"How can we compete with Clemson?"

Advertisement
This thread really didnt age well. Clemson just passed us so I guess we can lock this fail of a thread.
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

They won a championship with those classes in the OP.

bagdad-bob.jpg

Advertisement
This thread really didnt age well. Clemson just passed us so I guess we can lock this fail of a thread.

A signing day like this is very bad for business. Dmoney/Andrew are just reaching trying to keep as many people around as possible.

The fact they let DSJr become a self proclaimed insider just goes to show they just wanted page views.

But to answer the question. How can we compete with Clemson? We currently cant.

Recruiting rankings since Dabo Swinney became head coach:

2009: 36th
2010: 27th
2011: 10th
2012: 20th
2013: 15th
2014: 16th
2015: 9th
2016: 11th
2017: 16th
2018: 7th

Our class is currently ranked 5th, higher than any class in Dabo's career.

Losing the Heritage CBs was a huge failure. This class was a tremendous success.

DMo,

I get your point, and in a vacuum it’s okay. The reality though is that Dabo doesn’t coach in an area overrun with elite talent. What makes the defensive recruiting failures so brutal is that these kids are in our backyard where we have the most contact. A better comp would be how many Carolina kids did he lose out on?

We have 2 DB coaches, one with pre-existing relationships with these guys, and we can’t close. We have an elite DL coach and fiery DC, and we can’t close.

We were on the news for good reasons, had a cool TO chain thing going, and we couldn’t close.

With that much failure, if Richt doesn’t make changes, it’s going to be a rinse and repeat situation. Furthermore, if he doesn’t figure out that he needs to have his hands in the mix on the defensive side of the ball, it will be same scenario. He needs to be a head coach and not just an OC.

It’s in the nature of good CEOs to do these sorts of reviews constantly. If he doesn’t or can’t do it and history keeps repeating itself, Richt will never be the guy who becomes elite here plain and simple.

See my post and the other that's similar with average recruit ranking and get back to us. Otherwise, just keep repeating it with your head stuck in the sand and maybe, just maybe, you'll get someone to buy what you're selling with our recruiting supposedly being better.

Advertisement

Losing the Heritage CBs was a huge failure. This class was a tremendous success.

GTFOH with this garbage. Clemson kicked our *** on the field AND they have a higher ranked class this year.

And again, your rankings are misleading. I already broke it down on the page before, Clemson's classes the past 4 years based on quality of players is superior to that of this current class. A difference of more than 3 points per player per average. That is a substantial difference. It's the difference between NC caliber and a team that is 10th -15th best in the country.

A signing day like this is very bad for business. Dmoney/Andrew are just reaching trying to keep as many people around as possible.

The fact they let DSJr become a self proclaimed insider just goes to show they just wanted page views.

But to answer the question. How can we compete with Clemson? We currently cant.

I think they are trying to butter up the coaches so they will let them have another "insider" hang around the team. They need to do a lot of damage control after the pete fiasco.

dabo recruits in south carolina. We recruit in the top area in the country for hs football bar none. We could sh*t and have classes ranked in the top 10. I dont wanna recruit like clemson...with our current staff i wanna recruit like bama...because they arent out scheming anybody.

I still think this class is good though

Advertisement

And again, your rankings are misleading. I already broke it down on the page before, Clemson's classes the past 4 years based on quality of players is superior to that of this current class. A difference of more than 3 points per player per average. That is a substantial difference. It's the difference between NC caliber and a team that is 10th -15th best in the country.

The difference in those three points per player is a class average of a 4* recruit and 3* recruit, to put it into perspective. So, I do agree...very misleading.

I get your point, and in a vacuum it’s okay. The reality though is that Dabo doesn’t coach in an area overrun with elite talent.

If we're keeping it local, we got the top SoFla in 2017 (Ford), the top SoFla DT in 2018 (Nesta), the Top 2 SoFla LBs on our board in 2017 (Wilder and Steed), and the Top LB on our board in 2018 (Joyner). We also got the top pass rusher both years (Garvin and Rousseau).

The DB issue is real and a problem. But he's gotten enough premium talent (Bandy, Frierson, Hall, Blades, Ivey, the thumper safeties) that we should be good there with proper coaching.

Do I have concerns? Of course. We should have more depth and guys like Campbell are rare. But the hyperbole is too much for me in the shadow of the Golden era. A class like this gives you a chance to compete with the big boys, including Clemson. Now we need to stack them.

Valid point but Dabo is a younger coach who makes up for his lack of elite recruiting with X’s and O’s. His Offense is extremely effective and creative. His Defense is constantly performing at a high level. Those are traits that concern me about Richt.

Dabo is one of the best recruiters in the nation and their bag game is strong at clemson. He was known as an x's and o's corch before..he has no problem recruiting

Advertisement
Rankings don't tell the whole story.. Clemson consistently has hauled in more 5* elite/blue chip players than we have... that is what makes them elite

I get your point, and in a vacuum it’s okay. The reality though is that Dabo doesn’t coach in an area overrun with elite talent.

If we're keeping it local, we got the top SoFla in 2017 (Ford), the top SoFla DT in 2018 (Nesta), the Top 2 SoFla LBs on our board in 2017 (Wilder and Steed), and the Top LB on our board in 2018 (Joyner). We also got the top pass rusher both years (Garvin and Rousseau).

The DB issue is real and a problem. But he's gotten enough premium talent (Bandy, Frierson, Hall, Blades, Ivey, the thumper safeties) that we should be good there with proper coaching.

Do I have concerns? Of course. We should have more depth and guys like Campbell are rare. But the hyperbole is too much for me in the shadow of the Golden era. A class like this gives you a chance to compete with the big boys, including Clemson. Now we need to stack them.

And in 2016, 2017, 2018 we went 0-9 for kids from Dade and Broward who were the highest ranked in the state. 0-9? That is not just concerning, that is alarming. Sorry man, you are trying to spin this way more than it can actually be spun. You can't miss on the top 3 players, for the last 3 years running in Dade & Broward and not think that is not a huge concern. We have also only signed 1 kid who was ranked top 10 in the state of Florida for the past 3 years. So 1 of 30. Again, alarming, not concerning.

Here are Clemson's averages per player for the four years before they actually won the National Championship:

88.46 (2013)
88.09 (2014)
89.12 (2015)
90.30 (2016).

All lower than what Miami did today. A class this good gives you a chance to win championships. The rest is up to development and execution.

Well, #6. We had a good year, not great. Long time since Miami has had sustained success so I understand recruits not being 100% sold. Even Taggart can point to recent success, one really bad year in the midst of an impressive run by fsu. I think the faceplant at the end of the year hurt recruiting, especially the Pitt loss, which validated the criticism that Miami was just lucky. No shame losing to Clemson- given no qb and backups at a lot of positions I think we are closer than the score suggested. Then another flop in a home game against Wisconsin was another massive embarrassment.

I'm still waiting to see evidence that Richt has figured out why he couldn't win at UGA, a place he basically could get any player he wanted since shady UGA boosters handled the duffle bags (without his knowledge, of course). So far looking like a replay of his UGA tenure. We will be competitive for the ACC title every year. I am worried that's his ceiling.

Advertisement
Back