How can Malik Rosier take his game to the next level?

motorcitycane

Senior
We are all surprised by the Rosier we have seen this far. What needs to happen for him to evolve into an elite college QB?

What do you look forward to watching change in his game in the next few weeks as he continues to get more and more comfortable?

What can he do to earn one if the better QB ratings in the country?

Advertisement
To me he just looks like a gamer never gonna be elite just a straight winner though. Kinda reminds me of tahj Boyd the ab for Clemson a few yrs ago.

Rosier can take his game to the next level by doing three things:

First, consistently utilizing his legs -- like he did last week. It opens up a totally new dimension of our offense. Defenses now have to be weary of his legs, too, which opens up the passing game.

Second, going through his progressions so that he isn't predetermining where he wants to throw the football. If he can learn and adjust to scanning the whole field, this offense will become scary, especially when we go 5 wide. He has the arm strength to make every throw, and our skill players have the ability to beat almost any defender they face 1-on-1.

Third, ball placement. If Rosier can be a little more accurate on some of his throws, our playmakers will have the opportunity to get huge yards after the catch. Putting players in a position to catch and run is a staple of good quarterback play.

Overall, he's been a pleasant surprise, but I really do believe he can continue to get better. The things I outlined above, in my opinion, are where he should start. I believe in him!

Last edited:
Advertisement
We are all surprised by the Rosier we have seen this far. What needs to happen for him to evolve into an elite college QB?

What do you look forward to watching change in his game in the next few weeks as he continues to get more and more comfortable?

What can he do to earn one if the better QB ratings in the country?

Plenty he could do to be a better passer.
Last 2 games he is 27/60 and 5 TDs to 4 picks.

To me he just looks like a gamer never gonna be elite just a straight winner though. Kinda reminds me of tahj Boyd the ab for Clemson a few yrs ago.

Unless you have a crystal ball to look in the future, it's biased and unfair to make statements like that. Before this season started, most on this board said he shouldn't even be a Miami QB. You are repeating the same mistake.

First, consistently utilizing his legs -- like he did last week. It opens up a totally new dimension of our offense. Defenses now have to be weary of his legs, too, which opens up the passing game.

Second, going through his progressions so that he isn't predetermining where he wants to throw the football. If he can learn and adjust to scanning the whole field, this offense will become scary, especially when we go 5 wide. He has the arm strength to make every throw, and our skill players have the ability to beat almost any defender they face 1-on-1.

Third, ball placement. If Rosier can be a little more accurate on some of his throws, our playmakers will have the opportunity to get huge yards after the catch. Putting players in a position to catch and run is a staple of good quarterback play.

Overall, he's been a pleasant surprise, but I really do believe he can continue to get better. The things I outlined above, in my opinion, are where he should start. I believe in him!

This. Consistency and accuracy

Advertisement

wow. thank you Captain obvious . so just about doing all the things he doesn't or can't do now.

You can't teach accuracy. You either have it or you don't. The staff has done a good job of tailoring the gameplan to Rosier's strengths but he's really a low ceiling guy hampered by physical shortcomings. He's a gamer and a pretty good athlete but his raw passing ability leaves a lot to be desired. That said, Miami doesn't need Rosier to be Baker Mayfield to win. He just needs to make the smart read and keep turnovers down while using his scrambling ability to move the chains.

Learn to throw the ball away (and/or run). This team is all about defense. Costly turnovers is what he needs to avoid. Do that and this team will go far.

Don't stare down receivers. He's getting better at this but still tends to still do it at times.

He's doing a great job over all.

Does the guy even need to be elite? Just get the ball to playmakers with better accuracy which will get better I hope.

Advertisement

wow. thank you Captain obvious . so just about doing all the things he doesn't or can't do now.

The thread posed a question, so I answered it. What's the problem, bud?

Continue listening and learning from his coaches. Continue practicing hard and developing a chemistry and rapport with his skill position teammates.
He will be fine if he does those things. He along with the rest of the team should take it up to the next level next year (which is scary for the rest of the college football world).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Throwing Better on the run when rolling out and making plays down the field passing when improvising

Everything Rosier needs to become an elite QB can be gained through coaching and game experience. He is not lacking any of the physical tools. The biggest thing that holds him back is that he has only played 9 games.

I don’t think he’ll ever be an elite QB. He doesn’t have to be though. What I’d like to see him improve on is progressing through his reads. This is a college issue though. Most college QBs lock on to 1 receiver and panic if they’re not open. Pocket awareness is also another issue I notice with Rosier. Too many times this season he’s taken off instead of feeling the pocket of whether that being stepping up in the pocket, side-stepping, etc. I know we love that he’s mobile but too many times this year he’s taken off for no reason. A lot of his accuracy issues are footwork. His feet are a mess at times. Whether that be not setting his feet when he throws, throwing off the back foot, etc. He’s a gamer and will make plays when needed. Hopefully he plays his best game this Saturday.

Why he actually played good 2 years ago in his lone start with a week to prepare.

What he needs to do. Get some touch on the ball. Get it over or around the DL. Stop making the awful throw. It is one thing to throw a pick 40 yards down field on 3 & 10 but the ones he threw Saturday were head scrathers. Take away the 3 INT and we get more points.

Advertisement
Back