How far the 2014 Roster goes with Mario and Staff?

YUMU

Recruit
I've been always curious of the 2014 roster potential. There were great NFL players on that team. We all know how bad the Coach and the DC was.

I like to hear how far you think that team would have advanced with Mario, Steele and whole staff.

I would love to have those Ol, WR, LB and DBs on this team. That's a playoff team right there with Staff and TVD.

Great OL with Feliciano, Flowers, Mc'Dermont.(2) and Darling
RB - Duke, Gus
WR - Dorsett, Stacey, Hurns
TE - Walford, Njoku

D - Burns, Bush, Carter, Chickillo, Elder, Tracy Howard, Jenkins, Al-Q, Peryman & Chad

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's a team with some structural problems. It only had 76 players.

At offensive line there were just 13 players. Defensive back was unusually thin - just 5 safeties and 6 cornerbacks.

1660516522610.png
1660516546493.png
1660516580619.png

Advertisement
I've been always curious of the 2014 roster potential. There were great NFL players on that team. We all know how bad the Coach and the DC was.

I like to hear how far you think that team would have advanced with Mario, Steele and whole staff.

I would love to have those Ol, WR, LB and DBs on this team. That's a playoff team right there with Staff and TVD.

Great OL with Feliciano, Flowers, Mc'Dermont.(2) and Darling
RB - Duke, Gus
WR - Dorsett, Stacey, Hurns
TE - Walford, Njoku

D - Burns, Bush, Carter, Chickillo, Elder, Tracy Howard, Jenkins, Al-Q, Peryman & Chad
Same the roster has plenty holes. I hate these type of questions but hey it is what it is. Where are the pro bowlers is my question...those guys are getting NFL coaching now not golden coaching and their games are basically the same since they left here. Please help me anyone.

Same the roster has plenty holes. I hate these type of questions but hey it is what it is. Where are the pro bowlers is my question...those guys are getting NFL coaching now not golden coaching and their games are basically the same since they left here. Please help me anyone.
10 linebackers and 6 cornerbacks

Even though it’s right in front of my face I don’t believe it

Gray Crow lmfao
Gray was necessary for depth purposes, and it was not as if he was the lowest rated quarterback we signed. He actually had a slightly higher rating than Stephen Morris, and was ranked higher than eight other quarterbacks that we've signed since 2008.

Advertisement
A LOT of NFL guys there!! Dang even some of the backups like Thurston, Huertelou, Gunther, Pierre, Waters collected quite a few NFL checks!!

Yea that roster is meh I know people don't want to admit it cause they love the team. It's an ok roster and when u see the NFL development of these guys most of em ain't pan out into real old Miami caliber studs.

Yea that roster is meh I know people don't want to admit it cause they love the team. It's an ok roster and when u see the NFL development of these guys most of em ain't pan out into real old Miami caliber studs.
It’s one of the better rosters we’ve had in the past 15 years. Some positions, like DT, were atrocious and had a bunch of Golden JUCO reaches … but it’s real solid and above average in other spots, namely the OL to protect cement feet. And Kaaya is our second best QB in the last two decades - wish he would’ve stuck around for that senior year.

Advertisement
That you Gray?
Jokes aside I was fine with Miami signing Crow, Dewey, and Thompson in 2012. The Hurricanes had only recruited ONE quarterback in the 2009, 2010, and 2011 cycles - Stephen Morris. We desperately needed depth, and at the same time no top tier quarterbacks would touch Miami in year one of the Shapiro mess. The hope was that we would hit on one of them like Miami hit on Morris (who was ranked a hair below Crow but above the other two).

Eleven total defensive backs.

TEN LINEBACKERS AND ELEVEN TOTAL DBS. MAN YOU CANT EVEN BUILD A ROSTER LIKE THAT IN FANTASY FOOTBALL, THE APP WONT ALLOW IT

(as an aside, I have come to believe one of the earliest tells that a HC is in over his head is poor roster management. Not a single really good HC I know of fails at this, not for more than a year at least, and many, many, many bad ones do. I remember some year Butch Jones or Derrick Dooley took like 1 OL in a class, the entire city of Knoxville knew he wasn’t the guy.)

Advertisement
This team was not strong in two very important areas; QB and DL. Brad Kayaa won the starting job as a freshman without being an EE. His career may have been different if he was afforded the time to mature like TVD. Chad Thomas, David Njoku, and K.C. were all freshman. This entire board thought Berrios was a JAG at this point in his college career. He didn’t really turn the corner until 2017. The problem with looking back at teams like this is that we remember these players in their best versions. We forget that the FR/SO versions were closer to high school players than the NFL players many would become.

Last edited:
This team was not strong in two very important areas; QB and DL. Brad Kayaa won the starting job as a freshman without being an EE. His career may have been different if he was afforded the time to mature like TVD. Chad Thomas, David Njoku, and K.C. were all freshman. This entire board thought Berrios was a JAG at this point in his college career. He didn’t really turn the corner until 2017. The problem with looking back at teams like this is that we remember these players in their best versions. We forget that the FR/SO versions were closer to high school players than the NFL players many would become.
Excellent point. You look at the list and see Njoku and think first round pick - but then realize that this was the freshman version.

Advertisement
Back