensive third down conversion. And that doesn't reflect that many of those were 3rd and long after a "sack" or "tackle for loss".

And 123rd in fourth down

This is my issue with the defense and how Baker called games. It's certainly a repairable issue as we were terrible on third downs in 2017 and went to the top of the list in 2018. A more experienced secondary will help along with a more seasoned coordinator.

I just watched the 2002 UM-FSU game where we came back from a 13 point deficit to win. FSU got the ball at the end of the 4th with great field position due to a 3 yard Capshaw punt. They march right down the field and stopped the clock with 1 second left. Beitia missed the kick wide left. I don't remember hearing a whole lot of complaining about our 4th quarter defense that day, but if that happened today, this place would erupt in how incompetent they are and how much we suck.

Playing devil's advocate here:

Baker did not throw 3 first half INTs vs VT
Baker did not miss a game-tying FG vs NC
Baker did not throw multiple INTs vs FIU
Baker did not muff a punt vs UF
Baker did not punt 11 times vs Duke
Baker did not allow a def & ST TD vs GT
Baker did not get shut out vs LT
The offense is Baker's best defense...

Advertisement

And 123rd in fourth down

3rd down definitely a glaring problem last year. But I’d be pretty confident in saying our 5 year rolling average is likely Top 15-20.

I just watched the 2002 UM-FSU game where we came back from a 13 point deficit to win. FSU got the ball at the end of the 4th with great field position due to a 3 yard Capshaw punt. They march right down the field and stopped the clock with 1 second left. Beitia missed the kick wide left. I don't remember hearing a whole lot of complaining about our 4th quarter defense that day, but if that happened today, this place would erupt in how incompetent they are and how much we suck.
That FSU team was way better than any team UM played last season.

Don't forget the 2000 game when after scoring the go-ahead touchdown with the pass from Dorsey to Shockey, the defense let FSU drive right down the field to attempt the potential game tying field goal. Both times they got bailed out by FSU's terrible kickers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't forget the 2000 game when after scoring the go-ahead touchdown with the pass from Dorsey to Shockey, the defense let FSU drive right down the field to attempt the potential game tying field goal. Both times they got bailed out by FSU's terrible kickers.
You even heard the announcers lament the loss of Ed Reed. We gave up a couple of huge runs also. These things happened in the past, but now this place expects perfection.

I'm not saying there isn't room for criticism or that it isn't deserved, but defensively we're not terrible.

Also, the 2002 team already had several scalps on their belt. You can rationalize it as "one of those days". They've earned the right.

Meanwhile, what did the 2019 earn?
So you expect a lesser talented team to be perfect but a team full of first round draft picks gets a pass? Ok.

Advertisement
Back