How did Manny Diaz get hired?

It’s the equivalent of me threatening to leave my wife for Kate Upton unless she provides an every other day blowy.

Manny somehow used absolutely zero leverage into the Miami job

Advertisement
He got fired as a DC at Texas.

He was supposedly Temple’s 4th choice for the job.

Richt seemingly didn’t take any kind of buyout. (If there was a negotiated buyout, then nothing about it’s been leaked.)

Richt had made the job more attractive with the IPF, higher assistant salaries and decent recruiting until the 2019 fiasco.
right on cue ... the Downvote Debbys crawled all over this one ... lol

The BOT sat in the meeting room for 5 minutes in complete silence...

Then Blake said, "What about Manny Diaz?"

They all then looked at each other & slowly nodded like, "okay, sounds good... Nice call Blake"

Then they all left as fast as possible & headed straight the Golf course & off to vacation on their yachts.
Lol

Welcome to the forum Blake, hope you don't mind my avatar
BJ WIPE.gif

Advertisement
Well, if we are willing to delve into the world of reality for a brief moment, lets recap:

1, Diaz had successfully coordinated the defense to (a) high levels nationally, (b) handled the only side of the ball that had ANY sort of national buzz; (c) young coach with energy;
2. That we( non insiders ) know of, no big names were available or interested. do you think that Meyer would consider us? Stoops? Gruden( oh ,wait, he took the Raiders job)?.
3. Richt quit DEc 30, 2018; Second signing day was 5 weeks away;
4. We were 7-6 and got embarrassed by Wisconsin 2 days earlier; think there were " big names" lining up to come here?
5The REAL Boss at UM, President Frenk, was/ is a fan. So for all those ripping Blake James for this hire, you have very little understanding of who is in charge at the University.

Now I have ZERO idea who are/ were " up and coming , hot shot coordinators " out there, and obviously a national search committee would have taken its time and vetted a bunch of names. None of us have ANY idea of who would have been eventually hired if not Manny but im pretty sure it would have been a SIMILAR hire- young, successful coordinator with no HC experience.

Not saying this was the right decision- maybe it was and maybe not- but there was logic and basis for this hire, not some knee jerk 5 minute response by the BOT , AD and University President.

Actually Richt’s late departure was probably a good thing with the new recruiting format. If he had announced his departure at the end of the regular season, it would have been about 3 weeks before the real signing day, and James would pretty much have to rush to find a replacement. Since Richt retired after the real signing day, there was really no clock James was working against.

Last edited:
Well, if we are willing to delve into the world of reality for a brief moment, lets recap:

5The REAL Boss at UM, President Frenk, was/ is a fan. So for all those ripping Blake James for this hire, you have very little understanding of who is in charge at the University.

Not saying this was the right decision- maybe it was and maybe not- but there was logic and basis for this hire, not some knee jerk 5 minute response by the BOT , AD and University President.
LOL! If CIS was septic tank of ****** posts this **** would rise right to the top.

Are you really suggesting Frenk hired Manny? LOl And you know this how?

Advertisement

They all then looked at each other & slowly nodded like, "okay, sounds good... Nice call Blake"

Then they all left as fast as possible & headed straight the Golf course & off to vacation on their yachts.
:q3xkxex:

Probably closer to reality than we'd want to admit.

Richt seemingly didn’t take any kind of buyout. (If there was a negotiated buyout, then nothing about it’s been leaked.)

Richt had made the job more attractive with the IPF, higher assistant salaries and decent recruiting until the 2019 fiasco.

Why would Texas matter when that was several jobs ago? Also why would it matter when he was a good DC HERE?

Finally, maybe they felt them same thing our fan base did all offseason because they knew him. We all bought into Manny in the offseason. Our problem is that we forgot all of NCAA history that tells us first year coaches usually struggle year one.

Advertisement
All of you looking and wishing for a coach please tell me who would have really been that much of upgrade for Miami. Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer were not leaving their analyst seat while Dabo, Saban, Riley, and Jimbo are already busy. Pete Carroll is the only other coach in my opinion that could come out and make a difference. Other than them, everyone else would have been a big hope like Manny. At least Manny is only 6 games into his career. Sheesh let the man have a chance. I’m sure the guy you wanted, whoever he is, hasn’t won a championship yet either. So chill out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s like if you’re taking a test and you see a filled out test with answers filled in on the ground. They copied it answer for answer instead of checking for accuracy

"We are leaving no stone unturned in this head coaching search".......(for 48 hours).....

UM

I love how you can go back to posts the day before the Gator game and read people saying Diaz was “savage” and “El Jefe” and another Dabo. Now people are posting “WTF?! How could this have happened?! We could have hired anyone else in the world!!”

Advertisement
Back