How is Blake Baker viewed among the players?

Advertisement
To the original question--how is he viewed by the players--no one freaking knows, and honestly, who gives a ****? Whether they love him or hate him, doesn't matter.

We've had coaches the players loved that amounted to nothing. We've had coaches the players hated who produced. The question is does he put them in the best position to succeed?

There were some serious blunders during the season that stand out, i.e. 4th and 17, but that S blitz from the tarmac was a staple under Diaz long before Baker arrived. So I don't buy that Manny all of a sudden did something radical around the Virginia game that made things click.

If we step back from big negative plays that stand out, the defenses didn't do a bad job really, it was adequate. In fact, if the offense equalled the defense production, there isn't much of a conversation about year 1 at all. (Though the misses at CB are hurting us bad, see the early drives by UNC).

What is troubling still is the perception this staff has about analytics, and their ability to use them. For starters, we don't have a real science lab at the Hecht which can match the staffs at programs who do (so don't bother). Moreover, I didn't see a team that called games on either side of the ball that appeared to be playing the percentages. At times, it seemed more intent on giving them the middle finger. That's how 4th and 17 happens. That isn't a Baker thing alone, IMO.

N

What were these 7 games?
It started w VT, which was our 5th game:
VT: 43 attempts for 153 yrds
We held our own against UVA the following week, then
GT: 45 attempts for 207 yrds
Pitt: 42 attempts for 176 yrds
Again, held our own against FSU the following week, then the wheels came off for the rest of the season
UL: 35 attempts for 168 yrds
FIU: 29 attempts for 137 yrds
Duke: 48 attempts for 131 yrds
LA Tech: 40 attempts for 174 yrds

We continued to get body blowed in 7 of our last 9 contest.

Again, held our own against FSU the following week, then the wheels came off for the rest of the season

6 of those 7 games are offense was pure trash of turned the ball over several times. Are you sure Those numbers are accurate? How could we only give up 3.2 yards a carry and give up those numbers?

To the original question--how is he viewed by the players--no one freaking knows, and honestly, who gives a ****? Whether they love him or hate him, doesn't matter.

We've had coaches the players loved that amounted to nothing. We've had coaches the players hated who produced. The question is does he put them in the best position to succeed?

There were some serious blunders during the season that stand out, i.e. 4th and 17, but that S blitz from the tarmac was a staple under Diaz long before Baker arrived. So I don't buy that Manny all of a sudden did something radical around the Virginia game that made things click.

If we step back from big negative plays that stand out, the defenses didn't do a bad job really, it was adequate. In fact, if the offense equalled the defense production, there isn't much of a conversation about year 1 at all. (Though the misses at CB are hurting us bad, see the early drives by UNC).

What is troubling still is the perception this staff has about analytics, and their ability to use them. For starters, we don't have a real science lab at the Hecht which can match the staffs at programs who do (so don't bother). Moreover, I didn't see a team that called games on either side of the ball that appeared to be playing the percentages. At times, it seemed more intent on giving them the middle finger. That's how 4th and 17 happens. That isn't a Baker thing alone, IMO.
It’s crazy to think the impact missed FGs had on us. Multiple missed FGs against UF (enough to win), multiple kicks against UNC (including the game winner), and multiple FGs against VaTech. That alone would of won us the coastal and likely got us a rematch against UF in the Orange Bowl!

Advertisement
Here's a message to those who want to keep bashing garvin as if he was trash last year, learn football and also watch UM games not the stats after games. That man could've easily had double digits sacks last year at most of y'all would've been singing a different tune, there is a reason Greg rousseau got as many sacks as he did, alot of the sacks rousseau had, garvin was normally the second one or a step away from getting some of the same sacks, that's coming from the strong side, and sometimes he's was 1st. Green Bay got 1st round talent for the low on the low!

Yea, this thread went about as I figured it would when I saw OP.

People seem to forget how bad our O was, like historically bad. The fact that our defense kept us in most games when our offense was giving up a million sacks, turning the ball over left and right and couldn’t sustain a drive to save their lives is low key miraculous.

Our defense was repeatedly put in bad spots by the offense. Over and over. That’s going to wear on you over the course of a game and season.

With the huge steps I expect the O to step this year, our D is going to feast.

6 of those 7 games are offense was pure trash of turned the ball over several times. Are you sure Those numbers are accurate? How could we only give up 3.2 yards a carry and give up those numbers?
The run defense was very good. These opponents had huge carry numbers because the offense kept giving them possessions. If the offense consistently goes three and out and/or turns the ball over a ton, that’s giving the opponent more and more opportunities to run plays. The ridiculous standard that some people here have for the defense is laughable. They expect them to shut out every opponent no matter how many times the offense puts them in poor positions. They gave up 3.17 yards per rush. 8 teams did better than that in the entire nation.

You are only telling half the story. If we had a capable offense out defense would’ve been on the field a fraction of the number of snaps.

Any defense has to alter its aggressiveness and will eventually give up plays if the O goes three and out literally every possession.

Advertisement
You are only telling half the story. If we had a capable offense out defense would’ve been on the field a fraction of the number of snaps.

Any defense has to alter its aggressiveness and will eventually give up plays if the O goes three and out literally every possession.

No, I'm telling the defensive story. The defense was just as culpable for their inability to get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. The offense for sure, w/o a shadow of a doubt was a chit show, but let's not act like our defense has been this all world unit, ESPECIALLY against this schedule.

There is NEVER an excuse for LA Tech to almost hang 200 on us on the ground in a bowl game w/ weeks to prepare. There is NEVER an excuse for a 2 win GT team to just run the ball down our throats. There is NEVER an excuse to make an unknown TE famous for VT. There is NEVER an excuse to give up 4th and 17 to a rookie QB in his 2nd game, ever. There is NEVER an excuse to allow FIU look like a competent P5 team. I don't give af if the O was giving you 3 and outs all day long. Our defense was SUPERIOR than any team we faced outside of UF. It's time for Manny and his staff to own some of this bull chit that's been going on. We've blown leads when it mattered, as well....and if CMU WRs could catch a darn ball, they would've won their game, too.

B/c we dominated UF, UNC, BCU, CMU, FSU, and UVA w/ their run game. We were stellar the first four games of the season, like dominant, and then after VT we went to chits.

Advertisement
Enox was the worst OC in modern school history...

He should be way more hated on this board than he is, but surprisingly he isn't.

U know why? B/c Manny hired him, Manny gassed up via social media, and Manny gassed him on his little "U Excerpts." The school spent $1m on this prick based on Manny's recommendation. That's why.

No, I'm telling the defensive story. The defense was just as culpable for their inability to get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. The offense for sure, w/o a shadow of a doubt was a chit show, but let's not act like our defense has been this all world unit, ESPECIALLY against this schedule.

There is NEVER an excuse for LA Tech to almost hang 200 on us on the ground in a bowl game w/ weeks to prepare. There is NEVER an excuse for a 2 win GT team to just run the ball down our throats. There is NEVER an excuse to make an unknown TE famous for VT. There is NEVER an excuse to give up 4th and 17 to a rookie QB in his 2nd game, ever. There is NEVER an excuse to allow FIU look like a competent P5 team. I don't give af if the O was giving you 3 and outs all day long. Our defense was SUPERIOR than any team we faced outside of UF. It's time for Manny and his staff to own some of this bull chit that's been going on. We've blown leads when it mattered, as well....and if CMU WRs could catch a darn ball, they would've won their game, too.
You realize that 100 of LT’s rushing yards came in the fourth quarter after the defense had spent the entire game on the field and finally ran out of gas? I don’t care how good your defense is, you eventually get tired. The best defense ever will eventually get worn out with no offensive help. Once again you have this absolutely ridiculous high standard for a defense that’s been very good while completely ignoring the offense that has been absolute trash.

Advertisement
You realize that 100 of LT’s rushing yards came in the fourth quarter after the defense had spent the entire game on the field and finally ran out of gas? I don’t care how good your defense is, you eventually get tired. The best defense ever will eventually get worn out with no offensive help. Once again you have this absolutely ridiculous high standard for a defense that’s been very good while completely ignoring the offense that has been absolute trash.

I have an absolutely high standard for my defense? Lol. ABSO-***CING-LUTELY I have a high standard for this defense with this **** poor schedule!!! TF??!

And I love how you simply isolated LA Tech, when I gave you 6 other teams. ****, Fck 2019, since 2016 when we play hat on hat football, we get smoked. Somewhere GT and VT just ran for another TD. lol.

FOH w/ this coddling chit. Just b/c the offense has been worst the past TWO years, don't mean this defense hasn't been gashed from a physical standpoint every time the second third of the season rolls around. I had a whole thread that showed how starting at game 5, the defense has this alarming trend of getting real soft at the L.O.S. That has nothing to do w/ just strictly offense.

Enox was the worst OC in modern school history...

He should be way more hated on this board than he is, but surprisingly he isn't.

It's two things. One, we only had to deal with him for a year, whereas the Pat Nix types got a mulligan or two.

The other is we've been etherized by so much incomprehensible offensive football that it just isn't the degree of failure it once was.

It's ironic that "we" couldn't wait to rid ourselves of Jedd Fisch, and then became the parade of ineptitude that you couldn't make up if you tried. Each subsequent "system" made you wish you had the last guy back.

Coley had one magazine full of Jimbo bullets, but when he ran out them he started shooting spitballs at a window.

The Richts played grab bag with Kaaya, but gave us a glimmer of hope towards the end of year 1, then one day they dropped all of it, and gave the FSU playbook of the 1990s with some RPOs but without the overwhelming talent advantage. It was crazy, there is a video of Mark Richt giving a clinic on crossing route concepts in the early 2000s, he didn't call one his entire time at UM. It was all RPOs or a downfield throw. I guess he missed the days when his offense went -1, - 3, 76 Yd TD?

Enos, I don't even know what to say. Someone paid him to tank. Only explanation. Play action, 7 step drop on 3rd and 11 with a true Freshman LT... And a million other inexplicable calls. Newsflash Manny, when a guy wants to leave Alabama to come work for you... Until proven otherwise, ⛳.

This stretch of offensive football was so bad, I'd have gleefully murdered entire tailgates with a spoon to have Jedd Fisch back, heck even Mark Whipple.

Playing devil's advocate here:

Baker did not throw 3 first half INTs vs VT
Baker did not miss a game-tying FG vs NC
Baker did not throw multiple INTs vs FIU
Baker did not muff a punt vs UF
Baker did not punt 11 times vs Duke
Baker did not allow a def & ST TD vs GT
Baker did not get shut out vs LT

We took the lead vs UNC, VT and FIU(?) in the fourth - and the defense let them walk right down and score again. If I’m not mistaken, we can throw UF in there too. We gave up a massive bomb and allowed them to score in 4(?) plays.

Advertisement
Back