How Do We Fix The O-Line?

Advertisement
There is no fixing this line. We heard all camp that the interior would be the strength. They got their butts handed to them too. So you can play musical chairs all you want, but clearly we have sub par talent. Only way to address it for now is schematically.

At least Nelson wasn't penalized 7 times the way Campbell was. Need a new RT before anything else.

I actually told somebody that Campbell should buy Zion dinner, if not for him Campbell would be getting destroyed.

As I said before the season, we are feeling the effects of a goose egg in the 2016 transition OL class. Having UF in the first game and going against two fourth-year DEs exposed that gap.

By any objective measure (NFL, star ratings), we will have more OL talent than any team on our schedule. But we are young at a position that requires age. The true test will be the progress over the course of the season.

We started a true freshman that gained 50 lbs since he last played live football. If Nelson was our best option than our OL is completely awful. We don't recruit from the NFL so the evaluation needs to factor that we need guys ready to play no more than two years out of high school. Alabama doesn't win because they develop guys into college talent in four or five years, they win because they recruit guys that are ready in one or two years.

Advertisement
Florida’s Oline had less experience than ours yet looked light years ahead of us. Something is truly wrong with this picture. Florida’s DL isn’t that good. Apparently, neither is our DL either.

Florida’s Oline had less experience than ours yet looked light years ahead of us. Something is truly wrong with this picture. Florida’s DL isn’t that good. Apparently, neither is our DL either.

They ran for 1.9 yards per carry and nearly gave us the game when they tried to throw. Their OL didn’t do anything. My only beef is that we were so concerned with their running game that we overplayed Patchan at the expense of our better rushers.

This. Let the tackles learn on the job and hope Barry is worth a **** as a coach.

Gaynor was arguably worse than the tackles. Straight **** pushed in up the middle.

I'd look at trying someone else at center before LT or RT.

Gaynor got abused. His poor performance really stood out. I wonder if he was reading the D incorrectly when he was calling out protection.

Advertisement
They ran for 1.9 yards per carry and nearly gave us the game when they tried to throw. Their OL didn’t do anything. My only beef is that we were so concerned with their running game that we overplayed Patchan at the expense of our better rushers.

Their OL only gave up 1 sack and gave Franks plenty of time to do damage when they needed it. They also kept the TFL to a minimum. To say they didn’t do anything is a bit of a reach especially in comparison to our OL’s performance.

My solution to help fix the problem (our OL wont be great this year but it can be at least average):

- Move Scaife to LT
- Move Campbell to guard
- Move Nelson to RT

While Nelson gave up more sacks (I believe) than Campbell I though he was better than Campbell and looked far more athletic, his get off was just bad. I think with these changes and more shotgun we could salvage the OL

Advertisement
Scaife needs to be moved to T for the rest of the season. I think Gaynor gets better as the year goes on hopefully. Bench Campbell, put Reed at G, and help Zion with a tight end.

And most other teams, including the team that blew Alabama out in the championship, need time to develop their young OL.

The time isn't four or five years, it's two. Alabama OL got beat by an NFL DL that doesn't exist this year.

According to 247sports none of the top 10 OT's for 2020 are coming to Miami and only 1 is from Florida (Dumervile). Not a single top 10 OG from 2020 is coming to Miami and none are fromm Florida. Not a single top 10 center from 2020 is coming to Miami and none are from Florida.

To summarize out of the top 10 OT, OG and C none are coming to Miami and only one is from Florida. We need to recruit better talent and not rely on projects like Nelson and Hillery

Advertisement
Their OL only gave up 1 sack and gave Franks plenty of time to do damage when they needed it. They also kept the TFL to a minimum. To say they didn’t do anything is a bit of a reach especially in comparison to our OL’s performance.

To his credit, Franks did escape at least three sacks.

Dmoney is right. We are just super young. UF realized about the end of the first quarter that the OTs were overmatched and they just pinned their ears back. Misdirection would have been nice and Enos NEEDS to understand he doesn't have Bama or Arkansas quality OL.
I think he realizes it. I think he also realized he doesn't have many options. There's not much you can scheme around with consistent inside pressure.

Less starting experience but way more years of practice and improvement. To me that’s the crux of the issue. If you sign guys with feet who can block and then spend 2-3 years developing them you have a program churning out offensive linemen who can play. If you start every freshman or sophomore that practices well and then destroy their development and then expect next year’s freshmen to plug the holes you are screwed.

Advertisement
Back