How far the 2014 Roster goes with Mario and Staff?

Should've been an 8 win team.

We were 6-3 going into FSU game. We both choked & Dalvin Cook stole our manhood in that game. The team quit down the stretch to end 6-7.

Advertisement
Jokes aside I was fine with Miami signing Crow, Dewey, and Thompson in 2012. The Hurricanes had only recruited ONE quarterback in the 2009, 2010, and 2011 cycles - Stephen Morris. We desperately needed depth, and at the same time no top tier quarterbacks would touch Miami in year one of the Shapiro mess. The hope was that we would hit on one of them like Miami hit on Morris (who was ranked a hair below Crow but above the other two).
2009-2012 were the worst QB recruiting classes I can remember us having ever. Morris did a great job. We did need the depth for sure. In 2013 Kevin Olson was the highest rated QB we recruited since Kyle Wright and ended up being a mental midget. 2014 I remember the battle going into the season was between true fresh Kaaya and red shirt senior Ryan Williams. I recall Williams being injured on the spring factoring into the decision to start Kaaya. The team mostly wanted Williams and it divided the locker room etc..
I’m very grateful for our current depth and ability to let players develop. It’s day and night in comparison to those ultra thin rosters in the folden days.

2009-2012 were the worst QB recruiting classes I can remember us having ever. Morris did a great job. We did need the depth for sure. In 2013 Kevin Olson was the highest rated QB we recruited since Kyle Wright and ended up being a mental midget. 2014 I remember the battle going into the season was between true fresh Kaaya and red shirt senior Ryan Williams. I recall Williams being injured on the spring factoring into the decision to start Kaaya. The team mostly wanted Williams and it divided the locker room etc..
I’m very grateful for our current depth and ability to let players develop. It’s day and night in comparison to those ultra thin rosters in the folden days.
Indeed, although I would add that 2003-2006 were equally bad if not worse. In four cycles we added just one quarterback - Kirby Freeman. I think we had a two star in Steagal but he went to baseball im short order. Every quarterback that Coker seemed to have locked down, such as Pat Devlin backed out on the 11th hour.

Hard to imagine going years without adding adding a quarterback, or rolling into a season (2009) with just one quarterback on roster.

Indeed, although I would add that 2003-2006 were equally bad if not worse. In four cycles we added just one quarterback - Kirby Freeman. I think we had a two star in Steagal but he went to baseball im short order. Every quarterback that Coker seemed to have locked down, such as Pat Devlin backed out on the 11th hour.

Hard to imagine going years without adding adding a quarterback, or rolling into a season (2009) with just one quarterback on roster.
In hindsight those 2003-2006 recruiting classes was the beginning of the end. Coker handed Shannon an empty cupboard at QB had to start Marve/Jacory as true freshman.

Yea that roster is meh I know people don't want to admit it cause they love the team. It's an ok roster and when u see the NFL development of these guys most of em ain't pan out into real old Miami caliber studs.
Nobody said they would win a national title.

They would have been a lot better though.

We had a quarterback with D1 experience but threw Kaaya to the wolves.

With this staff and Ryan Williams, we win at least three more games.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back