How is Blake Baker viewed among the players?

Advertisement
It’s funny as 37 responses later nobody has actually answered the original question as to how the players view Baker (unless you count the one comment made in jest about his beard being solid).

Instead and predictably it’s turned into a bash Baker fest.
Outside of maybe a couple of posters, nobody here knows how the players view Baker.

I know a lot of the players hated Enos. Does anyone have any idea what they think of Baker? He had some ups and downs but overall did a solid job in his first season calling plays in the power 5. His defense ranked

13th in Total Yards
17th in Rushing
17th in passing
23rd in points
4th in Tackles for loss
6th in Sacks

I would say he did a solid job considering we had one of the worst Offenses in football and rarely played complimentary football.
We shall see about Baker. Baker came in with a different situation as far as the defense is concerned. Manny had older veteran talent to work with than Baker, with the exception of the 3 amigos, but that was arguably their best years when they were freshmen. Baker had a young an inexperienced secondary which really hurt us in 3rd and 4th down situations. Let's see what type of jump they make this year in order to gauge how good Baker really is as a coordinator.

Advertisement
The only real physical running team we faced was Florida and we only gave up 24 points. We allowed a lot of points to VT but that's mainly because we had like 4 or 5 first half turnovers

I suggest you go find my post when I stated the last 7 of our 9 opponents ran the ball down our throats & it started w VT. Ppl say “oh giving up 3.5 yrd/carry is not bad.” Um, yeah it is when they are pounding u 40x/game b/c that means every 3rd down is 3rd & short and they are either rushing for a 1st down to keep the drive going or have the option to pass. The defense was constantly in no man’s land b/c our opponents had too many options w 3rd & short.

Advertisement
Playing devil's advocate here:

Baker did not throw 3 first half INTs vs VT
Baker did not miss a game-tying FG vs NC
Baker did not throw multiple INTs vs FIU
Baker did not muff a punt vs UF
Baker did not punt 11 times vs Duke
Baker did not allow a def & ST TD vs GT
Baker did not get shut out vs LT

N
I suggest you go find my post when I stated the last 7 of our 9 opponents ran the ball down our throats & it started w VT. Ppl say “oh giving up 3.5 yrd/carry is not bad.” Um, yeah it is when they are pounding u 40x/game b/c that means every 3rd down is 3rd & short and they are either rushing for a 1st down to keep the drive going or have the option to pass. The defense was constantly in no man’s land b/c our opponents had too many options w 3rd & short.
What were these 7 games?

Your point is??
Maybe it was "failure to adjust". :hammering-head:

Every team has down games. We turned the ball over 5 times in the first half. TEs were only open because our LBs failed to do there assignment.

Are we sure about that? It's been stated for years both Shaq and Pinckney were downhill not sideline to sideline players and dropping in coverage was their weaknesses. Maybe the LBs didn't have the speed to keep up in coverage … repeatedly. Once, I can buy, but after that … "failure to adjust". :hammering-head:

Advertisement
Playing devil's advocate here:

Baker did not throw 3 first half INTs vs VT
Baker did not miss a game-tying FG vs NC
Baker did not throw multiple INTs vs FIU
Baker did not muff a punt vs UF
Baker did not punt 11 times vs Duke
Baker did not allow a def & ST TD vs GT
Baker did not get shut out vs LT

dont forget the 13000 sacks allowed against UF

Advertisement
#s can be deceiving. I have Criticisms of diaz defense but it was clear baker wasn’t running it right or at least similar to how diaz did in most cases the last 3 years he did call the defense
Couple that with the questionable scheme on 4th and 17 vs UNC and the last drive vs VT. Both playing single high saftey and man underneath.

I feel that if we played a dime cover 2 or 3 on the last drive in both games, we win both.

Maybe it was "failure to adjust". :hammering-head:

Are we sure about that? It's been stated for years both Shaq and Pinckney were downhill not sideline to sideline players and dropping in coverage was their weaknesses. Maybe the LBs didn't have the speed to keep up in coverage … repeatedly. Once, I can buy, but after that … "failure to adjust". :hammering-head:

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. The best coordinators rarely put their players into a position to fail. They understand their players' strengths and weaknesses and adjust their philosophy and game plan to those maximize/exploit strengths and minimize/cover weaknesses. And even if they find themselves in a position where they mis-evaluated something initially and their players are being exposed, they adapt (by rotating players and adjusting their game plan). I'm not sure how much of that we did on either side of the ball last year.

A lot of posters on here remind me of poker players who six months later are still droning on and on and on about the bad beat they took for a big pot or to get knocked out of a tournament.

Chronic moping about 4th and 17 without considering the hundreds of other plays the D made all season to keep us in just about every game is a myopic mentality that limits ability to see the bigger picture in my opinion.

We started some limited and very inexperienced players at multiple key positions and we were still more than good enough to put us in a position to easily win double digit games.

It will be again next season as well.

Offense is and has been our problem for several seasons. Fix it and not even constant whiner guy will be *****ing about the D.

Advertisement
Back