How Do We Fix The O-Line?

Good thread.

I think the main culprit is youth.

All the key players of the operation are young.

Florida was jumping the snap on a lot of their edge pressure.

We were probably tipping our hand.

As the guys get more experience, we can break the huddle faster and switch up the cadence.

Before I panic and move anybody, I’d see how they respond with coaching.

If we haven’t made any improvements, then we probably have no choice but to shuffle.

Kick out Scaife to RT.

Honestly, Campbell was worse then Zion.

Only one of our Top 10 OL is an upperclassman. No seniors. This line will basically be together for at three years.

Advertisement
If people want to think "UF has the best DL we'll face outside of Clemson", fine.

But that is a trash performance indicative of major systemic issues we will deal with all year long. 16 TFLs is absolutely unheard of. 11 sacks? I can't recall the last time we ever gave 11 sacks. Every team on our schedule is licking its chops for a chance to go up against our tackles. This isn't because of UF's dominance but more our lack of talent on the line and we're going to see that come two weeks from now when we play a sorry UNC team and I guarantee they're going to get several sacks.
Vs vt a couple years ago they gave up 13tfls and 8 sacks.

Advertisement
Vs vt a couple years ago they gave up 13tfls and 8 sacks.
I just checked. 8 sacks and 12 TFLs.

So we actually did noticeably worse than that last night. It was simply too much of a mismatch to think it will magically fix itself this year.

LT Scaife / Zion
LG Reed / Hillery
C Clark / Kennedy
RG Gaynor / Campbell
RT Donaldson / Herbert
We have tried Donaldson at Tackle. It was a disaster. How about schemes to protect this vulnerability. Ever heard of chipping, inside tackle zone, that's just a couple of points. I'm sure there are others. We must assist the tackle until we recruit the player for this position.

We need some more weight in the middle... Scaife is too light to play guard, only 300lbs we need another Donaldson type 340 plus.

LT Scaife / Zion
LG Reed / Hillery
C Clark / Kennedy
RG Gaynor / Campbell
RT Donaldson / Herbert

Any depth chart with Kennedy on it is a FAIL.

But I like the idea of Clark starting at Center...

LT - Scaife
LG - Donaldson
C - Clark
RG - Gaynor
RT - Zion

2nd team doesn’t matter as long as Kennedy isn’t on it... they won’t be playing much this year.

Advertisement
I just checked. 8 sacks and 12 TFLs.

So we actually did noticeably worse than that last night. It was simply too much of a mismatch to think it will magically fix itself this year.
No the tackles aren't going to be great this year. The question is can they get them to at least average? We have to fake it till we make it.

Last edited:
We need some more weight in the middle... Scaife is too light to play guard, only 300lbs we need another Donaldson type 340 plus.
He has enough size. Uf starting DTs were 304 and 275. Braun who was at gt but transferred to texas was playing guard at 285.

We got to try scaife at left tackle at this point. I think Campbell can develop into something but he did have like 4-5 penalties and got beat a few times. Nelson looks unplayable honestly. Insert Cleveland reed at rg and move scaife to left tackle
If you think Zion is unplayable then Campbell definitely is too.

Scaife at T is an option to seriously consider during the bye week.

People don’t want to hear this, but a huge part of the problem is just youth. Out of the 10 OL in the the two-deep, there is only one junior and no seniors. That is an insanely young group.
Guard is Scaife's best position. Any idea how he graded out yesterday?

Advertisement
My first uh-oh of the Diaz era was McKinney saying publicly our offensive line had no technique after Diaz and Butch applauded their improvement.

How about waiting more than one ******* game before wanting to change to guys that got beat out by freshman? Wtf do you want to see of Hillery, Reed and Herbert who have done nothing here? Always the same stupidity wanting guys who got beat out as though they are magically better... from what? They improved watching last night. Let this line ******* yell by beatin* up on UNC, Bethune; and that other cupcake before Vtech and then you can judge.
Vtech is a cupcake as well this season

Good thread.

I think the main culprit is youth.

All the key players of the operation are young.

Florida was jumping the snap on a lot of their edge pressure.

We were probably tipping our hand.

As the guys get more experience, we can break the huddle faster and switch up the cadence.

Before I panic and move anybody, I’d see how they respond with coaching.

If we haven’t made any improvements, then we probably have no choice but to shuffle.

Kick out Scaife to RT.

Honestly, Campbell was worse then Zion.
When we start a 2* true frosh at LT, it is possible the main issue is youth. It’s also possible he’s a 2* and not good enough. Or both. Maybe he’ll develop, but contending this is just about youth kinda misses the point, IMO. Where are the people who should have started ahead of him?

Advertisement
When we start a 2* true frosh at LT, it is possible the main issue is youth. It’s also possible he’s a 2* and not good enough. Or both. Maybe he’ll develop, but contending this is just about youth kinda misses the point, IMO. Where are the people who should have started ahead of him?

Well, sure.

But Leon Searcy is not walking through that door. Bryant McKinnie is not walking through that door.

I’m just thinking about practical solutions for year one.

Ultimately, we need more talent, but I doubt last night’s performance was the ceiling of this unit.

IMO lack of guys who can play at this level, this year, this week, is a talent issue. Maybe in a couple years they’ll be better. Maybe not. We do not know. But games are played with what you got, and what we got aint good enough on OL. We should all agree with that.

The man you are quoting has gone on the record saying that our starting left tackle looked like Tyron Smith, to him. Last night, that left tackle gave up more sacks in one night than Tyron Smith has given up in his life. You and I both know that there are serious talent issues on the offensive line, but some people ain't gonna want to hear it and they are going to do mental gymnastics to justify their takes.

Proof was in the pudding last night. This fanbase needs to stop pumping sunshine up their own asses. We're on Year 16 of this nonsense. Some insanity is running wild over this fanbase at this point.

People are going to rail on WhatTheHell's kind of racist interpretation of Manny in blackface...but his point that we may be revisiting the Randy Shannon years is something to be concerned about.

Advertisement
Back