How is Blake Baker viewed among the players?

No, I'm telling the defensive story. The defense was just as culpable for their inability to get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. The offense for sure, w/o a shadow of a doubt was a chit show, but let's not act like our defense has been this all world unit, ESPECIALLY against this schedule.

There is NEVER an excuse for LA Tech to almost hang 200 on us on the ground in a bowl game w/ weeks to prepare. There is NEVER an excuse for a 2 win GT team to just run the ball down our throats. There is NEVER an excuse to make an unknown TE famous for VT. There is NEVER an excuse to give up 4th and 17 to a rookie QB in his 2nd game, ever. There is NEVER an excuse to allow FIU look like a competent P5 team. I don't give af if the O was giving you 3 and outs all day long. Our defense was SUPERIOR than any team we faced outside of UF. It's time for Manny and his staff to own some of this bull chit that's been going on. We've blown leads when it mattered, as well....and if CMU WRs could catch a darn ball, they would've won their game, too.

Again, stats on their own are just stats. This is what these teams scored offensively through roughly 3 1/2 quarters or even deeper into those games:

CMU-5 points
La Tech-7 points
GTech 7 points
Duke-13 points
Pitt-9 points
Virginia-6 points
FSU-10 points
BCU-0 points
UF-20 points
UNC-20 points

How differently do those games have played out had we put up 21,28 or even 30 points? What if we had just hit every chip shot FG and PAT or not turned the ball over 3-4 times straight offensively to start games?

Other than the FSU and Louisville games we NEVER got to watch our D just pin it's ears back and really wreak havoc. That's because nearly every game was a nail biter where we couldn't afford to take ANY real chances defensively.

Our D didn't choke. By the end of most game it was gassed, demoralized and operating on a high wire, literally having to play perfect football to get a win. That's why every drive, point and 4th down conversion was so magnified.

Advertisement
I think the defense overall was solid. But the problem was situational defense was bad. We weren’t good on 3rd down and we couldn’t get stops when we needed to. Also his constant blitzing is predictable, annoying, and ineffective.

i heard at times Baker was slow getting play calls in to the D, but I believe this was started around the time everyone thought Manny was being more involved. So I don’t know if this happened because Manny was giving Baker plays to call or Baker was just slow at it.

heard team thinks he’s fine and they actually really like Patke

I have an absolutely high standard for my defense? Lol. ABSO-***CING-LUTELY I have a high standard for this defense with this **** poor schedule!!! TF??!

And I love how you simply isolated LA Tech, when I gave you 6 other teams. ****, Fck 2019, since 2016 when we play hat on hat football, we get smoked. Somewhere GT and VT just ran for another TD. lol.

FOH w/ this coddling chit. Just b/c the offense has been worst the past TWO years, don't mean this defense hasn't been gashed from a physical standpoint every time the second third of the season rolls around. I had a whole thread that showed how starting at game 5, the defense has this alarming trend of getting real soft at the L.O.S. That has nothing to do w/ just strictly offense.
i get the point you trying to make but Vt ground game wasn’t like that. The qb had some key runs up the middle but they wasn’t just pounding the rock

4A486A09-592A-42A7-A31B-B144337FC6D4.jpeg

Playing devil's advocate here:

Baker did not throw 3 first half INTs vs VT
Baker did not miss a game-tying FG vs NC
Baker did not throw multiple INTs vs FIU
Baker did not muff a punt vs UF
Baker did not punt 11 times vs Duke
Baker did not allow a def & ST TD vs GT
Baker did not get shut out vs LT
We also **** the bed twice against Florida in the 4th when Carter and Finley picked off Franks. Unfortunately the pathetic offense couldn’t do anything.

Advertisement
i get the point you trying to make but Vt ground game wasn’t like that. The qb had some key runs up the middle but they wasn’t just pounding the rock

View attachment 117248

Bro; let me remind you.....the QB was a nobody. Literally that was his 1st start. Lol. The TE was a nobody! Like I’m not trying to change or make up chit; we played bad on defense that game, and promptly gave them the game on the very next possession we scored. Lol. I mean, I sit through games after the season just to take the emotions out of it to make sure I saw the right chit. Lol

Bro; let me remind you.....the QB was a nobody. Literally that was his 1st start. Lol. The TE was a nobody! Like I’m not trying to change or make up chit; we played bad on defense that game, and promptly gave them the game on the very next possession we scored. Lol. I mean, I sit through games after the season just to take the emotions out of it to make sure I saw the right chit. Lol
Those type games happen in this day in age of cfb. There is going to be at least one game where you have to win a shootout. The defense didn’t have a great game it’s going to happen. We all know what type defense diaz runs and the flaws that come with it.

It started w VT, which was our 5th game:
VT: 43 attempts for 153 yrds
We held our own against UVA the following week, then
GT: 45 attempts for 207 yrds
Pitt: 42 attempts for 176 yrds
Again, held our own against FSU the following week, then the wheels came off for the rest of the season
UL: 35 attempts for 168 yrds
FIU: 29 attempts for 137 yrds
Duke: 48 attempts for 131 yrds
LA Tech: 40 attempts for 174 yrds

We continued to get body blowed in 7 of our last 9 contest.
Again, stats on their own are just stats. This is what these teams scored offensively through roughly 3 1/2 quarters or even deeper into those games:

CMU-5 points
La Tech-7 points
GTech 7 points
Duke-13 points
Pitt-9 points
Virginia-6 points
FSU-10 points
BCU-0 points
UF-20 points
UNC-20 points

How differently do those games have played out had we put up 21,28 or even 30 points? What if we had just hit every chip shot FG and PAT or not turned the ball over 3-4 times straight offensively to start games?

Other than the FSU and Louisville games we NEVER got to watch our D just pin it's ears back and really wreak havoc. That's because nearly every game was a nail biter where we couldn't afford to take ANY real chances defensively.

Our D didn't choke. By the end of most game it was gassed, demoralized and operating on a high wire, literally having to play perfect football to get a win. That's why every drive, point and 4th down conversion was so magnified.

I think we’re getting off subject:

I can’t recall any poster ever, including myself saying the defense was solely responsible for the L’s we’ve taken. The offense was putrid; BUT, let’s stop fitting this narrative that Manny’s def is some victim here.

The def is not scott-free of making **** poor QBs look like future first round draft picks. The defense is not absolved for their inability to get off the field. Yes, the defense has been put in some tough spots, but we’re not talking about being put in tough spots against O$U, L$U, Bama, Meeechigan, UGA, we’re talking G5 schools and middling P5 schools.

Advertisement
I have an absolutely high standard for my defense? Lol. ABSO-***CING-LUTELY I have a high standard for this defense with this **** poor schedule!!! TF??!

And I love how you simply isolated LA Tech, when I gave you 6 other teams. ****, Fck 2019, since 2016 when we play hat on hat football, we get smoked. Somewhere GT and VT just ran for another TD. lol.

FOH w/ this coddling chit. Just b/c the offense has been worst the past TWO years, don't mean this defense hasn't been gashed from a physical standpoint every time the second third of the season rolls around. I had a whole thread that showed how starting at game 5, the defense has this alarming trend of getting real soft at the L.O.S. That has nothing to do w/ just strictly offense.

See UM's dline coach, whenever Manny's defense has been very good it has had an elite dline coach La Tech, MSU, and first three years at Miami; now enter Todd "a decade of Akron mediocrity" Stroud. That is all.

Go Canes

Remember the stunts on the DL?

The ones that helped us get to #4 in the nation in TFLs?

And #6 in sacks?

What about them?

Advertisement
Say whatever you want but if Penos’ offense was as good as Baker’s defense, Miami would have been 12-0 and there’s not even a discussion.

Enox was the worst OC in modern school history...

He should be way more hated on this board than he is, but surprisingly he isn't.
If it's any consolation, I can't stand the guy. When I, an admitted fan with little knowledge of X's and O's can see that you need to call plays that keep pressure off the QB but this offensive genius can't and is making millions for it, you know where the problem lies.

This debate went on all last year.Everybody agrees that Manny is almost certainly not the guy, but some can't even give him a single victory anywhere in the program.

Advertisement
Enos is right up there with my most hated football people, not Terry Porter level but pretty high.

I think it’s fair to say that the defense was good enough last year to accomplish our goal (winning the Coastal). We’re always going to have statistically good defenses under Manny (top 25) with the occasional elite units if we can bring in the high end talent, which the staff has shown they can’t do yet.

In my opinion, we’ve had 2 truly elite talents play on this defense (Willis in 2018 and Rousseau last year). They absolutely dominated. If we can add a few more at different levels along with the typical scheme fits and good players we bring in, this will turn into a top 5 unit year in and year out.

We took the lead vs UNC, VT and FIU(?) in the fourth - and the defense let them walk right down and score again. If I’m not mistaken, we can throw UF in there too. We gave up a massive bomb and allowed them to score in 4(?) plays.

This right here.

I don't think anyone disputes the situation the offense left the defense. But too often, with the game on the line, the defense let the other team move easily down the field to steal a win. Combine that with the poor 3rd down (and 4th down) efficiency, the defense regularly played soft when it was needed the most. They played mentally soft which is most uncharacteristic to past teams that most like to compare them to.

That alone changes a 6-6 regular season into a 9-3 regular season and most likely a coastal championship. It also means a whole different dynamic going into the bowl game and recruiting season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back