How did Manny Diaz get hired?

There is NO logic or basis for the Diaz hire. Especially when one remembers that they didn't bother to call one candidate outside of Diaz. Blake James just hired the first name that came to mind, and the BOT, being the gutless bums they are went along with it. They hired Manny less than 12 hours after Richt did the school a solid and left with zero buyout. Miami had the best available opening, and didn't even bother to try to see if they could attract someone worth a ****. Merely suggesting Diaz should have been grounds for dismissal.

Advertisement
Well, if we are willing to delve into the world of reality for a brief moment, lets recap:

1, Diaz had successfully coordinated the defense to (a) high levels nationally, (b) handled the only side of the ball that had ANY sort of national buzz; (c) young coach with energy;
2. That we( non insiders ) know of, no big names were available or interested. do you think that Meyer would consider us? Stoops? Gruden( oh ,wait, he took the Raiders job)?.
3. Richt quit DEc 30, 2018; Second signing day was 5 weeks away;
4. We were 7-6 and got embarrassed by Wisconsin 2 days earlier; think there were " big names" lining up to come here?
5The REAL Boss at UM, President Frenk, was/ is a fan. So for all those ripping Blake James for this hire, you have very little understanding of who is in charge at the University.

Now I have ZERO idea who are/ were " up and coming , hot shot coordinators " out there, and obviously a national search committee would have taken its time and vetted a bunch of names. None of us have ANY idea of who would have been eventually hired if not Manny but im pretty sure it would have been a SIMILAR hire- young, successful coordinator with no HC experience.

Not saying this was the right decision- maybe it was and maybe not- but there was logic and basis for this hire, not some knee jerk 5 minute response by the BOT , AD and University President.

If a FBS AD didn't know to call guys like Bill Clark, Jay Norvell, even a young firebrand like Seth Littrell and at least see if there was interest, then they shouldn't be in that position. Stop making excuses for Blake. He had the best job available for the first and probably only time in program history. In other words, Miami had their pick of guys, there weren't any typical factory gigs open. You're telling me that Bill Clark wouldn't be interested in Miami? You're telling me that WVU is a better job? How about TTU? If you are going to poach someone, at least poach someone worth a ****. Miami is most likely paying Temple something for a guy that is by far the worst hire made by a Power 5 program last winter.

Maybe Diaz went to visit Serrano to get some help from Jobu ... lol

Maybe, the question I have to ask is whether Jobu helped Diaz learn to hit a curveball. Apparently he didn't help him in regards to anything that has to do with managing a program.

He got fired as a DC at Texas.

He was supposedly Temple’s 4th choice for the job.

Richt seemingly didn’t take any kind of buyout. (If there was a negotiated buyout, then nothing about it’s been leaked.)

Richt had made the job more attractive with the IPF, higher assistant salaries and decent recruiting until the 2019 fiasco.

Diaz should have never gotten the UM job. History has shown from Coker, Shannon and now Diaz it is never smart to hire within from guys who just aren't ready to be HC. I was so happy when Richt stepped down cause it speed up process but I was greatly disappointed that Diaz was zero in as the number 1 guy. Just a waste and another 3-4 years down the drain for the program

Advertisement
If a FBS AD didn't know to call guys like Bill Clark, Jay Norvell, even a young firebrand like Seth Littrell and at least see if there was interest, then they shouldn't be in that position. Stop making excuses for Blake. He had the best job available for the first and probably only time in program history. In other words, Miami had their pick of guys, there weren't any typical factory gigs open. You're telling me that Bill Clark wouldn't be interested in Miami? You're telling me that WVU is a better job? How about TTU? If you are going to poach someone, at least poach someone worth a ****. Miami is most likely paying Temple something for a guy that is by far the worst hire made by a Power 5 program last winter.
Forgetting Mario,
No call to Matt Campbell, Dino Babers or Mike Norvell or even Chuck Pagano.

then yes you pay $4million to Temple to get Manny a unproven nobody HC who has had a decent to good defense playing trash offenses but getting stomped against legit teams. Never has been known as a recruiter. Linebackers he has coached for 4 yrs basically look the same as when they were FR. And U have not recruited anyone in 4 yrs to challenge them.

Miami is basically SC with Clay Helton as HC.

Forgetting Mario,
No call to Matt Campbell, Dino Babers or Mike Norvell or even Chuck Pagano.

then yes you pay $4million to Temple to get Manny a unproven nobody HC who has had a decent to good defense playing trash offenses but getting stomped against legit teams. Never has been known as a recruiter. Linebackers he has coached for 4 yrs basically look the same as when they were FR. And U have not recruited anyone in 4 yrs to challenge them.

Miami is basically SC with Clay Helton as HC.

MATT CAMPBELL ISNT COMING HERE. he had signed an extension at ISU and turned down NFL interviews to stay there.

Advertisement
The BOT sat in the meeting room for 5 minutes in complete silence...

Then Blake said, "What about Manny Diaz?"

They all then looked at each other & slowly nodded like, "okay, sounds good... Nice call Blake"

Then they all left as fast as possible & headed straight the Golf course & off to vacation on their yachts.
Call, "make the easy hire ever time". Even JJ was the easy hire because he asked for it then Sam was looking for suggestions. Denis was a nobody given unfathomable talent. Butch was about the only one willing to take the job. Players picked Coker, Donna went minority hire and Randy looked like a good one. Mark got dumped on them and Manny was as above. Considering they might have actually work on Golden maybe we should be happy they don't care. Howard was the only serious hire we have made, maybe ever. Took serious money to get him and his resume coaching bloodline were unmatched. But is was desperate move to avoid shutting the program down.

Richt seemingly made a deal with the admin that he’d step down without a buyout if Manny Diaz was hired as his successor.

I don’t see why so few people seem to realize that Richt’s departure for free and Manny’s hiring are actually connected.

This thread is what i call “Angry Jerking”....

What does that mean? It means a bunch of angry fans jerking their little peeners to a bunch of imaginary stories about past and current coaches and AD’s that they know sh*T about— just to fantasize how they are the supreme experts about college coaching....

And every angry jerker who jerks the other guys peener causes them orgasmic pleasure to agree with each other...”yeah bro Diaz SUCKS! Fire him now!”

Let’s bring REALITY back into your heads and take your hands off the J&J lotion bottle....

Diaz is a proven football coach on D.

He’s young and has the kind of aggressive fire the Canes have needed for years.

Yes he’s unproven as a HC— but many programs are now giving the young guns a 2-4 year run to see if they can be the next Dabo. They do it in the NFL as well.

A coaching hire is an investment— you expect it to take some time to return value.... unless there is some major drama— Diaz is here for at least 3 yrs or unless he leaves for a better gig.

End of story....so stop your angry jerking...your ***** will thank you.

so mario wouldnt be a good hire by that logic since he was fired at FIU.

1st I never campaigned for Mario and being fired as a HC from another team is completely Different from hiring from within

Last edited:
Advertisement
This thread is what i call “Angry Jerking”....

What does that mean? It means a bunch of angry fans jerking their little peeners to a bunch of imaginary stories about past and current coaches and AD’s that they know sh*T about— just to fantasize how they are the supreme experts about college coaching....

And every angry jerker who jerks the other guys peener causes them orgasmic pleasure to agree with each other...”yeah bro Diaz SUCKS! Fire him now!”

Let’s bring REALITY back into your heads and take your hands off the J&J lotion bottle....

Diaz is a proven football coach on D.

He’s young and has the kind of aggressive fire the Canes have needed for years.

Yes he’s unproven as a HC— but many programs are now giving the young guns a 2-4 year run to see if they can be the next Dabo. They do it in the NFL as well.

A coaching hire is an investment— you expect it to take some time to return value.... unless there is some major drama— Diaz is here for at least 3 yrs or unless he leaves for a better gig.

End of story....so stop your angry jerking...your ***** will thank you.

I agree that we’ll be stuck with Manny for a minimum of 3 years. But that doesn’t mean that he deserved to even coach 1 game.

Well, if we are willing to delve into the world of reality for a brief moment, lets recap:

1, Diaz had successfully coordinated the defense to (a) high levels nationally, (b) handled the only side of the ball that had ANY sort of national buzz; (c) young coach with energy;
2. That we( non insiders ) know of, no big names were available or interested. do you think that Meyer would consider us? Stoops? Gruden( oh ,wait, he took the Raiders job)?.
3. Richt quit DEc 30, 2018; Second signing day was 5 weeks away;
4. We were 7-6 and got embarrassed by Wisconsin 2 days earlier; think there were " big names" lining up to come here?
5The REAL Boss at UM, President Frenk, was/ is a fan. So for all those ripping Blake James for this hire, you have very little understanding of who is in charge at the University.

Now I have ZERO idea who are/ were " up and coming , hot shot coordinators " out there, and obviously a national search committee would have taken its time and vetted a bunch of names. None of us have ANY idea of who would have been eventually hired if not Manny but im pretty sure it would have been a SIMILAR hire- young, successful coordinator with no HC experience.

Not saying this was the right decision- maybe it was and maybe not- but there was logic and basis for this hire, not some knee jerk 5 minute response by the BOT , AD and University President.

^^THIS

Thanks for writing it all out so I didn't have to.

Not sure how much weight I put into #5 and Frenk being behind the move, but agree wholeheartedly on the first four.

Would love to know where all these up-and-coming hot shots are kicking down Miami's door. News flash; there aren't a lot of viable options out there—and the ones that exist will prefer to go to an actual college town, for undying fan support and the collegiate experience more than they want to be in a pro town like Miami.

Miami would've been "searching" right up until NSD and still might've struck out. 2019 class would've been decimated. Seniors like Quarterman and Pinckney would've 100% bailed.

Defensive side of the ball was in great shape. Offense was a mess. Hardly a stretch to promote the architect of the defense to take over, revamping the offense.

The fact this clown brings up "Fired as Texas DC"—yet doesn't mention a three-year revamp as Miami's DC is typical anti-Diaz case-building. Diaz was a scapegoat for a flailing Mack Brown as his era with the Longhorns was in a free fall.

Beyond that, dude rebuilt his career and earned the Miami DC job.

Jimmy Johnson was a perennial 6-5 guy at Oklahoma State—who never beat Nebraska or Oklahoma—when Miami hired him.That worked out just fine. People need to f*cking stop whining and let **** play out already.

Same idiot mindset had people trying to run Butch off year three, as well.

Advertisement
There is zero equivalency between the Johnson hire and the Diaz hire. Zero, none.

Both ADs that hired JJ, at OK St and Miami are a thousand times better than Blake is. Blake is the worst. BTW, at the time Jimmy was a OK St, Nebraska and Oklahoma were perennially among the the best teams in the nation. Not many teams did beat them. Jankovich hires beat them. We need another AD like him.

There is zero equivalency between the Johnson hire and the Diaz hire. Zero, none.

Both ADs that hired JJ, at OK St and Miami are a thousand times better than Blake is. Blake is the worst. BTW, at the time Jimmy was a OK St, Nebraska and Oklahoma were perennially among the the best teams in the nation. Not many teams did beat them. Jankovich hires beat them. We need another AD like him.

Oklahoma State was a much tougher job before T Boone Pickens.

I do think that in todays world, WVU and Texas Tech are in our weight class as desireable jobs. Our name is obviously better but in coaching ranks my guess its a coin flip.

Solid response. I have a question. Hypothetical of course and probably absurd. That said, I’ll ask anyway. Due to the timing could UM have said listen we need a guy as a stop gap. Grab him and if it works cool, if not we’ll get the feelers our for the next guy. The thought being, we have sucked for so long what is another two years and maybe we get lucky. Could they be “looking” now for the right guy? I know, absurd but I’m bored.

Well, that may very well be the case with Diaz. We have no idea as to buyout, scaling of pay, etc. If it doesnt work out maybe it is an easy get out?

Advertisement
Back