How can Malik Rosier take his game to the next level?

Advertisement
You can't teach accuracy. You either have it or you don't. The staff has done a good job of tailoring the gameplan to Rosier's strengths but he's really a low ceiling guy hampered by physical shortcomings. He's a gamer and a pretty good athlete but his raw passing ability leaves a lot to be desired. That said, Miami doesn't need Rosier to be Baker Mayfield to win. He just needs to make the smart read and keep turnovers down while using his scrambling ability to move the chains.

You can't teach accuracy? You sure?

Rosier can take his game to the next level by doing three things:

First, consistently utilizing his legs -- like he did last week. It opens up a totally new dimension of our offense. Defenses now have to be weary of his legs, too, which opens up the passing game.

Second, going through his progressions so that he isn't predetermining where he wants to throw the football. If he can learn and adjust to scanning the whole field, this offense will become scary, especially when we go 5 wide. He has the arm strength to make every throw, and our skill players have the ability to beat almost any defender they face 1-on-1.

Third, ball placement. If Rosier can be a little more accurate on some of his throws, our playmakers will have the opportunity to get huge yards after the catch. Putting players in a position to catch and run is a staple of good quarterback play.

Overall, he's been a pleasant surprise, but I really do believe he can continue to get better. The things I outlined above, in my opinion, are where he should start. I believe in him!

wow. thank you Captain obvious . so just about doing all the things he doesn't or can't do now.

Good call, you're an insightful deep-thinking type.

Rather than improve on the things that would make him a better QB, he should convert to Buddhism, become a vegan and practice transcendental medication.

That's where you were going with that right? The hidden things no one thinks of when they think QB.

We are all surprised by the Rosier we have seen this far. What needs to happen for him to evolve into an elite college QB?

What do you look forward to watching change in his game in the next few weeks as he continues to get more and more comfortable?

What can he do to earn one if the better QB ratings in the country?
Rush more, the rush/throwing ratio of VT game is good

Advertisement
[]_[]nique;3080388 said:
You can't teach accuracy. You either have it or you don't. The staff has done a good job of tailoring the gameplan to Rosier's strengths but he's really a low ceiling guy hampered by physical shortcomings. He's a gamer and a pretty good athlete but his raw passing ability leaves a lot to be desired. That said, Miami doesn't need Rosier to be Baker Mayfield to win. He just needs to make the smart read and keep turnovers down while using his scrambling ability to move the chains.

You can't teach accuracy? You sure?

You really can't. You can try to teach fundamentals in footwork and motion to try to minimize poor throws but if you're not an accurate thrower, you're not going to become Tom Brady even with the best coaching. There's a reason why guys like Jack Allison or Arthur Sitkowski don't pan out. They can't hit their receivers consistently. We've seen enough from Malik to know he's not going to be a pinpoint passer. He misses badly on even short throws. ****, the touchdown pass that Herndon took to the house against Virginia Tech is the perfect example. Rosier has time, Herndon is wide open and he still has to make an crazy adjustment to catch a pass that traveled maybe 7 yards. Now, that doesn't mean Rosier can't be a solid college quarterback. **** Lamar Jackson won the Heisman trophy and he's not an accurate thrower either.

I want what I always want from Miami QB, win the games. So far he is perfect. Keep winning the rest of the season and he is elite in my book. You are a college QB and win the title = elite. NFL? That is different matter.

Advertisement
Limit mistakes.

Just check the ball down, he doesn't have to always be a gunslinger & try to fit the ball in high traffic areas where his accuracy tends to drop.

On some of his Deep throws, needs to throw the ball to the outside shoulder of the WR.

The INT he threw vs Duke, the INT vs UNC (might've been the one that was called back) & the INT vs Va Tech to JT4 were all on Deep balls that were under thrown to the inside shoulder which allowed the DB to track the ball & make a play. Throw it to the outside shoulder so the WR can adjust to it in the air & Highpoint the ball.

Also think we could move the pocket more and get him more in rhythm while keeping opposing DL's off balance, mixing in some called run plays too.

Overall, he doesn't need to be Elite, that's not his game, he just needs to protect the ball & use his legs & we'll be fine.

But, it shouldn't shock anyone that he has a propensity to throw some picks, D$ had been telling us since Spring that Rosier would throw a ton of INT's in practice & scrimmages.

That's just what he is as a QB, he can be Boom or Bust, Hot/Cold. Sometimes he'll be scolding hot & drop dimes all over the field & sometimes he'll be freezing cold, miss a lot of throws & throw a few picks.

But, he's always even keel & never rattled by the moment, he doesn't shrink or fold up when the pressure is on, he just keeps balling.

I'll take that every time, give me a kid that doesn't care he already threw 2-3INT's in game, but will still keep chucking it & isn't afraid to make the plays necessary to win.

Regurgitating what a few have said on this board, he needs to use his eyes better to control the defense. This ties together with being able to read the defense presnap. Comes with game time.

Not to say he's not a gamer already, but you asked what would make him elite.

Last edited:
Seems pretty simple:

1. Improve accuracy. He's been pretty inaccurate, as his completion percentage shows - 56% is not good enough.

2. GET CONSISTENT! This is maybe the most important. Dude is straight up and down like crazy.

3. Continue learning how to read a defense pre and post snap and working on making more than just 1-2 progressions.

4. No more interceptions. If you are going to throw a pick, make it down field going for a big play. 2.7 TD:INT ratio is not good enough. Needs to get that closer to 4 or higher.

Hopefully he'll be much improved next season.

Throwing it to our team would be something... But being serious, his pre and post snap reads could be better. Get through the progressions not just first read or bust. He did a much better job in the VT game of that and that's obviously a sign of learning and getting more comfortable. We just have to make the stage a little bigger and he'll perform better. Seems to be his MO

Advertisement
You can't teach accuracy. You either have it or you don't.

LOL...Kaaya's accuracy improved every year.

Hardly. His completion percentage went from 59% as a freshman to 61% as a sophomore to %62 as a junior.

I guess you can slightly improve accuracy but 3% over a three year span is nothing significant. Rosier is currently at 56% for the season. Even if he makes the 3% jump in one year, 59% is still below average for a college quarterback.

You can't teach accuracy. You either have it or you don't.

LOL...Kaaya's accuracy improved every year.

Hardly. His completion percentage went from 59% as a freshman to 61% as a sophomore to %62 as a junior.

I guess you can slightly improve accuracy but 3% over a three year span is nothing significant. Rosier is currently at 56% for the season. Even if he makes the 3% jump in one year, 59% is still below average for a college quarterback.

To be considered a pocket passer kaaya had inaccurate too throughout games but I guess some people like to forget that...

Advertisement
Everything Rosier needs to become an elite QB can be gained through coaching and game experience. He is not lacking any of the physical tools. The biggest thing that holds him back is that he has only played 9 games.

You cant improve accuracy. Either you are a accurate passer or not.

Rosier can take his game to the next level by doing three things:

First, consistently utilizing his legs -- like he did last week. It opens up a totally new dimension of our offense. Defenses now have to be weary of his legs, too, which opens up the passing game.

Second, going through his progressions so that he isn't predetermining where he wants to throw the football. If he can learn and adjust to scanning the whole field, this offense will become scary, especially when we go 5 wide. He has the arm strength to make every throw, and our skill players have the ability to beat almost any defender they face 1-on-1.

Third, ball placement. If Rosier can be a little more accurate on some of his throws, our playmakers will have the opportunity to get huge yards after the catch. Putting players in a position to catch and run is a staple of good quarterback play.

Overall, he's been a pleasant surprise, but I really do believe he can continue to get better. The things I outlined above, in my opinion, are where he should start. I believe in him!

I feel you, but this can describe basically every QB in the country who isn't perfect.

Everything Rosier needs to become an elite QB can be gained through coaching and game experience. He is not lacking any of the physical tools. The biggest thing that holds him back is that he has only played 9 games.

You cant improve accuracy. Either you are a accurate passer or not.

Bull****. Accuracy is a product of proper mechanics and repetition. Do it the right way over and over until your body knows no other way, and you'll be accurate.

Advertisement
Back